Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-06-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
I always close my eyes when im doing inverts and it is hindering me from progressing. I can land a hs backroll and tantrum (i do close my eyes) but im trying to land a scarecrow and dont spot my landing since i close my eyes.
Any advice to help me keep my eyes open?

*ill get this one out of the way*
--just keep your eyes open
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
TAPE
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Pick something ahead of time you want to spot, then during the trick find it. Thats the only way I can land blind, is if I pick something behind me/off what would be my new rear shoulder.... IF I don't find something ahead of time.... I don't know what happens, but its ugly.

Maybe just 100% concentrate on finding the wake below you.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-06-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hop on a tramp a bunch. THis is a serious problem you need to over come. You will never land an advance invert with your eyes closed. Having your eyes open not only allows you to spot your landing and helps with timing on things like handle passes when you inverted, and its the only way you will know if your going to land or not. What I mean by this is the bailout is impossible with your eyes closed. Take a trick like a back mobe for example, you can just do a r2r if you dont get the pop you need for the trick and not get spanked, with your eyes close you wont know where you are and get worked.

I really like nicks idea of spoting something right away before you leave the wake.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-06-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
thanks andy im gonna get on my tramp this afternoon and make myself keep my eyes open
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-06-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
no ploblem. I dont want to sound like debby downer but spoting landings and other visual keys with being inverted is key.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-06-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
I would just really concentrate on doing a trick (such as the backroll) that you have locked where you can focus all of your energy in getting your head around and spotting your landing. It takes practice though. I probably landed 75 backrolls before really ever spotting my landing.

The thing that did it for me was focusing on that one thing as well as really turning my head far into the rotation. On a backroll, if you keep your head looking straight then it's almost impossible to spot it early. You really have to get your chin to your shoulder and keep it there and just always be looking over your shoulder.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
FWIW take care of this issue NOW before it becomes a bad habit!!!

I still struggle with looking up on most of my tricks and it really makes things difficult because I have to rely on air awareness. You also get CLEANED OUT on some tricks if your not looking up.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
I still think tape would work best!
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-06-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
yup duct tape will fix anything.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-06-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
All good advice. I'm almost in the same boat; have four inverts under my belt (backroll, R2R, ts front, crow) but seldomly spot my landings. Need to work on it this summer, I really think it will help with consistency.
Old     (smithwake101)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-07-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
try the lasik eye surgery forceps
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-07-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
use the tramp...once your comfortable upside down while looking at your landing you'll be able to do it on the water. I had this problem with almost every invert i learned, and it just took the repeatativeness to become comfortable enough to "slow time down" and look around.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
if it has anything to do with water spray and or sun hitting your eyes you could try getting some trendy floating sun-glasses/goggles?
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-08-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
make sure to get some croakies for those sunglasses so the can hang around your neck when you are not wearing them
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
There was an article about this in WBM a while ago. I think it was B.Greenwood that wrote that he thought he was closing his eyes when he would go upside down but it was just that he was spinning so fast that his eyes and brain would not register what he was seeing.
With time, your brain and eyes will adjust and you'll start to register what you're actually seeing. It takes time and concentration. You'll get it!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Staples, stainless steel so they don't rust.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-10-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
tramp helps so much its not even funny.
same thing happens to me.... its all about feeling the rotation. i can tell as soon as i hit the wake if im going to land or not. just pound out the rotation like 20 times on a tramp or just do it a bunch on the wake untill you really can "do it with your eyes closed"
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
im gonna go with what justin said about greenwood.. soemtimes when you do a trick your brain can really register what your doing fast enough... so if you keep your mind focused on a certain point like looking for the water and when you come around your brain should just focus directly on the water. (did that make any sense)

the only other thing that helps is practice.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-10-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Ryan, you are alright. Just giggled to myself when I saw this.