Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
I am getting 2 custom surf boards built this year! Both are parabolic (for some reason I prefer them) and s-glass. I was going to do carbon rails but the shaper talked me out of it. He thinks it would be too stiff with the parabolic stringers. One is a 5 fin thresher so I can run it as a thruster or a quad. The other is a chaos double haul board. This will be a sort of copy of the prototype they made last year. Its the board I ended up surfing the most last year. It's the fastest thing I have ever ridden. I constantly have to put the brakes on it from hitting the boat. It's also much looser feeling the elevation or comp1 or hazen. Plus my airs were huge (for me) and I landed a air 180 revert a few times on it!! Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
The first two pics are of the chaos prototype from last year.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-23-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
It would be Cool to see that Chaos board!! Way to go Duffy!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-23-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
Nice!
S-Glass is the way to go. So much stronger than standard glass, and even stronger than carbon (but not as stiff as carbon). I dont know why more shapers use it. It's more expensive, but worth it.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
The chaos board is so sick. I can't explain it. It does pearl a little easier then the elevation but with time I learned to not do that.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       02-24-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
I have been riding the tripleX slayer and love to ride these double concave tails. It is a weird sensation how they seem to build a lot of speed in the tail of the board as opposed to the front like most other board. Definitely a cool board you have in the makes, can’t wait to see a finished product!!
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-24-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
That does look cool! I can't wait to see it finished and to hear how it rides.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Here is what the shaper came up with for paint on the thresher. Looks sick.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Pictures of chase ripping on the chaos prototype.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-24-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
I think RJ is going to getting something like that also, can't wait to see him try it out. Cool looking board.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
The bottom of the board is special also. It isn't flat like normal.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the thresher done. Working with Nick at Shred Stixx has been great. The guy sure knows shaping!! He is even going to finish my balsa board for me. Here is a link to order a custom stixx. Can't wait for him to start on my chaos!!!

http://store.slayshtank.com/collecti...-custom-series
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-24-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
So the Chaos boards are not Shred Stixx? It's Nick's separate brand? Is that who Chase rides for now?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
Sorry. Chaos is a protoype design from shred stixx. Nick is the shaper for shred stixx. So Chase still rides for them. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Super pumped, love how the paint came out.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-24-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Nice boards Duffy. Makes me want another board. I have owned a Thresher for a few seasons and really like it.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Custom thresher that is a quad and parabolic might be my favorite stick ever!! The custom ones are so much better then the old mass produced ones. From personal opinion the thresher is be board I have seen the most air on, but that was also behind wheelhouse's monster wave.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
Oh wow, crazy... I do miss that board. I like every aspect of it, especially the paint job. So to sum it up or clarify, Chaos or Chaos Customs (not to be confused with Chaos Surfboards in NSW; I was making board first under the Chaos label, but we do not really compete in the market place), or Kaos (in Pennsylvania or something) or Chaos Snowboards (who also tried making Chaos labeled surfboard for awhile out in California), is one of my surfboard labels. The first surfboard label I had back in the 80's was Nick Stixxs (it was short lived, and very neon 80s), which is kind of foretelling that I would become the Shred Stixx shaper/designer many years later.

As far as the board specifically, it is a board I made for myself in 2009. It was what I was calling project X or model X (literally X not 10). I had watched speed racer and thought 'racer X' was cool for a board name, then decided on model X. Come 2012, P5 now has a model X. Not sure about their etymology or if it is "X" or "10". So, I am not sure if I will continue to call the line Model X or not. The board also served as an idea of the direction we could take the Comp 1.0 at the time. If you follow Shred Stixx or Slayshtank you already know we choose to go the route of the elevation/hazen and evolve that direction back then. We did use the board for some production videos and stills. It photos well with all the color.

In 2011, Duffy contacted me looking a demo or used board for a friend, either an elevation or hazen, something. We didn't have any so, I offered up my board, and now it has a 'better' home, albeit colder......
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-27-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Robert, I just saw your note. Below is the board I am putting together for RJ. I decided to give him a specialty board I was making for myself. I will send you all the tech going in to the board as writeup with the board when it is ready, but the basics are it is a version of the 'carbon flex pro'. It starts as a stringerless INT blank (not EPS). Marko INT foam is a hybrid of EPS and EPE (same as Hurley "Phantom foam", which is being hyped pretty hard these days). I have worked with Marko for a couple years playing with this foam and its uses for high end performance surfboards. Chase's last winning board that he pretty much rode all last year was made out of INT foam. The parabolic stringers are not true stringers but bamboo/carbon fiber struts that connect from the forward fins and run up toward the nose. They are internal and do not go through the deck. It will be skinned with a composite of s-glass and a proprietary knitted cloth that binds the fiberglass layers and helps prevent spider cracks without all the added weight and other complication of ballistic style fibers like Kevlar. Below is a pic of a potential logo mock up. Right now is the time to decide it you like this or want something different as far as logo placement. Also the fins are dummy fins for box installation. I added Canard fins, since RJ seems to like to ride what some would call a "twinzer". I had not planned on making RJ what some are hyping as the "chaos" model, but I am happy to send out one for you all to review or for a demo day some time this year.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
Looks pretty cool to me. I know RJ will dig it. All that tech sounds pretty cool, even though I don't follow a lot of it. All those fins look like shark teeth or something. ;-)

I will show RJ when he gets home, he will be pretty stoked for sure.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-27-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
6 fins!?!?!? WOW!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-27-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
I bet he runs it as a quad or a twinzer. Not all 6. But I could be wrong.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
I am sure he will have fun trying it both ways. And then I am sure Chris Wolter will also. I know he got a new model late last year he was pretty stoked about, not sure how similar.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-27-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
how fast are these boards gonna be with all those fins?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-27-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
Should be no more then 4 fins
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-09-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
Thresher is fully done. I can't wait to shred on her!
Attached Images

Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-09-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
nice board Duffy
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-01-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
Here is the beginning of the chaos shape. Looks sweet!
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
With fin boxes installed. I am getting so stoked for summer!
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-03-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
That's a cool looking board. Its funny, I see that nose, and now it reminds me of the mojo and the G23. lol
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-04-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Ha, I totally see that too. The parabolics or perimeter stringers are kind of reminiscent of the side/seam molding.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-04-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
This board is gonna rock!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
So I finally got a break in the weather and got a chance to surf my new board! The Chaos board is a complete game changer. Faster, releases but still carves so well. Recovery was ridiculous! It doesn't even want to pearl (which was an issue with the first board). I have surfed a lot of boards over the years but not all and this is hands down the best of the best for surf style that I have surfed. This is still with rocking stock fins! Also my airs where huge compared and I almost landed a 180 revert! As you can probably tell I am super stoked!!! This is a CNC build so everyone should be able to order one. If anyone is in my area feel free to come check her out.

Here are some comparison pics of the chaos prototype and my new 2012 model.
Attached Images

Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       06-15-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Nice the boards look a lot different with those changes, any pics of you riding it Duffy?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
I will do a little go- pro and picture taking this weekend. I still han't to try a true flyboy.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-15-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
WOW... those concaves are SERIOUS!!! Looks like a really sweet board... I am hoping to try out something similar soon
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Looks awesome. Looking at those pics, I just couldn't see how that tail would make it faster, but hearing from you, that is cool. Can't show RJ, he will get jealous. ;-)