Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
I have a traditional Malibu wedge (not the power one, but the bronze colored one) that has sheered off the screws and bent one of the arms 90 degrees. I have a machinist working on it now but he thinks he needs to heat it up to bend it back to a straight position. Does anyone know the composite material that the wedge is made up of and whether or not it should be heated to bend back or if would crack w/o heating it? Thanks!!
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-09-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
Not sure what it is made of but that was found to be a defect. I would contact Malibu...they may help you out. i know in the past they were replacing the ones that did that.
Old     (endlessbreak)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-09-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
I read somewhere that it is manganese bronze. I believe you should plunge it if you are going to anneal it (heat it). However, you can easily cold bend it.
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-09-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I have a traditional Malibu wedge (not the power one, but the bronze colored one) that has sheered off the screws and bent one of the arms 90 degrees. I have a machinist working on it now but he thinks he needs to heat it up to bend it back to a straight position. Does anyone know the composite material that the wedge is made up of and whether or not it should be heated to bend back or if would crack w/o heating it? Thanks!!
We have one sitting in our back storage room from when he had Malibus way back when. Not sure what area you're in but throwing that out there.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
I'm in Virginia. Just outside of DC if you're anywhere near there.

I'm pretty sure the one I have is made of Nibral (Nickel, Bronze, Aluminum) . It is a defect, it happened once before and was fixed under warranty. I'm having the machinist drill an extra screw in the bottom of the foil which I heard was a good fix. Just wasn't sure about heating that material. I eventually called a prop shop (same material) and they said they can be heated so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the guy doesn't crack it.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2013, 2:16 PM Reply   
You should probably ask on The Malibu Crew, where you have a large number of Malibu owners, many of which have repaired manual wedges. Mine never broke (and is for sale), but I'm selling a complete package and not just the foil.
Old     (jolsen0808)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-02-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
Nitrousbird, are you still selling your wedge? I am in the market for one. I'd like to know how much you are selling it for if it's still available.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-03-2013, 1:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen0808 View Post
Nitrousbird, are you still selling your wedge? I am in the market for one. I'd like to know how much you are selling it for if it's still available.
Yes. $650 shipped.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-03-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
same thing happened to me, then I posted on themalibucrew.com and a guy in Canada send me one for $350. Mind you this was 4 years ago.