Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-28-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
What is the best way to hook an ipod up to our 03 SAN. We don’t have an AUX input so I might have to use an FM Transmitter. Any other ideas?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-28-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Does it have a tape deck? Ha!

What's the audio setup in that boat? Are any speakers powered directly from the receiver or does it just feed amps? If it's the latter then you can get a $60 Clarion EQ with aux input.

You can make/buy an adapter for the disk changer ports on some receivers that will give you an aux input too.
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-28-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
its the stock radio with a cd player, I want to say it says AUX when you hit the CD button but not sure. its wired to an 500 wat amp with 10 sub and two speakers up top
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-28-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
CJ,
Here is a bit if info about your situation.
If you update your HU to a contemporary XMD unit you will have to replace any existing remote controls, cables and 'Y' adapters as the Clarion language has changed. Fitting a remote control at the helm when its a different size and shape complicates matters too.
If your unit does not have a rear RCA auxilary input then there is a revision to the changer DIN cable input that will allow a clean auxilary input. This requires a switched loop to open up the cd changer input.
A wireless FM modulator is terrible by any standard. A hardwired FM modulator is vastly improved over wireless depending on the quality of the unit that you use, although at best it is a big reduction in quality from a true hardwired auxilary. Keep in mind that modulated VHF band technology was used to inject a VHS player into a TV without a composite input. That had to cover L & R audio, verticle, horizontal and all the video info which was considerably more complex. So it can work and pass if you are understanding that the quality isn't great. This can be a less expensive way to go until you have more reason to upgrade your source electronics.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-28-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
I have a wireless adaptor that you tune the radio to an unoccupied station and receive the Ipod- it works- OK- not great- dynamics are lost a bit, but it's an option..
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-28-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Definitely get the wired FM modulator. Their easy to install inline with the FM antenna, and sounds way better than the wireless ones.
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-29-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
where can i get a wired FM modulator?
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-29-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
and would I have to remove the head unit to install it?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-29-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
and would I have to remove the head unit to install it?
Not if you have access to the port where the antenna plugs into the rear of the unit without removing it. Basic install procedure will be to connect the modulator to power, remove the antenna cable from the head unit and plug it into the modulator, then plug the modulator's cable into the head unit's antenna port.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-29-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
BTW if you have the Clarion XMD-1 this would be the optimal way to handle it:
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...Clarion-XMD-1&
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
we have an '02 SAN...just upgraded the head unit to a newer version (I think we actually did this back in '05). Upgraded similar unit was cheap on eBay ( i bought a refurb), and the swap out was so simple i did it myself in like 30 minutes. not a bad investment for a few hundred bucks.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-29-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
I just went through this as well. I tried the wireless transmitter i use in the truck. Didnt work so good. I have a 2003 Tige that cmae with the Clarion CMD1. I bit the bullet and upgraded to the CDM 5. Went with a refirb off ebay. Also like mentioned above new cables and Y adapter to go with new remotes. So yeah I spent close to $500 on the deal but it was worth it. Now if I had to do it again I might just go with a wetsounds 420 and forget the head unit all together. I only use Ipod so i dont really need a head unit.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2011, 10:55 PM Reply   
Life is too short to hassle with stuff like this, just upgrade to an XMD3 or CMD5, instant gratification.
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-30-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
yea i dont need a head unit at all really. is there a way to hook it up straight through the amp
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-30-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
yea i dont need a head unit at all really. is there a way to hook it up straight through the amp
Get the clarion eqs746... gives you tower/cabin control, master volume, sub control, and an ipod connection. $45.95 at amazon today with free shipping.
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       06-30-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
so would i just disconnect the head unit all together? how hard is the clarion eqs746. to hookup
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-30-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
you can go headunit output to eq to amps or you can go eq to amps, but if you do that you also need to figure a way to turn the eq and the amps on (the amps are likely being turned on right now by the headunit's remote output lead, so if you take the HU out of the equation there won't be anything telling the amps to turn on). That can be fixed with a simple on-off rocker switch.

Not too hard to install. A couple hours for a newb, 30 minutes? for a pro.
Old     (CJ)      Join Date: May 2011       04-08-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
Don't want to spend more than 50, we don't play anything but an iPod
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Don't want to spend more than 50, we don't play anything but an iPod
Wet Sounds WS-VC for $59.00. 3.5MM headphone socket w/volume control.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/produ...cessories.html
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-08-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
Dude new decks are like $130 installed go buy a new one
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-09-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
If your head unit has a port to plug in a CD changer, chances are you can find an adaptor cable that plugs in there to allow the addition of an MP3 player. Look on ebay. I found one for my old Kenwood head unit for less than 10 bucks and it worked great.