Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Guys (and gals)-

Have an acquaintance who has narrowed his search to two boats. Both of them are being sold as NEW, with full factory warranties. The prices of the two boats are identical, so no difference there. I am not too familiar with Sanger, and I have owned an ’00 moomba outback and ’05 supra 21v, so I am very comfortable and like skier’s choice. But this isn’t my boat we are making the decision on. Because I am not too familiar with Sanger, I thought I would post this to get some of your opinions.

Below is the links to the two boats. The Sanger that he is most interested in is the maroon one.

http://idahowatersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=04414636X9K2K2009J5I02I 24JPMQ2921R0&veh=58921&pov=977669

http://prestigewatersports.com/V230.php

Thanks in advance guys!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-02-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Looking at both boats as objectively as I can it's the Sanger hands down for me. It has all the stuff full ballast, wake plate,PP. Tell him to step to the black V237 they have though. Yes, Iv'e been in and around both well V215 which is the same just a little smaller.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-02-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
I really like the look of that V230. It also looks like it has PP, trim tab, bimini, depth finder, triple ballast. Loaded boat.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
Definitely go with Sanger. I would have bought one myself if there was a decent dealer close enough to us.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-02-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
another vote for the sanger, and wow that maroon and white 230 is beautiful!!!!!
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
+1 for the Sanger, night and day difference rough water ride. Most people that I know that have purchased a Moomba end up buying something else in a couple of years. Look at how long most of the Sanger owners have had their boats, just my personal experience.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-02-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
I love sanger but i would go with the XLV. From what i read it also has the 3 bag system plus PP board racks and my all time favorite Z5 cargo rack/bimini. depending on who made the sanger trailer the trailers on moomba/supra's are usaully a bit nicer.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-02-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
THe Z5 cargo is sweet but you pretty much have to have that up all the time. I also don't care for their towers, the cross members look chinsy to me. Nicer trailer? Seriously? My SBT trailer is plenty nice. I'm not anti Moomba.

Bryan, Damn straight that combo looks clean and classy.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-02-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
...i would lean the xlv way....looks like its got the heater....cant see it on the Sanger.

.....having the playpen bow ////i dont know that i could live without it! You can also fold up the cushions in the walkway to give 2 more backrests one for the front and on for the back.

i would def. look at both and see what features each boat has , but from the look of it the xlv is more ready....it also has 340 hp....what does the sanger have?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-02-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
XLV is an incredible boat. I have rode behind quite a few in my day, and they have an awesome wake with just stock ballast. Add more and you have a party. Skier's Choice is also very good with customer service, and it doesn't hurt that the interior is very comfortable and accomidating for loads of people
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
330 HP in the Sanger. The SBT trailer has aluminum wheels not the cheap chrome steel ones on the Moomba. Bryan will agree with me on this one that the Chubby tower on the Sanger is one of the best.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
Guys- thanks for the info, we appreciate it. In case anyone is wondering, both the local moomba & Sanger dealerships are GREAT so from a dealer standpoint, it's a wash. Thanks again & keep it coming!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
Do Sangers still have wood stringers? If so that would be the deciding factor for the XLV.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
The stringers on the Sanger are still wood, but they are completely encapsulated in fiberglass, and there is a lifetime warranty on the hull. Do not let this be a deciding factor in the purchase. The wood stringers is the reason why Sanger has the best rough water characteristics of any of the inboard style boats. I think they actually offer an option to have all fiberglass, but I am thinking this may only be special order boats.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-02-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
Sanger all the way. For resale reason alone- Sangers are easy to resell.
Old     (cory_h)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-02-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
I have an 07 GG XLV and love it, the wake is big and it has a wicked surf wake. I would lean to the XLV just because you are getting an 08 and they updated the hull in 2008 which is a big plus in my book, the cargo rack is sweet and it has the three bag ballast - in the pictures of the Sanger it looks like it just has rear ballast?? If it was the Sanger V237 then it would be a different story cause that is one sweet boat. Another negative on the V230 for me is that chubby tower, looks dated to me and it's past it's time.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-02-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
AtTheLake, the Sanger uses Aquabeam which carries a lifetime warranty and won't rot even if it were not completely glassed. In essence it's an engineered plywood. They use it for all wood in the boat, even stuff that is not structural. It's one of the reasons I chose Sanger over Moomba.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-02-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
you have the choice of composite or aquabeam this year from sanger i believe. if i was buying a new sanger i would chose aquabeam. its proven, it works, it makes the boat that much better of a ride. look at any high end 6 figure fishing boat i.e graddy white boston wahler etc.. wood stringers for a reason. and the chubby tower is solid, clean and easy to mount as many racks lights etc. you want. just my .02 cents. and ill second rich on the resale.
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-03-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
go with the moomba. the service department at iws is awesome, and cory in the shop is one of the most knowledgable I have ran into.
I've spoken to the prestige guys and once they told me they sell reinell to keep the service department open, lost all respect for them.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-03-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
Never been in a V230 but the XLV is a killer boat.

I would take them boat out if possible and check out the wakes
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-03-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Scott- Interesting...yes- the IWS guys are all GREAT, Abe, Jason, Gordy, Cory, Kyle, Justin etc...

As for Prestige- that's who I got my Epic through this past May and I have not had any negative experiences. Very surprised that Tyrell would say something like that to you??? Even if he was thinking it, not like him to say that, definitely out of character for him??? At least with my experiences.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-03-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Scott, that makes no sense. Not saying they didn't say it but it makes no sense. Reinell's either use mercruiser or volvo(at Copes it was all volvo) which are the same engines and outdrives as any other I/O. Also Reinell's might be the most simple boat ever. It is basically a hull with a couple seats and an engine. The only issues would come from vinyl, gauges, or the engine/outdrive.

(Message edited by polarbill on September 03, 2009)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
It's weird in the XLV description it list a 325hp and 409hp motor as possibilities then goes on to say this one is a 340hp motor!?

The Sanger does have the triple ballast, wake plate, pp etc. and couldn't be more ready to go.

Dude needs to drive em both check out the handling, the rough water ride, hang from the tower, get a pull and check out the wake, check out the interior's on both.

I love the stringer argument...guess what guys thats a plus!
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-03-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
that's what the guy told me, was in fall of '07. lost it for them after that. went in for 2 new plugs for the back of our supra as they are closer than iws, started talking to the guy and it came up in conversation.

I do have to say I'm biased against prestige as in spring of '08, rolling toward the marina at lucky peak after a weekend of camping, one of their salesman demo'ing a black epic rolled 50ft off our bow at surf speeds sending rollers across our bow. we were loaded down with camping gear. buddies cellphone was ruined and took 2 days to dry the boat out. when I called on monday to talk to the manager to find out who owned the boat to thank them, owner told me it was his salesman. made it sound like it was no big deal..

been mentioned here a ton, but if it's my money, compare both on the water and one will stand out as the clear winner.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-04-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
BUs, MCs, Centurions, and all other major inboard manufacturers went all fiberglass composite materials since the mid to late 90s. Must be a reason for this and the handling is going to be much more a function of hull shape than materials, though wood would be less rigid. No doubt the treated wood of today is different than the wood you see in rotted boats of the 80s and early 90s but only time will tell how well the treated materials will hold up. And I have seen first hand fiberglass encased stringers rot.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-04-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
UPDATE-

Guys, thanks for the input. He went with the '08 Mobius XLV. Didn't even test drive the Sanger.

Thanks again,
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-04-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
I'd go with the Mob but I'm biased.

Happy Moomba Owner, Signing In.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-04-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Hey ICE-a, I saw a study once where only half the new cars sold are test driven. Oh well, he'll be happy anyway. You don't find many people that tell you they don't like there new whatever, or that they didn't get a good deal on it.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-04-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Art- well put, have a safe weekend!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-04-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
AtTheLake, I believe the reason the major inboard manufacturers went to all composite is because it is cheaper to manufacture. Wood is used for its resiliency and ability to recover back to its original shape.

ICE, your buddy should have test driven the Sanger, but honestly his options were pretty good. Looked like it was split 50/50 on here and I think that is because it would be hard to go wrong with either boat. Hope you guys enjoy the new ride!
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-04-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
There are obviously limitations on the lifetime hull warranty from Sanger. If sold as new, not a problem, but resale could be a problem for a potential buyer. I have recently been "educated" on the lifetime warranty. 6 months ago I would have said the same thing "can't go wrong with a Sanger". Now, not so much.....
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Steve, what did you find out about the lifetime warranty? I am just curious.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-07-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Too bad he went Mobius. Sangers are top notch, but get treated like red headed step children. Your buddy should have watched these...

http://www.sangerboats.com/craftsmanship.html

There would be very few questions after-wards.

-Toneus
Proud V-230 owner
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-07-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
"Too bad he went Mobius"

I think he came out on top personally.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-07-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
I was going to go with an 08 Mobius xlv BUT it came with the little 325hp motor. I heard that the boat struggles with a load of people and full ballast (plus extra ballast) with the 325hp. I went with Epic although I did like the xlv interior better.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-07-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
Toneus, those vids on the Sanger website (while not the most professional production job) are quite convincing. If they did as good of a job producing the videos as say Nautique does in theirs with Shaun Murray, they'd probably sell more boats. Regardless, it's a quality boat that rides REALLY well.