Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    helicoach1            02-05-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
I have 50K to buy a boat. a 19YR OLD WHO THINKS HE IS AN X-WAKEBOARDER(HES OK NOT x) a 22 YR OLD WHO THINKS HES A TOURNAMENT SLALOM SKIER(HES NOT)AND HE WAKEBOARDS PRETTY GOOD. I AM GETTING A V-DRIVE. MALIBU,TIGE,MASTERCRAFT OR SUPRA? HELP
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-05-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
Well we have only pulled a skier once, the wake seemed pretty small, he said it was real good for a wakeboard boat. The wakeboarding wake is well world class the same hull as the VLX, but since its longer it takes a lil more weight to get the same wake, but that means a better slalom wake. we got our LSV for around 50k, we didnt get tower speakers or amps or a sub. I really like our boat, great step up from an 87 four winns
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-05-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
Should be able to get a new vlx for around 50 optioned out prett nicely. If you have a 50/50 ski to wakebaord ratio you may wanna look at malibus sunscapes since they ski a little better. The mastercraft x-2/x-10 may also fit the bill but they very a lot in price, and supra wise maybe a 22 ssv, but i have not skied that model. Personally I would look at those 3 brands, the tiges I have skied on have not been on par with the mastercrafts and malibus, but that is my opinion. Supra is a good bargain in many ways, I think if I didn't have my vlx, or if malibu changed something and I didn't like it, it would be my second choice. I don't think the quality is on par with mastercraft, nautique, and malibu but for the money they are a good value and they throw a nice wake.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-06-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
Even though it's not on your list of manufacturers i think the sanger 215 would foot the bill perfectly. it is a great v drive boat with lots of room and great performance. and i would think that you could get one pretty loaded for well less than 50k.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Supra Launch 22ssv-by far the best Ski/wakeboard crossover v-drive out there. You should be able to pick one up pretty loaded for under $50k
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-06-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
I would look for a direct drive if you are skiing and wakeboarding. Demo anything you can. You don't have to spend 50K to get a great boat either.
Old    powerstroke            02-06-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
i have a 5k yes i said 5k boat that i believe to be great for both. my question to all on here???? i always hear everyone sweating the size of the wake. i dont think the boat makes a good wakeboarder at all. i watch some videos of guys on wake pics doing huge flips and all kinds of things behind fishing boats and bayliners with small wakes. just some food for thought. hell with 50k you could buy a wake specific and a ski specific boaat if you wanted
(you know 1 of each). i would definitley look around before you go walking into a dealer saying hey i got a lot of cash what can you sell me. just my .02 happy shopping

(Message edited by powerstroke on February 06, 2005)
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-06-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I just ordered a 05 VLX for the ballapark you are in. Have fun with it. A friend we boat with has a Tige 22i and loves it for both sports. Runs less than 50 too!
Old    bambamski            02-06-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
x-2, if you doing 50/50. Best two sport boat.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-06-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
i would go malibu xti or sunscape line for dual sports, they are great all around.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-06-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
If you are interested in malibu boats, check out www.malibuboatowners.com great community
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-06-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
You could do very well with the Tige. Guys on this board are going to get tired of hearing it, but the TAPS is going to give you the most versatility for both sports. Really you need to test drive a lot to see what fits your needs.

Based on EJ's Salt Lake City boat show pics (check out the other threads), you may have to get a meagerly equipped Malibu to stay under 50K. I don't know if prices are better if you actually talk to them rather than accepting posted prices. I beleive the VLX was way out of your price range, but I'm sure the XTi will be less. A well equipped Tige 22V will probably land in your range.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on February 06, 2005)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-06-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
you may want to check out the nautique 211..has a nifty little hydrogate device that allows you change the wake for skiers and wakeboarders..

i couldnt tell you how the ski wake is ( havent used it yet), but the wakeboard wake is fist class..
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-06-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Tailgate - I just got a well equiped 05 VLX for 50.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-06-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
opps typo...first class..
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-06-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
All the tow boats in the $40 to 50K range are pretty nice, just pick the lay out color and CLOSE by dealer you like. Oh and don't worry about the ski wake the few skiers that are left will cross over once the come to their senses,
skis just don't look cool in the racks anyway.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-06-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
helicoach1;
I can put you into a Supra ar Sanger nicely equiped and probably leave you with some change.
where are you located?
Old    jzwake            02-07-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
You may be able to score a 211 From CC for a tad over 50k. Sopposedly that is the crossover boat to have.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-07-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
The Utah boat show had the VLX for 69K. That seemed like way too much, but it's in black and white on EJ's Utah boat show thread.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-07-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
Yea, but that is one boat by one dealer. The one at the new york show was going for 53 and that was before any negotiating. It had a ton of options to, including the blade tower which i know adds some $'s to it.
Old    bambamski            02-07-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
The question was which boat will be good for both skiing and boarding. The new VLX won't do skiing well at all.

You have to ask do you want a v-drive or a direct drive?

Direct drive That will ski really well and board ok
Tige 21i
MC X-9
BU XTI
Supra Launch

Vdrive that will board great and ski ok
X-2
SAN211
Tige 20V

to name a couple.

There are more choices for sure. But don't tell John that the new VLX is going to ski as well as something like an X-2. You really can't get a V-drive over 21 feet that will ski that well at all.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Spend 40K on a Sanger 215 and have the best of both worlds and pocket the 10K for gas&vacation money!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-07-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Seriously... They had 215's at the P-town boat show that were fully loaded with 3 bag ballast, bumpin' system with tower box painted to match, bimini, colored top deck for $39,900. Its a pretty hard deal to beat. Just ask any of the other boat salesmen there. They are super sick boats. I'd forgotten how good the Sanger wake was until I rode behind mine again on saturday for the first time in a few months.

Other top choices on my list would definitely include the X-2. The wake looks small and flat when unweighted and is sick when weighted. Couldn't tell you how well it skied, just how it looks unweighted (my ski hasn't seen water in 5 years).
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-07-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
Pat;

I will have to disagree with you about a 21 foot + wakeboard boat that won't ski well. The Sanger V215 with just the fixed plate (Comes stock) will give you a quality ski wake at 26+. If you want to get a truly comp ski wake add the adjustable plate ($800 ballpark) and get the best of both worlds.

(Message edited by Sanger215guy on February 07, 2005)
Old    bambamski            02-07-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
Gary, there will be some exceptions, I've never been in a V215 so I can't comment. Most V-drives over 21 feet won't be good for skiing then. Is that better?

My point was, a lot of the new boats in the 22 to 23 foot range are not being designed to be good ski boats. They're family/wakeboard boats.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-07-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
hey look way up there in the thread.
Who said v215 from the start, oh wait that's me.
actually i'm glad some other people agree with me. I don't own a sanger but i've been in them and i have to say that sangers are the most solid boat i've been in. They are built to last and priced to sell. the 215 competes with boats priced 10k higher than it, You really can't go wrong with the v215.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-08-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Pat;

I agree that there are alot of boats built wake specific and the waterski ability is compromised. I would just hate to see some one read are threads looking for a wake/ski boat and think that they are limited to a direct drive to still be able to ski. I just thought it would be some info on Sangers performance that some might not realise. If you get a chance to ride/drive a V215, do so. I think you will be pleasantly suprised on how good af a boat they really are. Enough of my Sanger praise. But thanks for the props Matthew...
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-09-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
myke, didn't i see a thread a week or so ago that you were thanking someone for teaching you how to go wake to wake? If so, how could you be giving qualified information on first class wakes? If you have never skied behind your own boat, then how would know how it skis?
Old     (blev2)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-09-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
My best friend and roomate has a 2005 Tige 22v. It is amazing for when we wakeboard and when his mom wants to ski she can and its a great wake for that too. great storage space and excellent service. i recomend the Tige 22v over any other boat. Decked out for under $50,000
Old     (greygoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Go witht the Supra Launch 22 SSV. Empty the ballast and put the hydraulic wake plate all the way down. The boat is looks great, is solid, and you can get one loaded out with the Indmar 340hp MPI and all the bells and whistles for under 45K. It comes standard with a tandem axle trailer.

The goose