Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-04-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
ok need some advice on a board, im 5ft11in and weigh 260, im just a beginner, what brand board and size would you recommend?? i mostly drive the boat, but i want to give it a try, im on lake powell 6-10 weeks a year on my houseboat. have a supra 24ssv thanks in advance!!!}
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
No brand is necessarily better than another. of course people have preferences (as do i myself), made after trying a few different boards and riding for a bit of time.

try to ride as many boards as possible between now and the time you buy to get an idea of what you like.

You will want something that is in the mid 140cm's in length

one board that one cant go wrong with is the
LiquidForce Trip (146cm)

shop around for last year's deals
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-04-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
I have not ridden the 2009 model, but the cwb Kink 146 looks pretty legit for you and your skill, but it also allows for you to keep the same board as you become a better rider as opposed to getting just a beginner board
http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=19892&cat=293&page=1
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-05-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
thanks for the suggestions,,,keep them coming
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-05-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
ill sell my liquid force 2008 Watson 142 brand new for 200 to you. nothin wrong with it, im just ridin a different board and got the watson for a killer deal so now im getting rid of it. Ive heard a lot of good things about this shape. PM me if your interested and ill send pics
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
Hello Mike,

Welcome to the sport of wakeboarding.

Some folks might say right off, "man you are a little heavy for wakeboarding".
I say, BS!

My son in law is right at 300 lbs (I'm at 225) and he is one of the most aggressive riders in our posse and is in his third season, so... for starters I congratulate you for jumping into the sport, it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Just keep it simple to start, set realistic goals, one step at a time, don't try to ride beyond your ability and have fun.

Lots of good suggestions here in the discussion forum but don't take everything you hear or see on it as the gospel, including what I say about it. You got to do some research on your own to separate the real deal from the BSers.

For my two cents I would start out with a large beginner/intermediate board.

Some will argue about what you need and give this opinion or that but because of your weight you "probably" need a 147cm wakeboard as a starter.

"Generally speaking" the bigger the board the more lift/surface area you have for deep water starts etc, so don't go small.

Sometimes a bigger board like this can be harder to control on spins inverts etc but I assume you have a long way to go before you start trying those tricks and you are at the very beginning stages of learning the "basic fundamentals" to start out with.

You should look at the wakeworld.com board tool/wizard as well to help you make a decision.

Mike, get a "Catch Free" shape, not a pro-board.
In other words you need a board with rounded tip ends and edges to start with. I can't over emphasize this Mike.

I would get something that has a "mellow" ride and is very forgiving on edge as I mentioned above. I have seen some beginners go out and buy expensive pro boards with radical/abrupt 3-stage rockers, variable edges, and funky/catchy shaped tips that caused them to spend more time face planting than real riding.

Don't fall into that trap when starting out.

There are lots of choices but based on your weight and beginner level, the board I would choose for you if it was up to me would be something similar to the 147cm Liquid Force Rhythm, also know as the "Huckster".

If you are looking for a "Hoss Board", then this has your name written all over it!

We love the Huckster!

You can still find these on eBay and they are just a great first time beginner board!

My very large son in law learned how to wakeboard on it and we use this board to teach many of our new riders with great success.

It is very cool seeing a 300 lb dude getting air and doing surface 360's like a mug on the Huckster!

The LF Rhythm is an older ride but seeing it should give you an idea of what I think you should be looking for in a "shape" for a beginners board, here are a couple links to check:

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/GetReview.asp?ProductID=1076

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard3.asp?ProductID=1391

As you progress you can always buy a more advanced board later and keep the beginner model around as a back up and use it to teach others how to ride when you become the "Shez".

I would also recommend starting out with a continuous rocker or at most a subtle 3-stage. CWB makes one of the best beginner boards ever made called the "Sol" it is rated for your weight but is only a 141cm board http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard7.asp?ProductID=2977. The Sol does not win any prizes in the most pop department but it is easy on deep water starts because it is neutrally buoyant. The Sol is very stable, fun and easy to ride. You can change out the stock fins to smaller P wings or ride it finless for a looser feel as well.

Another very mellow board is the Hyperlite Motive, http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4815. The Motive is a great all around board, very forgiving and has a mellow ride, a better first board than the Motive would be hard to find.

Another great beginner board is the LF Omega: http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard8.asp?ProductID=3616
Again you can see the more rounded tips/edges and continuous rocker design in this shape.

The Liquid Force Trip might also be a good choice http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4694 it is a little more aggressive than the other two but still somewhat forgiving and very fun to ride.

Something I would not go beginner on, though, is bindings. Spend some jack for some pro model bindings. Your feet need to be comfortable. If you buy cheap bindings expect your feet to hurt, it's that simple. Hurting feet means short rides. Probably one of the most comfortable boots out their is the Ronix 1 boot, although it is not my personal favorite. I prefer the O'Brien Xenon for comfort and flexibility, lots of personal preference in a boot choice. CWB also makes some very comfy bindings and I have heard good things about the faction boot http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getboot10.asp?ProductID=4653 . If you go with a high end pro binding you most likely will be satisfied, just don't go cheap here.

Get a "hinged" USCGA life jacket, NOT A non-CGA Vest!. O'Brien has a special on at a few net sites for about 40 bucks. A hinged jacket gives you much more freedom of movement and you don't feel bunched up like you do with most standard life jackets that were not designed specifically for wakeboarding.

Try to get a "no stretch" line and a good handle. I have had cheap handles break in the middle of a ride and that isn't always pretty.

If you can get to a well known/respected pro wake shop you can get the best advice and try before you buy. I have found them to be extremely helpful and this scenario is probably the ideal situation but one is not always near these wakeboard meccas of information. In many cases you can still email them for advice on purchase recommendations etc, just don't jerk their chain, if you know what I mean.

Anyways,..Welcome to the sport, remember, having fun, the love of the ride and hanging out with some of the best people on the water is whats most important.
Be safe, be careful, and share the ride when you can.
aka The Wakeboard Geezer
Old     (skinny99)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-06-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
I got me a "Hoss" board my self! 5'10" 270ish. I bought a LF Trip 146,I had tried to get up on a 139 and then got up on a 143. The 143 was twice as easy to get up on as the 137 and my 146 is twice as easy yet. Also as you ride,the 143 felt like I was being drug through the water where as with the 146 it gets right up on top and rolls out. Big guys can wakeboard!! Todd

Upload
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-06-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
gentlemen, thank you so much!!!!! your advice is well taken. dennis,, major thanks for the time and effort i have the faction boots just have not tried them yet, also will look for a hinged vest as well.... if you ever get to lake powell let me know i got a steak and cool one for you!! just an fyi i put 56 hours on my supra during a 12 day trip that ended last week, had 11 people wakeboarding,,i gotta find a driver!!!

(Message edited by mortbike on July 06, 2009)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
I'm near powell every day all day, being as i live in Page. if you are near the arizona side and need another person just shoot me a message or look me up ;)
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-06-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
jeremy, im heading back out aug 15 for 10 days. after that i will probably go out in sept and then wrap up the season in oct..my houseboat is located at antelope point. check with me as we get closer to the 15th im sure we will have room on the houseboat....michael
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Yo Here you go!
Here is a Hoss, Hossing!
This is my man the Moose!
300 pounds of Hubbly Bubbly, huckn on a huckster!
My man may be thick as a brick but he can still do the trick,.. that is,.. a surface 360. It may not be pretty but its there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7puZ7WX1g

ya'll take care,
aka The Wakeboard Geezer
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Hey Skinny,
That LF Trip is pretty tight.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Whats up Michael, Im about the same size as you. I ride and Love a CWB 140 marius. Its only a 140, but its wide so It has more surface area, So it rides good for us big guys. Im on my 4rd season on the Marius. They changed it for 08, its sick. Made it a lil faster, which is great for us big boys. Im on the 09 right now and could not be happier.

Big guys can do all the same tricks as lil guys, Its just a lil harder for us, and its key to get you basics down. Lil guys can just hit the wake and pop. We need to load the line and use our edge to get the pop. Here is a few pics of me on the 08 marius.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-07-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Dood I have a 2009 146 hyperlite marek ridden 1 time I will ship it anywhere for 350.00 perfect board for ur size
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-08-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
Hey mortbike hit me on email and ill attach some pics..
Wkboardin2000@yahoo.com
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-08-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
A Cwb Marius 140 would be a great board for your size Michael.
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
hi and MANY MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT POSTED THE COMMENTS!!!!after looking at all the boards we have i do have a huckster 147!!!! in perfect shape , gonna mount some new boots and head out to powell aug 15... wish me luck again many thanks michael
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
YO YO YO Michael!
YEAH Baby! Da Hucksta Busta!
How cool is that!
What kind of fins you got to put on the Huckster?
I have used a variety of fins depending on the kind of riding I wanted to do with it. I have used the stock fins for wake jumps and used much smaller extra long based 1 inch P-wing fins for all those butta surface tricks when not jumping the wake.
Let us all know how it goes!