Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-18-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to do super slow motion shots using after effects? I have AE5.5, Premier Pro 5.5 and Twixtor. I've watched a few tutorials and I know how to adjust the speed of the clip but I'm still getting some distortion and blur in some areas. Is this just how it is? All of my footage is shot in 720p at 60fps with a gopro or a 7D. I'm basically a beginner to after effects so if you can give me some advice please spell it out for me like I'm retarded

This video of JB in basically what I want to do:

Here is the first one I tried:

And another(I'm not sure why this one didn't load up in HD):
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-21-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
twixtor is definately cool but from my experience playing with it you cant have a whole lot of lights and darks and background in the picture. You start to see the blur/warping up the picture.

Check out on youtube time remapping. Real easy to do in after effects and you can change the interval of the slow motion by dragging the graphs.

I have posted 3 vids of my amateur video stuff.

The last video has a lot of time remapping especially on the rail tricks

Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-21-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
middle video has the time remapping on the rails
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-21-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
Twixtor is an amazing app for what it does. However, It depends a lot on your contrast levels and equally your camera shutter speed. The best results you can get out of twixtor will rely heavily on your raw camera image. The faster the shutter the more detail you have to work with. I'm not 100% but I don't think think a GoPro has the ideal shutter speed with the type of movement and background you'd get while shooting wake unless you shoot on a clear day from a tube and are getting nothing but blue skies. try playing around with the different settings inside of twixtor. Here's an amazing project done with twixtor and a 7D. All shot with an extremely high shutter speed.( 1000 plus ) But you can still make out slight morphing in the background on some of the shots. That's the price to pay without spending the money to rent a real high speed camera. Best of luck!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-23-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
Tarek- Thanks for the reply. I'll check out time remapping on youtube. It looks like it's just adjusting the speed from regular to slow motion? I do that all the time easily with Premier Pro but I just wanted to know if their was a secret to getting those perfect super slowmo shots we've all seen. I've been doing a little more research online and it seems that it's all in your settings and situation, starting with having your camera on a tripod(obviously not really possible in my situation). Super slowmo and camera shake don't play well together. Also as Brett said it's best to have nothing in the background like a blue sky or have your background be blurry but shooting in a high shutter speed like 1000-2000. After watching other super slowmo video I'm pretty happy with my first attempts. I guess you never really notice a little distortion around the edges until you've done it yourself and now I can see it in the videos I though were awesome before.

Brett- I'm not sure which example you were talking about but this one is pretty good:

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-24-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   

i havent been posting alot lately, but iv got twixtor pretty dialed... unfortunately i dont use it in after effects, but theres some things to make it come out almost perfect every time!

use a black wakeboard rope, neon ones tend to freak out when there are trees in the background and stuff

if you can get shots with the rider against a blue sky it will work perfect almost 100% of the time

flailing arms and fingers glitch all over the place, solid grabs work best

i try and slow down a few frames really slow instead of the riders whole trick, there will be less glitches

if you time remap it will look a lot smoother instead of just an abrupt slomo

^^^i used twixtor in almost every clip, in a few you can see where his arm or leg will glitch up

Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Sorry about that guys!I totally missed the link in my post. Yes Ryan! That is the one I meant to post.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-26-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips JB. Are you shooting all those videos in 60fps also?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-27-2012, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
Thanks for the tips JB. Are you shooting all those videos in 60fps also?
no problem, and ya 60