Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Humm seems fishy. But I guess Anything is possable.
I guess it you had a super light car that had a 557 HP motor and you just drove it very lightly with your right foot you MIGHT be able to get thoes #'s

Be that as it may. Its a Sexy car. A step in the right direction.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/11...hp-and-33-mpg/
Old    SamIngram            11-18-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Look up Smokey Yunick and the Adiabatic Engine...

Those horsepower and mileage numbers are easily doable.

For all of you guys who say Smokey was a cheat and fake then why did Hudson, Pontaic, Chevy, Ford, General Dynamics, Autolite, Unical, the list goes on and on hire Smokey as a consultant? Ever here of a flow bench? A Dyno, Variable Power Steering, the list goes on and on, they are all Smokey inventions. Oh ya, if you want to see a Smokey Hot Vapor engine run they got one that works at the University of Central Florida in the basement. They dont advertise it but go see for yourself, room B119. I saw it run when I was on the student board of SAEI.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-19-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
Was just doing some reading on this on another forum I frequent... Check out Gotitrunning's post about 2/3 of the way down this page: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=78116

"For all of you guys who say Smokey was a cheat and fake then why did Hudson, Pontaic, Chevy, Ford, General Dynamics, Autolite, Unical, the list goes on and on hire Smokey as a consultant? Ever here of a flow bench? A Dyno, Variable Power Steering, the list goes on and on, they are all Smokey inventions. Oh ya, if you want to see a Smokey Hot Vapor engine run they got one that works at the University of Central Florida in the basement. They dont advertise it but go see for yourself, room B119. "

WW needs a popcorn smiley.
Old    SamIngram            11-19-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Thats me... jerk!!! Did you see this post on the same forum???

Quote:
Gotitrunning (Mechanical)
24 Feb 04 1:50
Oh ya, I am not a materials or thermo guy but Smokey told me that one of the most important things about his engine was that when you vaporized the gas it evened out the octane rating or made all the gas the same. He said that in a gallon of gas the octane rating could vary by 20 points. Just something I remembered.

Ryan
I signed my name Ryan....

then read this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=725710&page=3 I am Ryan!

Last edited by SamIngram; 11-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-19-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Fair enough.
Old    SamIngram            11-19-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Nice detective work...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-19-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Haha, thanks. I was just googling and reading thru that thread, and the wording rang a bell. So you actually knew Smokey Yunick?
Old    SamIngram            11-22-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Yes, I actually have have the great, great, great offspring from their Great Dane... I bought a bunch of his stuff at the auction too. I have one of the original Chevy "Mystery Motors", which is actually the first big block Chevy. I first met him in grade school at an auto show in Minnesota and did whatever I could to maintain a relationship with him. I got him to come and speak at one of our SAEI meetings about the HVE, it was/is the real deal. If John D. didn't get framed his engine would be in production today.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-22-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
Yes, I actually have have the great, great, great offspring from their Great Dane... I bought a bunch of his stuff at the auction too. I have one of the original Chevy "Mystery Motors", which is actually the first big block Chevy. I first met him in grade school at an auto show in Minnesota and did whatever I could to maintain a relationship with him. I got him to come and speak at one of our SAEI meetings about the HVE, it was/is the real deal. If John D. didn't get framed his engine would be in production today.
Cool stuff.

I never heard that Delorean was framed. The special I saw about it, never hinted to that; from what I recall anyway. However, I feel he was a visionary. Heck, even if he did sell cocaine to keep his business afloat I really don't have that much of an issue with it. Many people have done far worse for much less of a reason.

When I compare that fact that my old truck with 5.7 and TBI gets 16-17mpg to my 5.3 PFI motor of 11 years newer and gets 14.... it makes me sick and question the relationship with oil, auto and government.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-22-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just to confirm, preliminary EPA estimates for the CLS63 AMG are 16/21 MPG. We hope to have more concrete figures prior to the car’s on sale date in June.
Old    SamIngram            11-22-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Read Smokey's book! It's pricey, but a very interesting read about a very interesting guy. Smokey briefly explains why the motor never made its way into production, mostly politics.

The book is filled with other strange stuff, like mining and drilling wells in Ecuador, lots of sex, and Smokey's trip on the last free plane to leave Cuba when Castro took over...