Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-04-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
Well cooler temps have finally arrived in Central Texas, and the crowds have vanished from the lakes. Took the trusty Outback V to Lake Austin today, and had one of the best lake days of the entire year. My lame riding skills progressed some, I landed both FS 180's wake-to-wake on the same day for the first time, and finally got the HS BS 180 as well. YES!

The wife made some progress too, she has the most consistent HS W2W I have ever seen, and she landed some ollie 180's as well.

We were both super stoked about our riding today, and I just wanted to share it!

Still trunking it, but not sure how much longer that will last. The ladies broke out the wetsuits a month ago.

The crew:
Upload
Upload

The water:
Upload
Upload

I know this may be tough to look at for you guys up north, but we don't get powder days in Texas!
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-04-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
nice congrads man I wish winter would hit out here in soc cal it was 83 today. Winter is great because as you said our riding progress so much because it's always good water and no other boats. Congrads again on sticking those.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-04-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
I wish summer was back! My lake is never crowded and it was only 45 today! Good thing I can work from any where Texas is looking good! Weather looks great!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2009, 10:23 PM Reply   
It's officially Winter in Calgary. November 1 marks the average daily temperature at freezing, and from then on the skating just gets better.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-05-2009, 4:46 AM Reply   
We rode Tuesday in Seattle. 40F air, 50F water. A bit chilly.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
I was sooo close to moving to TX last year for that very reason. What are the actual temps right now (air/water).
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-05-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
I'm in DFW, not Austin, but our air will be 79 today, and Lewisville Lake is in the low 60's
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-05-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
mmmmm, lake austin butter, it just doesn't get any better than that.
I
didn't go out last weekend, but two weeks ago houston area water temp was around 76 deg. air temp should be close to 80 today. so like the Goode Co. BBQ tee shirt says "it's time you gave some serious thought to thanking your lucky stars you're in Texas"

(but in the summer you better have a bimini huh?)
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-05-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
You guys are lucky. Don't forget that.

Looks like a great day. Congrats on the good riding day.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-05-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
70's in denver today, but all the cold weather in Oct makes the lakes way too cold.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-05-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
agree, last Sunday on Lavon we were out, only one other boat on the line, and they left after about an hour, best water I've ever seen out there...

water was ~60, air was in the 70's, maybe a few more weeks of trunks and heater top, then drysuit time for me.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-05-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
This time of the year, Texas is hard to beat. And yes, a bimini is a must in the summer if you're out past 10am.
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-05-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments. It's funny, I've been struggling with TS jumps most of this year, even though I had them down cold last year. I got new bindings at the beginning of the summer, then we started surfing, and my wakeboarding suffered as a result. Yesterday we were debating even going out, but I was glad I did. Made the struggling all summer worth it to ride clean for 20 minutes nailing all my jumps.

Air temp yesterday and today was 78. It feels a little cooler than that on the water but not much. I'm not sure about water temp, if I had to guess I'd say low 60's? It's colder than Lake Travis, I know that for sure.

Bimini is mandatory in summer!
Old     (gerald_withanuuh)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-05-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
what kind of dog is that
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       11-06-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
i dont like the cold at all ! I used to live in boca raton when I went to school there and I loved it soo much more over the winter.
in orlando its always 10deegrees colder and its not as pleasant as shreddin at rixen 24 lol.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-06-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Took this picture earlier this week. this is the view from my deck. Fall and spring are always the best days on the water here at Lake McClure in Central CaUpload
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-06-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
Arron, also love the pictures of the Shih Tzu I have one too. He just loves the boat rides.
Old     (robd)      Join Date: May 2009       11-06-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
i hate you
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-06-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
They are both Shih-Tzu's, their names are Obi-Wan Kenobi and Peter Parker. They like being on the boat, but in the middle of summer we usually leave them at home. The heat combined with them wearing the life jackets is a little much for them. They hate actually being in the water, but love the boat LOL

Becky nice photo!
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-07-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
Aaron, I had the same concern about the heat. Vet said to freeze water in an old gallon milk jug to keep on the boat. The Shih Tzu's love to lay their bellys across something cool.
I suppose it would work for other breeds that don't do well in the heat either. My Shih Tzu does't like to be directly in the water but will lay on the swim step in a couple inches of water. He also likes to float on a knee board
At least we found use for a knee board.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-07-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
As Dunlap said so graciously:

It's colder here as well, not to mention all the lakes are down...
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-09-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Ahhhhh yeah!! We went out to BV over the weekend. Water was 64, and glass the entire time (other than 2 hours of wind).
Upload
Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-10-2009, 12:13 AM Reply   
There is ice on the lake outside right now. If it stays calm it should freeze over by morning but it will melt again this afternoon.
(Note to riosanger: Don't post the Yuma forecast, I'm not going to look at it if you do)

(Message edited by rallyart on November 10, 2009)