Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old    08 Malibu VLX Silva (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Hey Guys & Gals,
Below are 2 pictures of my big butt trying to jump on my board.

My cousin and I are pretty much the only ones who wakeboard when our family goes out on the water. I finally got the hang of wakeboard and am now trying to jump. I am not sure if I am doing this right and wanted to get some advice.

I ride behind a 08 Malibu VLX and I think the rope is 70ft, speed is 21mph and we had no ballast filled up or no power wedge.

Just looking for some guidance…

Thanks!
Old    08 Malibu VLX Silva (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
Upload
Old    08 Malibu VLX Silva (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Upload
Old    Russell Lowry (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-13-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Stand tall at the wake. It looks like you're kind of bent over with your knees bent. You will get much more smooth pop if you progressively edge into the wake and stand tall.
Old    Shawn (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
Get the rope on your lead hip. Cut through the wake and like above, stand tall. Don't suck up the pop with your knees at all. Looks like you could use a bit more weight on the front foot too.

Putting the rope on your lead hip will help with the landing. You won't get pulled over on your face as much since you'll be able to give the boat some slack if need be.
Old    Shawn (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
And if you really do have a big butt, try speeding up just a bit. Maybe 22 to 22.5. It made a huge difference for me to jump the wake. I was running 21.5 and the board felt mushy. Just an increase in .5 mph made a big difference.
Old    08 Malibu VLX Silva (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
I am about 6'0 and 250 pounds... lol
Old    Shawn (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
One more thing. You might want to try filling up the ballast too. It'll make the wake a bit more firm so you won't just blast through it. Don't worry about the wedge.
Old    Shawn (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
And another thing... :-) Try bringing the rope in to 60 or 65 feet. Makes it so much easier to learn what it feels like to land on the other side of the wake. Casing that wake hurts like a mofo! Then you can let it out as you learn the jump.