Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
First off a huge thanks to all of the sponsors of the event, Sanger Boats was our title sponsor and provided the two Sanger 237 Tow Boats. Capital Watersports provide us with three assistants and the pontoon boat we used for staging. We had prize donations from Phase 5, Wakeoutlaws.com, Smed Wakesurfing, Calibrated Wakesurfing, Shred Stixx, the Walker Project and Inland Surfer.

We had banners from several sponors:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Shoot! So I can NOT select pictures! :-)

Our contest banner!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
The folks from Capitol Watersports had a Sanger 237 on site. This is the model boat that towed the contest.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Huge thanks to a TON of people. Kit Howell who located the venue and negotiated the contract, as well as, getting us the Monster Tower wakesurf rack! She also did a ton of judging. Oh shoot I forgot Shawk Board Gear and Monster Towers as additioal sponsors!

Dennis Horton who got us the boats, did the weightin and handled both judging and duties.

Josh Howell who drove the entire contest!!!! Thank you 'bro!

Mike Armstrong of Calibrated who handled judging and donated the sweet Mantag.

Jerry Price who was sicker than a dog before the contest, but went out of his way to make sure we had a Shred Stixx Thresher.

Bri Cheml, Ryan Fair did a round of judging as well as riding incrddibly well.

Kayce Brewer of Fineline Industries/Centurion Boats did everything! She drive the Pontoon boat, judged four rounds, handed out prizes and helped out all around.

Sean Cummings did most of the announcing except when the Garcia kids were hamming it up. :-) Robert Garcia for riding bulldog over the crazy tubers!

Billy Bassett for hotdogging on the PWC and picking up the fallen riders.
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
The results, before I get to the rest of the photos.

Mini-Kahuna 12 and under

First Place Maddie Garcie
Second Place Thomas Garcia

How cute are these kids?!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
ALSO! Bre Horton for taking all the shots from in the boat, also Chris and Tomas from Capital Watersports that did some boat and pwc driving!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-04-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Chris from Capital Water Sports drove the pontoon boat after Kayce and Tomas also from Capitol drove the pickup PWC after Billy
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
The Youth Division 13 to 16

First Place R.J. Garcia
Second Place Adriana Borelli
Third Place Whitney Garcia

What is it with the Garcia kids they are ripping it up!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Amateur Men's 17 to 39 (did you note that age cutoff Mike? huh? :-) )

First Place Alec Wood
Second Place Billy Bassett
Third Place Larry Asia

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
Women's Amateur's

First Place Heather Jones
Second Place Windsor Czeschin
Third Place Toni Spasaro

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Women's Masters - Go girls! How inspiring are these ladies for all of us!

First Place Judy Walker (yeah sweetie!)
Second Place Linda "stretch" Taylor :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
Men's Masters - Daryll and Mike both landed 3's? What is the master's division coming too?!

First Place Mike Armstrong
Second Place Daryll Wood
Third Place Jeff "baldING" Walker

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
The two open divisions went first, in hopes that we would have smoother water. It didn't quite work that way, but it was a valiant effort.

Open Skim results

First Place Ryan Fair
Second Place Bri Chmel
Third Place Tommy Czeschin

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Open Surf a very close finish.

First Place James Walker
Second Place Chase Hazen
Third Place Tommy Czeschin

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
I had to post this picture. The two most tired and littlest wakesurfers, ever :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
Billy "PWC" Bassett, Billy did a ton of chasing dpwned skiers, he spent several hours on the water.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Kayce Brewer of Centurion boats and organizer of the World Wakesurfing Championships, did pontoon boat driving duty. In the background Farrah, Chase and Ryan.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Check the anouncement at the resort!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
We had a ton of prizes awarded. Ashley Garcia did me a huge favor and did the Mcee'ing of the prizes.

The folks from Wakeoutlaws.com dontaed a Triple X skimmer. Farrah Kemp took the beautiful board home.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
Tommy Czeschin not only took third in both open divisions, he also took home the pink Inland Surfer Fore Skim. Tommy is a former Olympic nowboard team member and has podium'ed in the winter X among a host of other titles.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
Chase Hazen, Shred Stixx team rider and holder of his own pro model board, awards Heather Jones a sweet new Thresher - I think Heather is proud of her new Thresher. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-04-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
Still more, but it will have to wait for the morning.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-05-2008, 12:54 AM Reply   
Where was this?
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:08 AM Reply   
Hey dtw, that was all on Sunday at Lake Tulloch Resort. We are working on the permits, as I type this, for an event down south in LA County, at Castaic Lake SRA.
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:10 AM Reply   
Kayce Brewer, organizer of the World's, took over the prize handouts. Here she is holding a gorgeous Phase 5 Prop.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
Who always wins a board and a division at every contest? None other than Shred Stix team rider Alec Wood.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:14 AM Reply   
Another of the winningest riders is young RJ Garcia, seen here with the brand new Smed Wombat he won!

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
Linda Taylor, one of our Women's Master rider rides walked away a new Walker Project Composite X 4.5.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:18 AM Reply   
Kit Howell scored us a Monster Tower surfboard rack. They are built to last as demonstrated by Kayce dragging it out for the winner. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
Billy "PWC" Bassett won the rack! Hey Billy, I have a tower that rack would look nice on! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:23 AM Reply   
This was my absolute favorite picture/bit of irony. :-) Whitney Garcia won a Calibrated Mantag! :-) Mike Armstrong of Calibrated did the awarding duties.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
Chase Hazen, Shred Stixx team rider extrodinairre walked away with the Shawk Board gear system.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
This is a cute picture. Maddie Garcia is all smiles after winning the Shawk Board Gear hanging board rack system and her little brother is hogging the picture! Thomas' head in the foreground. :-)

Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yes, it was a bit of ironic. I have to commend Mike for going out of his way to be nice to my kids. Handed them out t-shirts and stickers, and Whitney really loves the new board. And get this, she wants me to put a calibrated sticker on the boat! Sure why not, if one of my kids is riding a calibrated, then a sticker is welcome on the boat.

We have not been big fans of skim boards/style (just preference) so it is great to see calibrated work on getting a surf style board out there.

Thanks for a great weekend jeff, and all who helped, and a special nod to Mike for going the extra mile with my kids.
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Some additional random photos of the contest and gathering.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
"This was my absolute favorite picture/bit of irony. Whitney Garcia won a Calibrated Mantag! Mike Armstrong of Calibrated did the awarding duties."

It's good to see smiles coming from both sides.:-)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-05-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
All I can say is Wow! Got any pics of people surfing? Congrats on such a great turnout! Someday maybe I can help get a comp here in Colorado.
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Hey Greg - so much changes in a year. :-)

Hey Timmy, Bre Horton took all the pictures from inside the boat, as soon as she gets a chance to burn me a CD, I'll start posting those up.

Staging a grassroots contest like this under NWL is pretty easy and great fun. I always love when the little tikes get a trophy. :-) These non-pressure events allow folks plenty of time to chat and catch up with one another.

We'd love to see a contest in CO in '09.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-05-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Sweet - can't wait for the pics!

Let's do it - a contest in Colorado (Denver area) for '09, July would probably be the best month for it. Even though I am a rank amateur I'm all about this sport.
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
The process is pretty easy, but the hardest part is working with any governmental agency that is involved. So the first step is to find a venue - honestly in a large metro area, like Denver, it can take MONTHS to get a special use permit if needed. Many counties have thresholds - so if your event doesn't expect to draw more than 70 people, you won't need the permit.

Finding the venue is KEY and the very first step.

We'd love to work with you and see the Colorado Wakesurf Champinships! :-)
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-05-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
Looks like a great turnout, bummed out I couldn't make the drive over! Some great pics and congrats to all the winners. I love the "little surfers", hoping to start training mine soon.

A big thanks to Jeff for getting it all together and making it happen. And it looks like it really did happen!! Way to go!

Derek
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-05-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
I think we will try for somewhere up North (Longmont, Loveland, Windsor, Ft. Collins) where it might be a little easier. I know a guy who has put on a few Wakeboarding comps so he probably already knows the ins and outs and I would certainly like to work with my local Tige dealer (WWS in Denver) if at all possible since they are THE greatest boat dealership ever. I have your email, I will give you a week or two to breathe since you just got done with this AWESOME event!
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, do you have a shot of that poster of James? What is going on with that it is hard to tell...
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
Hey Robbie, isn't that cool? Bre did that for James and laminated it. It's 1,200 individual photos she's taken over the years of James, Judy and I, Dennis, herself, etc - the poster is 30 x 40 and each picture is 1 x 1 = 1,200 shots, then somehow ghosted the two large photos.

It's pretty cool. I have the original photo all 81 MEGS of it :-) I'll try and find some detail to post.

Speaking of photos, I wanted to again thank the good folks at Upload for providing the boats and personnel. Upload sent their Mechanic Tomas to insure that we didn't have any mechanical issue during the contest. Upload also sent down Chris to help us with any and all administrative duties. Upload rocks, overall.

Hey not bad huh?! :-)

The folks from Upload from left: Tomas, Chris, Christine and Warren.

Upload
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
That is what i thought it was! i would love to see a close up of it, it looks very impressive/a ton of work!
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
I don't have the original file here, I believe it's on a CD down at my office. I'll try and remember to grab a section of it for you - shoot, probably not until Thursday (out on the boat tomorrow), okee dokee?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-05-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
I sent the file to Robbie. Jeff nice work on the Capitol Water Sports insertions
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Great pics, hopefully I can make it next year, looks like a ton of fun!!
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-06-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
That poster had to take a ton of effort and time!

Great job!

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on August 06, 2008)
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff is there any pictures of people riding?
Old    surfdad            08-07-2008, 4:50 AM Reply   
Hey Alec,

Bre took all those pictures from the boat and as soon as she gets them to me, I'll start posting them up.
Old    surfdad            08-07-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
I swpied this from the Tigeowers thread by Robert Garcia. Worth a "looksee" here

Our youngest competitor, Thomas Garcia, showing his skills :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Thanks to Bre Horton for taking all the pictures and to Dennis for resizing the entire batch for me.

Open skim division pictures first

Sean Cummings

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Nikkie Butler

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Ryan Fair

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Tommy Czechin

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Bri Chmel

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Kirk Lonsdale

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Shoot! Before Kirk it should reflect the change from Open Skim to Open Surf.

Farrah Kemp

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Ryan Fair - surf division

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
Shoot I messed up the sequence. One last one of Ryan.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
Tommy Czeschin

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
Chase Hazen

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
James Walker

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-10-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
That's all for tonight - more tomorrow.
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Mini Kanuna division. :-)

Thomas "T-bone" Garcia

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
Maddie Garcia

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 5:53 AM Reply   
Youth division

R.J. Garcia

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
Whitney Garcia

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Adriana Borelli

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-11-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
What about the "Old Guys" division ??
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
LOL - I'm an old guy which is the problem with getting these photos posted timely :-) Sorry Greg, I think I still have Am - Men and Women and the Master's Men and Women to go.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       08-12-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
Looks like a great time! Dennis, how did you weight the boat?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Karen,
I weighted the boats exactly the same and the same as I did for the test we did earlier in the year and written up here.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/574677.html?1211075025
Stock ballast on the surfside and front. Add 500 lbs lead and fill back locker to the top of the stock ballast or so about 350 lbs Total weight I think about 1700 lbs