Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-25-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
tried my first couple attempts at a tantrum last week, im told i was close to landing and even taking them out into the flats.....yet both attempts i landed on the toeside edge of my board which smashed the board upwards and hurt my ankles, turns out i actually partially tore my achilles tendon and now my season is looking grim, is this common? has it happened to anyone else? is "almost" landing a tantrum generally considered a risky fall? any input would be appreciated cause i know i would have landed it within a couple more tries.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-25-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
i have never heard of this happening before
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
Landing on your toes isn't uncommon. This usually happens when you under rotate.

It sounds like an uncommon injury though. I wouldn't say a tantrum is a risky fall. Wait until it heals fully and I'm sure you could land it with a few more tries. Make sure you warm up and stretch a little before you ride. Warming up is key to preventing injury.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Sounds like you under-rotated a little. Sounds like you need to hold the rotation a little longer before you open up to spot your landing. I learned that the bigger you take them, the easier they are. That way you have plenty of time to adjust for the landing.

Good luck on your recovery.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-25-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
I don't call them tantrum ankles for nothin'. It is a very common injury, but usually not the archilles as much as the frontal part of the ankle joint. Lots of people I know, including myself, have lightly sprained their ankles or made them sore. What they said above about under rotating is the cause. Try to take it up more than out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-25-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Tantrum = ankle breaker

If you're leaving early, it's difficult to get the full rotation. Wait a little longer. When you think it's time to initiate the tantrum, wait a second longer. When you do it right, the wake trips the board and the trick itself is effortless.
Old    tutman            05-25-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
Had a couple like that last week. Fortunately for me it wasn't nearly as bad as your case, just really sore ankles for a couple of days. Learned my lesson anyways. Good luck healing, do what Joe says and you won't have any problems.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-26-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
wow i never realized a basic invert could be so risky, when i was learning backrolls i took every hard fall you could imagine before i got it, and never was even sore......i have a feeling as easy is this trick would have came to me, it will be a long time coming before i try again since two tries translated into a month off the water
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-26-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
Ditto for me Mike. Crashed alot learning the back roll & switch back roll with no injuries. Two attempts at the tantrum & sprained my ankle, a couple of weeks later sprained my ankle on the first attempt. It has been acouple of years now & really feel like I need to learn the tantrum this summer.
Old    pureride540            05-27-2004, 5:25 AM Reply   
Things could be worse. I completely tore my acl and mcl pullin a tantrum. It was my fault for being the 4th run of the day and thinking i could do it but still...a year later and im just about ready to get on a board again.
Old    larkin            05-27-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
Umali hit the nail on the head on this one. Most of the ankle breakers in my experience was because I tried to throw the tantrum too early, think about trying to do a backflip from the ground and landing on a spot 2 feet higher than where you left off.

I have it worse, I tore my trap doing a tantrum.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-27-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Agree with joe and adam. However, instead of waiting longer, I just cut harder. This way I don't have time to go early and a nice bonus is a bigger tantrum.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       05-27-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Last year I jacked myself pretty bad trying tantrums, I was getting real close but couldn't ride them out. On my final attempt of the season, on one fall, I mangaged to somehow get a bloody nose, a big black eye that lasted for two weeks and I sprained my shoulder. That fall pretty much ended my season, it took a good two months for my shoulder to heal.. Haven't tried them yet this year.