Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (john15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-04-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
I was wondering if i'm doin the backrool right, i been landing them but the landings are scetchy. any suggestions would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXsnLX1sSc
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-04-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Your link doesn't work?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-08-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Here is something i wrote up for a friend a year ago... it doesnt have much to do about the landing. Landings just come naturally for me i would have to say... though they did get more consistant with time and repetition.

-----------------------------------------------
Heel Side Back Roll:

The Heel Side Back Roll is one of my most favorite tricks. At my level and wakeboarding experience it is the most technical aerial maneuver that I can perform consistently. Besides this being the most impressive move I can throw I love it also for its natural fluid and near effortless flow. The Heel Side Back Roll is suggested by pros and trick manuals to be the first of all flips tried. If you are like me you may have seen this trick on T.V. or in videos or on your local lake and were baffled by the path of rotation. Like me you may deceive yourself to think that a front flip would be easier. Tragically I lost precious time of development attempting a flip that was beyond my understanding and sacrificed myself to much disappointment.
After having been convinced by a friend I gave up my denial and made a daring attempt at the Heel Side Front Roll. As I expected, the rotation felt rather bizarre… yet natural and comfortable despite I under rotated the flip. The crash was soft and I was impressed with the strongest determination and confirmation that I would land this flip TODAY! After 4 more attempts, on my fifth try I nailed the landing smoothly as if I had never left the water… almost as though I was riding a tube or loop of water.
*FIRST: Deny yourself of all hesitation due to a worry about crashing. (A face plant during any surface maneuver will more than likely sting more than any position you may crash in during a heel side back roll.)
*SECOND: This is not a trick that you need a lot of energy, speed, height, and/or distance for. All you will need is enough speed and pop to clear both wakes- about a 10 ft cut.
*THIRD: This is NOT a flip that you need to “bend” “huck” or “throw” like you might a front or back flip on a trampoline. All you need is an ear to the shoulder really (back ear to back shoulder)
*FOURTH: Keep the handle at your waste area. (IMPORTANT IN MOST ALL ASPECTS OF WAKEBOARDING)
*FIFTH: Edge All the way up the wake. Do not begin the rotation prematurely, before leaving the tip of the wake.
*SIXTH: Keep your knees bent (no more than if you were in a chair, unless you plan to add a grab)
*SEVENTH: Maintain the same body position and edge and hold on for the ride

I like to think of it like you were edging and riding up the wake as if it were a tube or a loop of water. Just maintain body position and hold on for the ride.
---------------------------------------------

If your landings are sketchy because they are hard and into the flats, i would try to dial it down wake to wake by taking a shorter cut or lengthening the rope.

Maybe someone from a different point of view and or better experience can help. BUT MOST OF ALL I LIKE COMPARING AND SUMMING THE WHOLE TRICK LIKE AS IF I WERE RIDING IN A TUBE. if you do it wake to wake it will feel like you never left the water--- REALLY like riding a tube. I love the feeling
Old     (adamcarta)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
I can get the first 300-320 degrees of rotation every attempt but cannot get the board back around to the water. Any thoughts on how to complete the spin? I have tried this trick 40+ times with no success and am getting frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
wrong section of the forum, but I can still add to what has been said. didn't get a video from the link, but would like to add to what Jeremy is saying.

Main thing is the take off. Make sure that you have that progressive edge and stand tall at the top of the wake. Another thing to keep in mind, you should take off with equal pressure on both feet. My thought is, if you take off with equal pressure, you should land the same way (just naturally happens). Concentrate on the take off and don't worry too much about the rotation.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-08-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
Make sure your feet are far enough apart. One of our crew was killing the rotation, but slipping out on the landing. We could not figure it out until I noticed his stance was only about 15 inches apart.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-08-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
Adam
Sound like you may be letting the handle get away from you during the rotation. You can actually speed up the rotation by pulling the handle in as you rotate or slow it down by letting the handle out. Try a few and concentrate on keeping the handle in the same position from take off to landing. Good luck
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-08-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Yeah, rip that handle hard to your front hip.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
I threw this trick about 200 times before I landed it. I was about to give up and go get a lession when some guys on my lake invited me to try it with them. I landed it three times in a row. What made the difference? They had a 2001 model Nautique loaded with weight and I had a 1992 Ski Nautique with no weight. The bigger the wake the easier.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
I'm confused... that description said to look over your back shoulder, but I have read before too look over your lead shoulder..?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-08-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
On your cut into the wake, keep your elbows attached to your body.
It will feel very weird. Try it. At least once. Bet you get all the way aroound.

Its lead shoulder UpNorth.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
Jeremy wrote..."FOURTH: Keep the handle at your waste area."

Sounds awkward keeping the handle near my arse.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-08-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
Try it blindfolded. be sure to make a video!!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
upnorth you do look over your front lead shoulder ...