Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Can someone help me understand how this works? I have searched the internet and kinda sorta have an idea, but want to make sure.

currently I have speaker can with Polk 6.5" co ax in it. Without adding more speaker can to get louder, I thought about using the Eminence 6" with a throat compression driver. From what I see, the driver screws into the back of the 6", right? How does the sound work in this set up.

I am guessing this would be louder than my coax speakers, correct? This is a homemade can and I would like to upgrade it if possible, but also like the challenge of trying something new with this.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
I threw around the idea of using the Eminence Alpha's in cans...they will definatley be louder than the polk's with the same power. I've heard they work fairly decent. what are the specs on the speaker? I'm sure it's very similar to the horn driver w/o the horn.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-03-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
I have some in cans on my tower, both Alpha's without the compression driver and the Beta's with the driver. In retrospec I might have just gone with the Alpha's and forget about the compression driver and avoid the headache of figuring out the crossover. As Adam can attest building crossovers for compression drivers is not for the faint of heart.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
I am not sure of the specs yet, I have looked at a few different speakers. I saw the NVS addiction and it spurred the idea of converting my current set up.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
So the alpha without a driver will still reproduce high end? Would it still out do coax speakers? that sounds to be a fairly straight forward.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-03-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have 4 alpha 6's and 2 compression drivers on my tower. i don't have it quite dialed in yet but so far I'm liking it pretty good. Not as much lows up there as you'd want with the horns but it's working pretty good so far.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Anybody have pics of their set up?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
I will second mike....trying to tune in crossovers on CD's can be a headache. I believe the sen. on the alphas is aroudn 97db.....the polks is probably in the low 90's....they should in theroy blow the polks away...but remember they are paper cones....you need to treat them.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-03-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
The Addictions are 10s, they make full range sound. I am using 8s they don't make much bass, I don't think you would be happy with 6s, they have pretty shallow excursion limits.

Everything considered a good old set of four fairly bright 6x9s in homemade cans/box is a pretty tough diy setup to beat, even the Evids if you cannot afford NVS.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-05-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
Keith,

I have 2 alpha 6's with 2 eminence asd1001 compression horns. I used an eminence pxb3k5 2 way crossover. I put the crossover in the cans with the alpha 6's. The alphas rms at 100 watts, the compression horns rms at 50 watts. I am running the whole sysem in parallel. So I show my amp a 4 ohm load. I am pushing about 330 watts rms at 4 ohms. It sounds a ton better for the rider and it is not as loud in the boat as my 2 boston pros I had on the tower last year. It really projects the sound far. Here is a pic of my tower speakers.

Feel free to ask any more questions. It's not that hard to tune the system correctly. Just make sure you have your High Pass crossover on your amp set to about right hz for what you go with, and also get the best crossover for your system. I got all my stuff from www.partsexpress.com