Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (mschude)      Join Date: May 2006       12-14-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
Help... Im looking a buying a 2007 tahoe and would like to know if anyone has pulled a boat with this? Im more interested if the 2wd models can tow a boat well even through the mountains. I live in Arizona and there are some mountains on the way to the lake.

Thanks!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-14-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Should not be a problem just make sure it has the locking rear (G80 option). Best combination of power, ride, and economy.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
mike, i have a 4wd 07 and the pull is great when i run it in 2wd. i hit some decent hills when we go to table rock.

however i can say i have not been happy with the mpg in comparision to my 04 sequoia that i used to have.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
I thought I saw some advertising about the 2007 tahoes that run on 6 cylinders once up to hwy speed to conserve fuel. Is this all models of 07 Tahoes? Does the mileage still suck? I suppose towing a vehicle it may not switch from the 8cyl to 6 cyl?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
2WD weighs a little less so it's easier. It should only be tougher if you're on a gravel boat launch or a very steep one where low range would take some strain off the driveline.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-15-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
I have a 2wd tahoe LT and pulled it up to Don Pedro from So. Ca. and it was fine. Some decent hills like the grapevine and the launch was long and sorta steep and pulling my vlx out it never slipped even when I had to stop after getting it in and out to line it on the trailer three times. By the way if your interested I averaged 14 mpg pulling the boat so I was happy with it. I have a Tundra that gets less mpg's when pulling it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-15-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Should not be a problem just make sure it has the locking rear (G80 option). Best combination of power, ride, and economy.

Exactly
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
get the 4 WD for insurance
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-15-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
2wd drives typically have a higher tow rating and always get better fuel milage. Resale value will be less, but so is initial cost. With a locker it has just as many wheels being driven as most 4wd's.

We had a 2wd Tahoe and it towed, but I much prefer a Suburban for the extra wheelbase.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yes a 2wd will work, but some lauch ramps will be slick and the 4x4 is nice to have. Also no chains if you snowboard. I sell GMC's in the Sacrament area. Give me a call I will quote you on both the 2 and 4x4. The towing capasity is only 750# difference, and 1 mpg on a vehicle that big is not a great deal.

Phillip
916-779-3204
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I would think that living in desert country means 4WD. Dirt, mud, etc. Spend the extra...
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
the only problem with a 2wd is getting the boat out on a steep ramp, i have as much fun riding as i do watching people spend 30 minutes on the ramp burning rubber to pull out a boat. I agree with john if you get a locker it should be fine anything else your pushing it. A two wheel drive will pull a boat fine to the ramp you just run the risk of getting pulled in the lake, honestly pay the $1800 extra for 4x4 and save on the $40,000 drowned SUV
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Another vote for the G80 in either the 2 or 4wd, that thing is the best rear end available. Also the 5.3 will run on 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway, it will not switch to 4 if you have it in tow haul mode. It will also probably never switch into 4 cyl mode even with tow/haul off if you are pulling a boat except for maybe going downhill.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-16-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Any dealer that has one without G80 made a mistake or doesn't know how to order one. I have 4WD but if I use it more than 4 times a year I am lucky. The active fuel management only works above 25mph and at very light/no throttle.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-17-2006, 12:03 AM Reply   
"A two wheel drive will pull a boat fine to the ramp you just run the risk of getting pulled in the lake"

Oh how I would love to hear the explaination of how a 4 wheel drive is going to help??
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-17-2006, 5:41 AM Reply   
I wanted a 4x4 for the same reason Peter Chandler stated. I have no regrets getting the 4x4 because it's there if I need it. So far I have not had to use it at the ramps.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-17-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
I have a 2wd with a locking differential if it slip's. I have never had a problem even in gravel or steep ramp's. Also mine has the tow/haul package which I never use in florida but if you have that as well you will be fine through the mountains.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-17-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
"A two wheel drive will pull a boat fine to the ramp you just run the risk of getting pulled in the lake"

Oh how I would love to hear the explaination of how a 4 wheel drive is going to help??

Simple the ramp may be dry where the front whels are and will pull it out no problems
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-17-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Aaron, I am all for 2wd's. I see nothing wrong with them. As I said we had a 2wd, but at the same time I owned and still do a K2500 Suburban that will pull better due to wheelbase and the fact that it is a 3/4 ton.

Ryan, the 4wd has nothing to do with the truck going into the drink when backing down a ramp. That is all about brakes and the only thing that is really going to help is good tires.

Most 4wd's are open in the rear diffs anyhow, so a 2wd with a locker is about the same. Even if a 4wd does have a locker, they will not engage unless you put your foot on the brakes. I have seen trucks with lockers crossed up going nowhere. Once the brakes are applied then they start on their way again...sometimes

Duffy, do your use tow/haul button, even on flat ground. It will help save your transmission. The EPC pressures are bumped and it changes the shift points along with firming the shifts. Slippage is what damages trannys.

Edit: BTW I have never used 4wd launching or retrieving a boat. Not even on a slippery ocean or bay ramp. I consider it a game.

(Message edited by Peter_C on December 17, 2006)
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-17-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Peter, I have to disagree with you on the ramp issue with 2wd. I was on a ramp this year and had to lock my truck in 4wd to keep it from sliding down the ramp. This was after I stopped to unhook the bow eye. Even with the parking brake set, rear wheels touching the water the truck was sliding into the lake. Locked it in 4wd and the parking brake actually locks the front drive shaft/wheels through the drive train and prevented it from sliding into the lake. We also have a couple of ramps locally that are gravel and without 4wd drive on those I would have been stuck, and my truck does have limited slip in the rear. Just my personal experience.

Greg
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
NEVER BUY A 2wd if 4wd is an option. I have seen plenty of steep boat ramps in my day and plenty of 2wd vehicles needing help. My buddy had an 03' tahoe 2wd and has had to use his boat several times to help push the truck out of the water after it has slid backwards.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-18-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
Greg, you got me there

90% of the time launching is a team effort and the driver does not need to get out of the truck.

When I used to live in AZ, all the ramps I saw were pretty tame.

For the first three years I owned a boat, I towed with a 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 (One of the heaviest duty cars ever built) that was a one legger. Never once had a problem, even at Shasta Lake on the dirt ramps.

Using the boat to start forward momentum is a normal routine to keep the boat centered, and up against the front stops on the trailer. When I kept my boat at the Delta I never even used the winch. *shrug*