Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-21-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
Does anyone use a 3CCD camcorder? I am starting to research higher-end consumer cameras like Sony TRV-950, VX-2000, Canon GL-2, etc. What are the benefits when compared to cameras like Sony TRV70 and similar?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-21-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
A 3CCD camera will always provide a higher quality image with greater detail and a single chip camera. In addition, the high end camera usually have a much better lens and options for professional quality mics and other features not found on low end cameras. I'm thinking about picking up a Canon GL-2 and one reason I'm looking at that model specifically is the 20x optical zoom and a very high quality lens (I currently own a Sony and it's been a very good camera so I'm not biased).
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-21-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
i have a canon XL1. its good. it has durability issues though. i took to film hunt in alaska and hd to resend it back to canon to get is overhauled.no major problems luckily.
Old    du540            08-21-2003, 2:36 PM Reply   
We use the Sony VX2000 and two smaller Sony TRV-900s.

I did alot of research, the VX2K and the Cannon GL-2 are pretty even. Each has some small advantages over the other. We're planning to pick up a GL-2 for next summer so we'll have one of each, plus our smaller cams.

You should go to cnet.com, that's where I did most of my research on "pro-sumer" cameras.
Old    renegade            08-21-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
want an kickass one for a dope price..go on ebay and look at the sony vx1000, its what all the prosnowboard/skateboard filmers use aside from their 16mm setups. If you can get one consider yourself lucky.
Old    upupnaway            08-22-2003, 6:29 AM Reply   
Computer video maker mag has great comparison tests on all dv and digital cameras, and they seem very non-biased based on the variety of winners. They list out all of the important features on an easy comparison chart.
They also usually have the scoop on new products on the way, and pending price drops.
It is a great way to find the features you need without the ones you do not need in one camera.

by the way, I spent the extra couple hundred bucks on the biggest view screen they had, only to find out I cannot stand using it to film. live and learn i guess. My next camera will have the smallest screen available, seeing as how it is a vestigle option for me.
Old    demi_barbito            08-22-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
I have the GL-1. I've used it for a few years to film instructional videos. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

It has all the user friendly features as well as the broadcast quality picture.

I may pick up a GL-2 in the future for two camera shoots.

This was all filmed on a GL-1

http://www.demibarbito.com/demo.html

Demi
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments . . .
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2003, 7:08 PM Reply   
The time i can most tell the difference is in lower light situations.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-25-2003, 9:35 PM Reply   
When your looking for cameras that are thousands of dollars the biggest factor is going to be personal preference. I regularly use a Canon XL-1 and a Canon GL-2, and I have also used a Sony VX2000 and Canon GL-1. I like the XL-1 because its just a damn nice camera (significanly more expensive though), I like the VX-2000 because it is a bit longer so its easier to hold still and because it has manual audio recording controls. I like the GL-1 because it uses the same batteries etc that the XL-1 has so since I own both I can use the same batteries for each camera. The GL-2 is the same as the GL-1 but has several upgrades such as manual audio controls (like the VX2000 has).

just to add to Jeremy Ambrister's comment- the GL-1 and GL-2 suck in low light situations...the VX2000 will outperform them when recording in low light.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2003, 9:13 PM Reply   
The Canon's also have a problem with audio
going out of sinc when you film for more than 5 min.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-26-2003, 9:27 PM Reply   
brinks- ive never noticed that, and never heard of it either. can you elaborate on this problem a bit more? is it just your camera or is it a documented problem with ALL canon cameras?
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2003, 2:01 AM Reply   
When you go to dump all your footage into Avid or final cut pro and you drop your video with audio into the timeline after about 5 min.
the audio and video sinc start to mismatch.
I do not have a canon but I have several friends that have said that and have heard that from several of my film school teachers. I actually have no experience with the canons. I figured I would avoid that if it was true when I bought my Sony vx2000. They might have fixed the problem in the last 7 months. when I edit stuff for people I will not take anything shot on a canon unless I am not going to be using the audio tracks from the raw video footage.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-28-2003, 3:42 AM Reply   
PEBKAC
Old    demi_barbito            08-28-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
Any sync problems will come from your settings on the camera and/or computer.

The Canon GL-1 is a great camera and Final Cut Pro rocks.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-28-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
Sony TRV-900 (predecessor to the trv-950) over 5 years use (snowboarding mainly)! Still kicking a$$ and taking names.

Also have a Sony PC-101 (plam size, 1CCD). Nice when you don't want to lug around all that extra gear....

Brinks - The same thing can occur with Premiere (remember reading it somewhere, but it's never happened to me...)

Found this on the web:
Canons have off-speed audio clocks that cause sync drifts on long captures. Final Cut Pro has an auto-sync-compensator mode to account
for this, as do Canopus NLEs and the latest Matrox drivers.

With the advent of HD tv it will be interesting to see what Sony and Cannon come up with in response to JVC's new HD miniDV http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_GR_HD1/4505-6500_7-20817405.html