Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
Anyone ride out there?
We'll be there the first weekend in august. I usually see a few wake boats when we're there. Hopefully the tubers and jetskis stay home!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-25-2011, 9:11 PM Reply   
I grew up in Harrisburg, and have spent hundreds of hours on Lake Raystown. It's a beautiful lake - you're going to love it. My brother is there every weekend, and he says it's been really, really, really busy this year. The key to riding on Raystown on the weekend is to get on the water early. From sunrise to about 10 or 10:30 it's absolute heaven. Thereafter, it's an absolute mess. Work your way up the lake as the morning progresses, because the water upstream stays smoother longer. We usually launch the boat at the Shy Beaver ramp and work between Shy Beaver and the Weaver Falls ramp, which is as far upstream as you can go. When the lake gets busy, the last smooth water is usually just below the Weaver Falls ramp. When you're ready to relax, idle up Coffee Run, which is a no wake zone where people raft up and party. Good luck!
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-26-2011, 5:49 AM Reply   
Take your mountain bike with you. Some of the best trails in PA.

I don't think I will ever go back for wakeboarding. Just like Deep Creek or any other big lake in the area you can only ride early in the morning. By 10am the place is swamped.

Also, be careful when you go up river. It gets shallow fast.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips guys. We've been going there since the early 90's, but it is getting much more crowded lately. Early mornings are key for sure, but at least we can surf or ride the skyski when it gets choppy.

Phillywakeboarder, we have to get together and ride the river (or creek) sometime!