Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-15-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
I need some oppinions on how I should do a homemade ballast system. I have all the stuff to do one except the pump. This will be going on a 1983 2001 nautique. I want to have a bag in the bow and a bag under the rear seat (I know the bag in the front will be in the drivers way). I was thinking of using aerator pumps, a very large one to fill both and then a small one on each bag to empty. My only question is will the aerator pumps get a good prime? Another idea was maybe getting a self priming pump to fill and then 2 aerator's to empty.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-16-2006, 5:37 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/307524.html?1142447803
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
If you use a self prime (assume reversible) to fill, you can simply reverse it to empty...

Aerators are NOT self priming so you need to plan on it by having them below the waterline...
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Kinda old school, but Rule 1100 aerators move a ton of water one way for like $35, draw a small amount of current, won't burn up if run dry, and you can buy them with replaceable motor cartridges. They don't block reverse flow, so you may have to take measures there, and yes, they do need to be mounted below the waterline (fill) and sac drain (empty). My Rule fills a 750-pound sac in like five minutes. Four Rules on your setup would be a really quick fill and empty and could be had for $150 with a spare motor. The Rule website will show you how to orient them to reduce the chance of airlock.

The good news is that this topic gets killed every five minutes or so on wakeworld, so you've got lots of info and opinions at your fingertips.

Make sure to take some pics for us, though - everybody loves to look at ballast (and stereo) installs!!!
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-17-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
I sent you an email if you are interested in a Brand new reversible Ballast Puppy, the bigger pump (not the water puppy). I got a little overzealous and bought too many pumps. I can also help you out with via a diagram/pics of a quick and easy way to install what you want to do. And what Wes said... no need for 2 aerators to empty with a self priming (reversible) pump. You can reverse this Ballast Puppy and pump back out the same thruhull.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-17-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
i put in a 4 pump aerator system - rule 1100s. its beautiful. 2 fills/2drains. i like the idea of 1 large fill and 2 drains. fills in about 5 minutes. I put in a separate scoop for the ballast system instead of T-ing off the engine water intake. I drive halfway to the cove, flip 2 valves, then drive to the cove. Its full when we get there.

(Message edited by denverd1 on August 17, 2006)