Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmander77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Anyone else have the Alpine MC20 remote and have you ever had water get inside of it?

I have mine installed on the near the swim platform on my '07 Sanger V230. So at times it can be completely under water. It is still within the 1-year factory warranty. The Alpine Web site states it is "fully waterproof" and to "mount it anywhere." Conveniently, Alpine does not easily honor their "fully waterproof" claim and I have had to file a complaint and am currently awaiting contact from someone.

I previously had a Sony RM-X60M/R installed in the same location and never had a problem in 4 years. Hoping this is just a rare defective unit. But still very disappointed Alpine did not immediately stand behind their product.

Last edited by jmander77; 07-10-2012 at 8:55 AM.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-10-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
'Waterproof' on a remote control to me means water running over the surface with an absence of pressure. Waterproof and submerged or pressure washed are very, very different matters.
Consider this....there are numerous buttons, each having membranes to seal the internal contacts from water. Once you apply any degree of pressure you will force water through those membranes.
If you do not find language stating "submergable" to a certain depth and under a certain lb. per sq. in. force then assume it will absolutely fail under the described conditions.
A Sony remote or any other brand of remote control from our experiences would be no different.
If I had sold this remote control and someone had ask me beforehand and straight up, "Will this work submerged?", I would answer, "Absolutely not. It's not built like an underwater light."

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jmander77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
You make a good point.

This doesn't mean it's right ... but I do commonly see transom remotes installed in similar locations ... which is why I agreed to let them install it there. It's also the only surface my transom has to accommodate it.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
I have the MC10 (exact same remote, looks identical, just doesn't support the dual zone audio which my head unit doesn't support anyway). Mine has been installed for a year; no issues at all but it only gets a little wet here and there. But I installed it much higher than that, as I didn't want water slamming into it at all times, and didn't want to cut a big hole in an area that could be under the water line.

Good news is they are sold on Ebay new all the time for $20 or less, so replacing it isn't a big deal - not to say you won't have the same issue happen again.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
To me, something that claims to be water resistant can take a splash here and there while something that claims to be waterproof, especially "fully waterproof" I would expect to be just that. The only things I have seen that give a depth or pressure are watches and gear that one would use for diving.

My 2 cents.
Old     (jmander77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-12-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
My thoughts exactly.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-12-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
I agree. "Fully waterproof" and "water resistant are two different things. Since this says "fully waterproof" and "mount anywhere" they should stand by their statement even if you mounted it underneath the boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
^^^^This
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-12-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
I don't see why an authorized Alpine dealer wouldn't have enough clout to get that pushed through warranty.

Now, knowing what you know today, would you put it back in the identical location and expect a different result?

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
Was the unit bought from an Alpine Authorized Dealer?

What is bought new?
Old     (jmander77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-13-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
It was purchased from Car Toys. Their claim is water damage is not covered by the factory warranty. My argument to them was it's supposed to be friggin' water proof! They then stated if I had of purchased an extended warranty they would replace it on the spot. Otherwise, they have to send it in for repair ... and that it would take a few weeks ... totally not acceptable.

In the meantime I'm still waiting to hear from the "supervisor" at Alpine.

I read over the specs a couple more time and the following caught my eye: IPx6 High Pressure WJ. This detail includes two standard measurements for water protection ratings. The IPx6 means it is protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters. The WJ means it withstands high-pressure abrasive water jetting from 10,000 psi to 30,000 psi.

If it were rated at IPx7 it would be suitable for water immersion for 30 min at a depth of 1 meter. IPx8 is suitable for continual submersion.

In my opinion it is NOT suitable to claim this product is "fully waterproof". And these retailers should be better educated before selling/installing. Meanwhile, I can expect to always have a broken remote on the back of my boat ... or get the hole filled ... BS!

Last edited by jmander77; 07-13-2012 at 8:07 AM.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-13-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
I agree that the IPx6 rating is absolutely not suitable. Salt spray is also like sand blasting so by placing a remote on the bow deck of a cruiser and taking an off shore trip in choppy waters would certainly result in the erasure of all readable nomenclature that is screened on the remote. Also, since it is not IPx7 rated you can bet that underwater will not fly but I think that is a matter of common sense anyway. A silicone sealer may be 'waterproof' but silicone is clearly for above the water line and poly caulks are necessary for under the water line. And they state this on the tube. Alpine and every other remote control manufacturer should be more clear with disclaimers if consumers are going to interpret 'waterproof' as 'underwaterproof'.
If the specific under the water line question was asked in advance of the purchase I am confident that 99 out of 100 times the dealer would say, "No Way!"
In any case, you have to fix the hole and raise the remote. It simply will not work. Don't repeat.

David
Earmark Marine