Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    tweetdriver            07-14-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Has anyone boated/wakeboarded at Lake Tuscaloosa. If so, any day-use areas?
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
Judging by your name, you must be at Columbus AFB in MS. If you are looking for some good skiing, you need to look no further than the back gate of the base. There is a state park back there with a really nice boat ramp. As a matter of fact you fly over the river when you are breaking off of the straight in for the south landing runway. If you make a right when you head out of the marina and take a left into the first channel after merging onto the main channel you will be on the best water for 100 miles around. No matter the direction of the wind, there is always good water. I am still looking for water that is that good. As for Lake Tuscaloosa, we use to go out there on the weekends for the clear water. It is never as smooth as the river, but the water is much cleaner. I would say that it is not worth the drive though.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-15-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
If you don't mind the long tow, Cedar Creek Resevoir in Franklin County, AL (east of Belmont, MS) is incredible. The water is VERY clean and there is very little traffic, even on holiday weekends. You do have to pay $2 for a daily use permit from the Bear Creek Development Authority.

DKJ
Old    tweetdriver            07-15-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
DKJ, any info on how to get there? Best launch sites? Thanx
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-15-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Take whatever route you want to Red Bay, AL. Take AL-24 E to AL hwy 247 and go north on 247. Turn right onto Franklin county rd 90 and the ramp is les than 1/2 mi on the left. Contact the Bear Creek Development Authority to find out where to purchase a use permit: 877-367-2232. You can usually get them at gas stations close to the lake. Website: www.bearcreeklakes.com
They manage 4 lakes; the one you want is Cedar lake.

That lake is possibly the best kept secret in north Alabama.

Upload

The large inlet on the north side of the lake is excellent for boaring. The only time its gets rough is when we have a strong south wind.

DKJ
Old    bikesman14            07-17-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Do you still want to know about lake tuscaloosa? I go at there all the time...let me know...
Old    tweetdriver            07-18-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
YES! We're thinking of going this weekend but will have kids - need a stopping/bathroom spot! Let me know! Thanks