Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    slideit            02-10-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
what's the best for a wakeboard boat
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-10-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
full coverage!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-10-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
agreed. Get them to insurance it for as much as you can. Boat insurance is cheap
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-10-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
I just paid mine up for a year, boat is covered up to 43000 I got towing the full meal deal for 590 for the year
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-10-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
I just switched to Skisafe and saved about 100.00 bucks. Mine is covered up to 35,000.00.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-10-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
Daniel if you don't mind me asking why are you covering so much on your Calabria?
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
We have Skisafe too. So far so good... (we haven't had to use it)
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-10-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
I'm assuming rates vary by location, but I have $44.5K coverage for just about $400 per year. I go thru Boat US.
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
I currently have Boat US. Had one claim taken care of exceptionally well. Be sure to read the fine print of the coverage though. Full coverage.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Rates do vary by location. I'm near the coast and they wanted to charge me a little over a grand, after talking to a few reps I got it to $300 on a 96 PS 190. Once they saw a pic of the boat they understood whay it was a ocean goin vessel I had ski safe on my old boat...they made me have a lay-up period of like 3-4 months. Get the yachters coverage form boat us, well with the few extra bucks and the deductible is only $150
Old    trickskisrock            02-10-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
A lot of my friends and myself all use SkiSafe. Great rates and really good coverage. One of the best things about them is their additional coverage regarding stereo equipment and wakeboard/ski equipment. These are each broken out seperately with different deductibles and coverage limits than the boat and trailer. This means you don't have to pay a $500 deductible if your stereo or wakeboard gets stolen out of the boat. Skisafe also understands watersports real well and the different conditions that ski/wakeboard boats are used under compared to ocean vessels and fishing boats. I had a couple of insurance companies actually ask for all drivers of the boat stating any other drivers would not be covered in an accident. That's just ridiculous. If you travel to private lakes where you need to add the lake owners temporarily as additional insured, they are able to do this very easily. The only issue I've heard recently is that some people's rates have increased since SkiSafe is no longer associated with USA Waterski / American Wakeboard Association.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-10-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
That is exactly why I switched to Skisafe. My other carrier wanted to know who would all be driving the boat and wanted driving record info. They kept on raising my premium so I said whoa enough is enough and went with Skisafe.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-10-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
No such thing as too much insurance. I use AAA
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-10-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Lance, My Insurance Guy told me that what I needed? Anyway the boat only has 6 hours on it. Its pretty much brand new really never been used. The new ones are going for around 46 grand so I thought if something happend, I would like to atleast have enough money to get a new one. Plus I spent alot on the additional Sterio Equipment.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-10-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
When I had a boat, I put it on my parents house insurance (which also has their cars) since I didn't have my own house insurance. My friend highly recommended I also get an umbrella policy for those random accidents that occur (he had a major accident happen on his boat).

I used PEMCO and for the year for both boat (up to $100K) and umbrella (around 2 million) I paid $212. No lay up period either.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-11-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
Daniel I may be wrong here, but when I spoke with my insurance agents they all told me that just because you insure 35,000 does not mean you will get it. The amount you get from your insurance company is going to be a fair market value. It may be different from state to state but anyone corret me if I'm wrong.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-11-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Lance, Farmewrs Insurance said my boat booked out at I think 40 grand with the trailer. So He pulled that number 43000 out of the air it sounded ok to me. Maybe I should call him and ask if I would recieve that much for the boat? I guess I should have asked more questions.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Get the boat US yachters policy and they pay out the total policy value , not fair market. You should definatley ask the question.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-11-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
Here is the link to the article I wrote 2 years ago for Wake World and Dave ran it again last year. You guys tell Dave if you think it should run again for the newcommers here. Email me with any specific questions.

I hope you guys read the Boat US & Ski Safe policies closely. As I remember 1 of the 2 has a specific exclusion for towing an airchair or kite if that matters to you. Both are very good carriers with good customer service though. Keep the coverage off the homeowners no matter what though & keep high liability and medical limits.
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2004/insurance.asp

Rick
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
I have boat US, and I'm covered for 56k and I pay 550 a year. They seem really reasonable.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-11-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
As some of you know my 05' X2 was in a fire recently and my friends 02' SANTE burnt to the ground in the fire. Both of us have SkiSafe. On my 02' X-Star I had Boater's Insurance. These guys are more like brokers. Ace Insurance was who realy had my policy with Boaters and once I made my claim with SkiSafe I found out that Ace was also the one who has my new policy with SkiSafe.

SkiSafe has dropped Ace but not in time for me. So far it has been horrible for both of us. There were a lot of boats in the building that caught fire. One of the guys who owned a 42' Sonic is an engineer and immediately went to work researching heat and the affects to boats. The surveyor is trying to say my boat isn't totaled. They have no tests and the guy is simply disregarding the information we have gathered. He was not able to see any damage with his eyes so that's what he's basing his recommendation on. An hour after the surveyor left a local fiberglass guy was in the MC shop looking at another boat and immediately noticed dimpling and scorching on my boat. Then today I took the boat to ServiceMaster to get the full cleaning and he noticed some cracks in the boat and even more dimpling. He also pointed out on my steering wheel something they call a heat line. The crome on the center of the steering wheel has the top two thirds damaged from heat and the bottom third only has the pitting and corrosion from the acid but no heat damage.

I have been arguing with the adjuster from Ace about the quality of this surveyor and was told my only recourse would be in court. My friend and I called SkiSafe to complain about the service from the adjuster and surveyor. They seem to be trying a little to help get things moving but we have been very unimpressed so far. I will have to basically get local fiberglass/gelcoat guys, the ServiceMaster guy, MC Engineers, and they guys that make the fiberglass and gelcoat that MC uses to help me prove that all of this has totaled the boat. I’d have thought the job of the surveyor would be to look at these common things that are caused from heat and I’d have expected the insurance company to take action when this level of incompetence is uncovered.

Hopefully they'll take care of things the way they should because MC has dropped the warranty on the boat and the insurance company has told me that if they don't think it's totalled they could care less if MC drops the warranty.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-11-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
One more thing, the policies only cover things like gear and personal items if the damaage/loss occurs while on the water. My friend had all his gear inside his boat and is having to claim against his homeowners for just about everything but the boat.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-11-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
You can see a couple pics at http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=20
Old    slideit            02-11-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
so if i have no DL because of a felony i can pull riders and still get my boat insurance
dude i love america!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Most of the people I know with boats have them on their homeowners insurance. Why not do this? Can someone explain please?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-12-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hey John,
I've been following your threads. Other than wishing you the best out of your horrible situation, I also want to thank you for posting what you've been going thru. Hopefully none of us will have to experience what you are experiencing, but if we do we'll be much wiser becuase of your posts. Thanks.
I'll be contacting my insurance company to make sure gear is cover. From what I've read, what I currently have may only be to get the boat back to a functioning level.

bsflower...
Regarding having boats on homeowners insurance, I'm not sure of the reasoning, but I had received advice in the past about having vehicles titled in multiple names (spouses). If an accident were to happen and someone sued, it could give a direct link back to your personal property (house) if both people are on the title. But, if only one person is on the title then it's kinda protected because you can't take it away from the other person not involved. Maybe this applies to insurance policies too? And sorry, I can't verify the accuracy of the advice I was given.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-13-2005, 12:11 AM Reply   
I use NBOA (Travelers). If a total loss they pay full insured amount which for me is the full purchase price including trailer. No driver restrictions. Policy insured amount is reviewed after 3-4 years to adjust value. I recomend you take out all the coverage you can afford including an umbrella like bsflower recomended.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
WESTMAR
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info JJared. Please keep us updated on the progress of your claim.