Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    mojo            07-01-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
Going to mount that wet box today on a friends boat. I can hook the speaker wire up to the amp fine, but ski club of Montgomery(closed) used some horrid brown wire that is not marked neg. Or pos. What happens if the neg. Wire goes into the pos. Slot of the terminal cup and pos. Into negative slot? Yes I'm rewiring it with 4 conductor 16 gauge next week, but was curious about my current situation. Have a great weekend. AMERICA
Old     (cmart1240)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-01-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
Switching the wires around won't hurt the speaker. However, it's ideal to keep all your positives and negatives labeled, especially with subs. If the wires are switched on 1 speaker, then the cones will move exactly opposite the normal speaker. This causes sound to get canceled out and your system to not be heard across the lake (this is especially true in subs placed close to each other). One thing you you shouldn't do however do is mix up positives and negatives from different channels of your amplifier. If you are scared get a voltmeter from home depot and test which wire is which.

Hope you have a good fourth!!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Just use a DVOM and check for continuity between the ends at the amp and the ends on the tower. Then mark each and with a wire marker.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
A quick cheap and foolproof (as far as I know) way of checking is to get a 9v battery and hook up what you think positive is to positive on battery, and then nagative to negative.

If the excursion of the woofer is outward polarity is correct, if the excursion goes in then polarity is reversed. Depending on the setup you may need two sets of eyes. This will not hurt your speakers.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
Also take a very close look at that cable. Lamp cord like that normally has a groove molded into the casing of one conductor that can be used to ID polarity. If all else fails, ring it out with a meter.