Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Thunderman)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
I was an ocean surfer for years and years so I already have that down. I just don't know what a good board would be for a guy like me. I am 6'2", 195

Thanks!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
I would put you on a Shred Stixx Custom Hazen 4'11' or a Walker Project Convert 4'10(or it might be 4'11")

They work really well for people with a lot of shortboard experience in the ocean.
Old     (Thunderman)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
How about a triple X? It looks like a fish surfboard
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
The Slayer would work well for you, but I still think the previous two boards I mentioned would allow your ocean experience to translate to the wake more. They are also more high performance.
Old     (Thunderman)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I also have 3 kids :-) They won't be shredding, but I want to let them learn on something they can have fun with. I also don't know if dropping nearly $1k can be justified yet, give it a year and hell yeah! By the way, I take delivery of my new Moomba Mojo next Tuesday!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-23-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
I have a hazen custom 4 11. Great board but u have to pump the sh@@ out of it. Not real fast but releases great. Look at soul craft, inland surfer, and phase5. All great boards and many choices. I have a is swallow that has been a great durable board and really fast fun and great for everyone.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
My mistake. Based on your first post i thought you were looking for a high performance board that would complement your ocean experience.

Are the kids around your weight? If so the Triple X Slayer 5'0" or a Shred Stixx Piranha would be good and both under $600. I wouldnt recommend a Phase 5 if your background is ocean surfing since they are skimboards.
Old     (Thunderman)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have surfed on my friend's phase 5 and am not a fan. I think the triple x nitro might be the one, I like the slayer's tail better but am not a fan of quads. I grew up on a thruster :-) Thanks for all the info!!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
Quads are a bit different behind the boat. They are not near as loose as they are in the ocean. In fact, they are quite stiff. The added drive they provide is great and really helps for airs.
Thrusters dont provide near the drive that quads can produce, but they are extremely stable. Most people have to ride as a twin in order to spin them or even get a decent lipslide.
Old     (Thunderman)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
What do you guys think of the Ronix Koal?
Old     (Thunderman)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
Hmmmm, That is interesting! I started surfing on a Mark Richards twin and it was so loose!! Ok, Might go with the slayer then!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
I would definitely pass on the Ronix Koal.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-23-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
definalty dont go to the ronix koal. i have ridden the slayer and the nitro. The slayer is much faster in my opinion and is super quick edge to edge. If you want something really trick check out the new ashley kidd pro model from TripleX.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-24-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have a TripleX nitro on the boat for newer riders to ride and it is a pretty fun board and they are on the lower end of the price scale. Not real "high performance" as it weighs about 3x my SoulCraft boards but It is a fun surfstyle board and built pretty beefy so you will have it for a while... Once you get used to it, riding it as a twin loosens it up a bit to keep it fresh. When you decide that you want a more performance board it will still be good fun for the kids.