Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-07-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
We’re having a late cold snap, this is the third straight day with light snow showers. I’ve got a new dry suit; I’ve got my boat back from the shop, now what better to do on a snowy day than in stall my new Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) System!

Here’s the hardware from FAE and a few tools:
Upload

You’ll need to make a run out to the hardware store to pick up some Loctite and some silicon sealant.

Here are the tools I used:
#2 Phillips screw driver
5/16 Socket
7/16 Socket
½ Socket
3/8ths Socket drive and extension
½ open ended wrench
Cordless drill
1/8 drill bit
Vice
Metal saw
Marker

I didn't see on the instructions which side to mount the rubber flange gasket, but it’s pretty obvious that it goes between the boat and the flange, not between the flange and the FAE pipes.
Upload

Remove the flappers and set aside, keep the screws.
Upload

Flappers removed
Upload

Put silicone sealant on the four screws
Upload

Mounted flanges
Upload

Loosen clamps and rotate the FAE down pipe in to place
Upload
Upload

Fit the FAE pipes on the flanges. I put a little soap on to make them go on easier.
Upload

Then mark where the threaded rods will meet the swim platform
Upload

Check lag screw depth, mark the crossbars, and install cross bars.
Upload
Upload

Measure and cut threaded rods to length.
Upload
Upload

One rod in place
Upload
Two in place There are four washers, two regular nuts, one aircraft locking nut, and a section of rubber hose on the threaded rod.
Upload

The final install
Upload
Upload

We’re installing the docks at the boat club next weekend. Hopefully it will warm up a bit, I can’t wait to try out the FAE.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-07-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Ed
Thanks for the heads up about this post. Nice presentation, thank you. My only suggestion:
If you need to "lubricate" the hose/tubing during installation, use isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol). That way there is no residual lubricant that could interfere with the connection.
Larry Mann
Fresh Air Exhaust
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-07-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Hmmmm... I might remove and clean the fittings before I out in.

I read that in the instructions but didn't have isoproply in the house at the time.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics and story, I have been thanking of putting one on since we just started wakesurfing.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-08-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
Nice thread Ed, good looking install.........
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-11-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Maybe a dumb question, but the entire purpose is to keep the fumes underwater while surfing? Correct? Does this have any effect on the "loudness" of the exhaust? Is it any quieter while boarding?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yes, my boat should run more quietly. I've read posts where some claim to forget that the engine is on while idling. I should have a report after the weekend.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-11-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I just found a below thread that did states it quietened the exhaust quite a bit (50% or so) Do you mind giving me an idea how much hte kit is? Also how does it fasten to a fiberglass swim platform.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Cost is about $360 depending on your boat, another $25 for the polished metal finish. My set up currently only has polished elbows, Larry Mann is sending a polished down pipe soon.

Info: http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

Prices: http://www.boatpipes.com/FAE_PriceList.html

It can attach to a fiber glass swim platform but I recommend emailing Larry Mann at FAE and ask that question: mail@boatpipes.com

There are some center for disease control (CDC) technical reports on the effectiveness of FAE, I think you can down load copies form the FAE site.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
It's pretty cool to be cruising along at 25-30mph and have most of the noise (except the stereo) coming from the water spraying off the hull. I'd say closer to 75% reduction in engine noise.

While that's all well and good, the reduction in exhaust fumes is the chit. What started out as reducing CO to the rider end up being reducing all of the fumes to everyone in the boat. The station wagon effect in these boats is huge. They are so much nicer to ride in with the FAE.

It's been a while since I bought mine but I think it was in the $450 range. I don't miss that money one bit and would gladly pay it again.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
Oh, well, there you go. Ask Larry, he's a good guy.

I bought a Surf Skate from him at the same time. I thinks that's where I got the $450 from.
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
Joshua, we have the fiberglass platform with FAE. It doesn't attach to the platform itself. It attaches to the platform supports and a piece of metal running between the supports that Larry includes with the kit. We are on our second year with it and won't go without. No CO and you can talk to the surfer without yelling. With our boat, '02 xstar, we only know the boat is actually running when idling because of the slight hum from the motorbox.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Ed, I just bought my first boat and will be trading up within a year or so. How hard is it to take the FAE off one boat and install on another boat?
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I don't think you're going to be able to switch them out too easily, unless the two boats have the same exact dimensions. I would say at the very least you would need two new elbows and some new mounts. At that point, I think I would just sell the boat with it on there and get a new one.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I'd email Larry and FAE and ask if part of the system can be salvaged, my guess is that Nick has it right, not worth the effort to remove and re-install.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Ed & Nick. I'll just install the FAE on my next boat. Hopefully, I won't gas myself in the interim.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-15-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
Larry Mann sent a polished metal down pipe a few week ago. I finally found a moment to install the shinny new down pipe. It was pretty easy to do. There was a little carbon build up at the joints. I dissolved the carbon with rubbing alcohol. Here are a few pictures.

The cool thing is that Fresh Air Exhaust is providing a FAE system to one lucky winner at Wakefest this July 7th.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

The old install.
Upload
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-16-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
I wonder if FAE considers the phrase "jury rigged" as one of the pillars of their business...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-16-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Huh?