Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-22-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
So don't laugh at my lack of air, because I'm still a beginner...but I'm really excited because I just attempted and landed my first jump!! I tried it three times, and landed all 3 times. Just a few weeks ago I could barely get up and stay up, now I'm carving, crossing the wake, and starting to jump!!

Any tips on jumping (getting more air, controlled landings, etc)?
Attached Images

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-22-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
Watch the vids on YouTube, and praaaaaaactice, then one day you'll pop and you'll wonder why it took so long
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
The Book is a excellent DVD to get for information.Also Learnwake.com is a good way to progress.Looking at your picture you could bump up the speed by 1 to 2 mph and keep the handle low and on your lead hip.As you come up the wake make sure your standing tall like the way you leave a diving board or trampoline.Straight legs,body straight and chest pushed up to the sky.You will feel the difference right away.
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-23-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Yeah, it was my first attempt so I was more going for "not crashing" than anything else.

I'll try cutting in harder and standing tall next time and hopefully catch more air. Landing seems like it just takes practice, but seemed easy enough with the little jumps.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-25-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
Way to go, Sarah! Kudos to you....bet you are totally hooked now!! :-D
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-27-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hooked for sure. Tried to get more pop when I was out yesterday....ended up with a mouth full of blood on my first run, but kept going. Got a little more air by the end of the day. I am officially addicted
Old     (supragirl)      Join Date: May 2011       08-27-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
A little blood can happen. I have not had that one but have done a few face plants. I'm definitely working on my pop right now too and although I'm not a good teacher Learnwake.com is a very good site that I strongly recommend. Time on the water will take you far! Good luck!
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-27-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks Tammy, have you gone w2w yet?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
Congrats Sarah! Really work on that progressive cut and use that wake as a ramp (bend/extend). Just takes practice and what ever you do, don't give up!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
awesome Sarah!!!!!
Old     (supragirl)      Join Date: May 2011       08-28-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
I may have gone W2W once on very short rope at Wakeboard Camp but I have been more focused on getting pop on my one wake jumps. I've gotten better with that so a goal for next season may be trying more on the W2W.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-28-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Put a little down front shoulder and keep elbows more close to body on the ramp
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Audrey and Cliff!

Tammy - Is it easier to jump with a shorter rope?

Alex - thanks, I'll try that!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
SARAH if you practice standing tall without a aggressive cut into the wake then stay on edge through the other wake you will get more comfortable.Then practice standing tall off the second wake and staying on edge into the flats.You get comfortable with both then put them together for a wake jump.Good Luck!
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-29-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Robert, can't wait to get back out there...
Old     (NewWakeGirl)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-03-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
That is Awesome! haha I'm totally hooked too. I just got my first jump last weekend. Hardly any air, but it was something!...they went a little faster and made the rope longer to give me a shot at getting some air. w2w would be awesome, maybe I could do it next year if I had enough time on the water. Way to go! :-)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-05-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
Sarah, congrats on your first jump! It sounds like you're catching on quick! Once you start getting air, wakeboarding becomes something totally new and just keeps getting better.

There have been some very good tips from the crew above. Here's my take:

1) While you're working on getting more air and eventually wake to wake, run your rope as short as possible. It'll allow you to get the feeling of a wake to wake jump without needing to come in guns a'blazing and experiencing nasty 2nd wake cases and crashes.

2) I noticed from your picture (I know that was one of your first jumps, but bear with me) you've got your handle up at shoulder level. One wake jumps, you'll be able to get away with it sometimes, but as your jumps grow, you'll want to have that handle in closer to your leading (in your case, left) hip. The higher your raise your handle, your board will want to fall more behind you. We all know how much fun front edges can be ;-)

3) Without going into a bunch of crazy analogies and descriptions of how to cut in and wake jump... focus on this: work on coming in with more and more speed, keep on your edge (don't let off your accelerator) all the way up the wake (also helps with avoiding front edge catches) and try to straighten your legs more and more by the top of the wake until you clear the other side. It'll come to you quicker than you think.

Good luck and be sure to let us know when you land that first wake to wake'er!
Old     (shags004)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-06-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
Sarah, congrats on your first jump! It sounds like you're catching on quick! Once you start getting air, wakeboarding becomes something totally new and just keeps getting better.

There have been some very good tips from the crew above. Here's my take:

1) While you're working on getting more air and eventually wake to wake, run your rope as short as possible. It'll allow you to get the feeling of a wake to wake jump without needing to come in guns a'blazing and experiencing nasty 2nd wake cases and crashes.

2) I noticed from your picture (I know that was one of your first jumps, but bear with me) you've got your handle up at shoulder level. One wake jumps, you'll be able to get away with it sometimes, but as your jumps grow, you'll want to have that handle in closer to your leading (in your case, left) hip. The higher your raise your handle, your board will want to fall more behind you. We all know how much fun front edges can be ;-)

3) Without going into a bunch of crazy analogies and descriptions of how to cut in and wake jump... focus on this: work on coming in with more and more speed, keep on your edge (don't let off your accelerator) all the way up the wake (also helps with avoiding front edge catches) and try to straighten your legs more and more by the top of the wake until you clear the other side. It'll come to you quicker than you think.

Good luck and be sure to let us know when you land that first wake to wake'er!
Hey thanks so much, and I def will!