Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MalibuLX3)      Join Date: May 2010       06-04-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I've got a 1999 Malibu Sportster LX and both of the speedometers have stopped working within the past year. I've looked at the pick-up's on the back of the boat, but wanted some advice before I start pulling things apart. I know GPS is most likely more accurate, but I'd still like the original speedometers to work.

Any suggestions?
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       06-04-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
Usually in my case, at least, there tends to be debris (weeds, mossy muck) that gets caught around pickups, get a can of compressed air and blow all around pickup area. Sometimes my speedos will get out of whack, so I take a GPS on boat occasionally to re-calibrate.
Old     (MalibuLX3)      Join Date: May 2010       06-05-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
I took it at apart today and blew it out with my air compressor, but I don't think that's what is wrong with it. I'll have to find out who the manufacture is and see if I can find anything else out about it.
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
take a look at www.airguide.com.au and click on support for all the information you need

NEVER EVER blow compressed air into the pickups with your speedo connected. That is one of three sure ways to kill your speedo. 30psi is all they can take. Compressors put out 100psi plus and will blow the diapraghm to bits destryong your speedo.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Do you have Airguide or Kysor? The Kysor has a computer to consider.

Since I have perfect pass, I'm thinking about mounting my 3.5 inch Apline remote in the right speedo location and the perfect pass in the middle. I already relocated my head unit to the glove box and the remove will get moved from the bracket at my knee. I think it will be a little more useful. That arm rest location is stupid.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
NEVER EVER blow compressed air into the pickups with your speedo connected
Hope my advice wasn't taken wrong way. What I said was to blow around pick-up area, I get seaweed and muck that gets caught up around pick-ups and compressed air can be a great cleaning tool.