Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-17-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Hey, I'm just learning about digital video, I've looked around for some answers on the web and I haven't quite found what I'm looking for, so here goes.
Is there I way I can burn short clips to a CD, in a format that can be played in a DVD player (ie not computer, just one hooked up to a TV), and still have DVD type quality? I'm using a mac with imovie (it's also got idvd on it). So let's say I make a five minute movie. I can burn that onto a DVD and that's great, except it takes a while to burn the DVD, and it seems like such a waste to use a DVD for five minutes of video when it would hold what, maybe 60? Also, if I could put it on a CD I could make copies of it on any computer system, not just ones with a DVD burner. I've tried using toast to burn VCDs and SVCDs and thought the quality was very poor. (I'm guessing the fact that there is such a thing as VCD means there isn't a better format, it just seems like there should be:-)
If I can't put these short films onto CDs, can I put them, one at a time, onto a single DVD? If so, can a DVD player read them. That is, can I burn a five minute film onto a DVD, then play it on my TV, then add another five minute film two weeks later?
Is quicktime a poor format, in terms of the size of the files? It seems the stuff I end up with is larger than comparable-quality files I've downloaded in, say, .wmv format. Is there an easy/cheap way to convert from quicktime to other formats, or can imovie export to other formats?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Jared