Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (agaubrey)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-02-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Top 10 Reasons the Raley Earns it’s Respect Back

10. Kneeboarders do layouts – and we all know how rad kneeboarding is.

9. The best way to learn it is on a wakeskate.

8. It counts as an invert.

7. Many who read this list don’t know what I’m talking about.

6. Brady Sammons finally stopped sticking his tongue out like Kiss when he does them.

5. I’ve seen Mike Rogers throw them Crypt back to back.

4. Chet Raley gave it a more creative name than a “Superman.”

3. You can’t do them small.

2. Come on…say it…we’ll do it together…they’re fun.

And the number one reason why the Raley earns it’s respect back…

1. They can get you laid.
Old    00wakesetter            05-02-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
ha
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-02-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Haha, that's great!

-Steve
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-02-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
They can definately get you laid. Girls like that trick more than any other trick out there by far
Old    00wakesetter            05-02-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
I dont know. I have seen some go crazy when they found out the name of the trick was a whirly dick!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-02-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
I'm not gonna lie, I hate doing raleys, they hurt my back and I think they just look stupid (Besides being one of the most over rated tricks ever!) but I sure have done them for that number one reason. So as much as I hate raleys, I love what they can accomplish, lol.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-02-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
BTW, I'm only talking about raleys, grabbed glides and batwings and the more technical vatiations on them are the s@#$ and hella fun to do but dont get you as much poon, lol.

(Message edited by kristian on May 02, 2006)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-02-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
what the hell is a raley? do you mean a superman?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-02-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
Some people call them a donkey kick thane.
Just stay away from them.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
raley's kick ass. if i could do them switch, that's all i'd ever do on a wakeboard
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-02-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
At our tournament this weekend this older black gentleman who was fishing almost fell over laughing when the announcer called out a Hoochie Glide.

"Hoochie Glide? Are you kidding me? Aww man, that just crazy talk son." I almost fell over laughing at his response.

Aaron, ask Doud about last Spring at Nacimiento when we were riding with Rod & Ranger and some douche kept doing laps around us blasting 4 foot raleys over & over again. A sad moment for all of us.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
raley's also hurt when you try to lay it out for 3 minutes and don't get your feet under you in time!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-02-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
A girl doing a raley deserves respect for sure. Doesnt happen often. Heres raley contest for girls only.
http://www.endofropegang.com/cpgnuke/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3604
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-02-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Big Heavy Id be proud of my 4 foot raley if i had one ,only because i know if i can do a 4ft raley now id be doing 6 ft next year and maybe 8ft the year after :-)

I love raleys as well but too much of a haedcase to throw one correctly ,mine always turn into giant laid out Brolls and i land on my board and almost ride away..i got so tired of doing them wrong i havent tried one in a year..

cant seem to get my weight to stay even on both feet all the way through the wake then i turn my haed ..

Darn it ! I want a Raley !

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
bill- you dont really want to hold your edge all the way through the wake. that will cause you to go into that b-roll deally and you will jus blow through the wake and get no pop. i had a similar problem mself for a while. as you edge up the wake you want to slowly come off your edge and allow the boat to pull you forward. as your cutting into the wake your edging harder and harder, leaning against the boat and loading the line. as you ride up the wake you start to flatten out a little bit and let the boat pull you forward. this will give you the pendulum effect and make the trick very effortless. hope that helps you out a little bit
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
Aaron, I don't think I've seen you do a raley.

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
good point j-rod.
how was the water today. i got ur message but i wasnt gonna be able to make it.
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-02-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Look what you've started, Aubrey.

Aaron will do a raley and the occasional recuslive invert rarely. It's usually on a day or set deemed the "do stuff you never do anymore" run. I can't count the number of times I've seen Aaron ride, but I can count the number of Raley's I've seen him do one hand.

And that's a good thing. I'll take a wrapped 5 into the flats over some raley trick any day of the week, whether I'm shooting with my camera or just watching.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Jason,

The water was awesome. 70 degrees on the gauge.

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-02-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
Chris started doing them last summer too, must be something in the water. He usually will only do them now when his mother is in the boat - bout gives her a heart attack!

I respect guys that do Raleys, I know it's not the hardest or coolest trick anymore but I think everyone that does them had to eat major sh@t at some point to get that move into their arsenal and that's worth some respect!

If anyone out there says they won't do them because the Raley is not cool it's probably really because they're a sissy! (at least that's what I told Chris he was until last year)

You gonna stop by this summer Aaron?
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-02-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
Almost blew out my knee on a raley. Gave up on that trick for 2-3 years because I couldn't stop myself from rolling. Finally I learned to do a krypt last year and about two months ago I finally committed to trying another raley and landed 3 of them back to back to back. Anybody else have the same problem and learn the krypt before the raley?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
Not to big into the stock raleys, seen to many I guess, but love watching a tweeked out indy glide (Robby Carter style) or batwing to blind.
Old    lovin_the_sport            05-03-2006, 12:10 AM Reply   
lol... A Raley can get you laid!!!

You should ask Shawn Raley if thats true!

~Hannah
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-03-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
Nice List but, I have actually seen a lot of people do them "Small" It is always super scarey when they do.
Old    lovin_the_sport            05-03-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
Shawn Reile... He does them big!!! Cant wait for the summer to watch a few!!! :-)
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
A raley is just like going to Hooters. It sucks but you just can't help it.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
nothing better than a wake to wake raley
Old     (texan1554)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
the raley TAKES BALLS, thats why it's a fun trick. The adrenaline rush you get doing a raley is so much more than anything else out there. Mostly because it really hurts when you mess it up (I've been knocked out twice trying hoochies). It's also the reason it has been the staple wakeboarding trick sense the beginning
Old     (texan1554)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Hey question: how fast do you think you are going when you hit the wake mph wise. I mean when you really rip into it. my guess would be around 30-35.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
forget wake to wake-- how about air air raleys? those the poop!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
How about takin it to a 313? Thats one of my favs!!
Old     (smokedawg311)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
TTIWWP
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-03-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
I'll agree... But what I really want to know is: What will an OHH get you? They add a lot to the raley.

By the way, I think I've been laid for doing a raley, on request, before... Ask those that know me, they'll tell you it wasn't because of looks!

-Blake
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-03-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
not his fovorite trick, but sometimes you have to do them.http://www.pe.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=59730&catId=324
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-03-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Aaron aren't you known for your double grabbed raleys :-)
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
I hit the wake right and fly really good, but before I know it I have one a huge flip. I cant figure out if I am letting go or the rope is popin outta my hands, my adrenaline is pumping so hard its over with befoer I know it
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Blake:

quote:

Ask those that know me, they'll tell you it wasn't because of looks!

What do you mean?
Upload

-Steve
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
read jasons post
Old    wakebmxer            05-03-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
AAron is an OG RiverRat and he can do Raleys. I am not sure where he is coming from on this but a raley is what a back flip is to BMX. I cant do Raleys but I now want to just to piss Aaron off!!!....LOL.....The boat is running Aaron...come home to the salt. BMX photo by West Coast Walt

Upload
Old    lovin_the_sport            05-04-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Steve & Blake,

lol... Blake, gettin laid had to be your technique. Seriously look at your form!
Old    wakebmxer            05-07-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
AIR Aubrey!!!!!!!!!!!