Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-08-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
I am thinking about replacing my 6.5" interior speakers with 6x9s. Are there any downsides to this, or should I just replace with better 6.5"s?
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-08-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
stick with 6.5's 6x9s suck
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
6X9's will have a better base response. If you have a sub, then they will be overpowered anyway. I would go with some Polk 6.5's or 6.75's.

Run over 75W to each of them, and you will be golden.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
I like the way 6X9's sound. In cars I would agree 6.5's sound better than most any 6X9. But in a open envoroment 6X9's sound pretty good. I have found that 6X9's will take a beating better than most 6.5's.

The downsides IMO would only be that you have to cut a larger hole and they dont look as clean as a 6.5 in a side pannel
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
would go with a high quality 6.5 and a very large high quality amp..
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-09-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Clubmyke: any recommendations on high quality 6.5s?
Old    enriched            11-09-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
MB QUART 6 1/2" PCE'S. BOSTON ACOUSTICS PRO 60, If I were you I would install a component set that you could co-axial mount. These would give you the best sound.
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
boston a's are nice

(Message edited by nautielove on November 09, 2006)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
i've always been a big image dynamics chamelon fan...they displaced my dynaudio gt 240 and cost less (they go for $250 - $275 vs $900 set) and can be used in a coaxial or seperate mounting. the bass sounds like i have a 10" under the passenger seat (tone controls set flat)

only drawback is the back magnet is very big and requires some room behind them and the midbass drivers dont come with grills (used a mq quart grill)..
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
btw, if you have room for seperates...focal kevlar is very nice too.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-09-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
If you have room you may want to look into these.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=22
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-09-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
I agree with Grant. 6x9s take alot of abuse and keep on rockin'. Plus they are cheap. I went with 6x9s in the cabin, sound great and I run 300w thru them and no problems. I know some people get all bent sideways about SQ with 6x9s but come on, they are in a boat. In a boat you want dB levels.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-09-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Its funny the orignal post. From Nick Davis asks about putting 6X9's in his boat. For some reason I get the feeling that he has or is working with a budjet. IMO you cant beat a 5 way Pioneer 6X9 as far as price to sound quality. I have bought them NEW for as cheep as $60 a pair. IMO There is no 6.5 on the planet for $60 NEW that can compete
with the 5 ways Im talking about. The Focals and the ID's are awesome speakers "NO QUESTION". BUT WRONG APPLICATION. Test them for yourself. Get a $500 set of Focals MB's or any other high quality seprate. Power them up play them at the level's that work in and on or around a boat. Then try a good quality 6X9. IMO the 6X9's work out much better. The 6.5's will sound better cleaner more accurate at low to mid level's. Then start putting the screw's to your High end 6.5's. Turn up the volume. All the 6.5 I have partyed with the crossovers get hot, the tweeters shut down and things start getting ulgy. Thats where 6X9's keep working with no problems at high volume's all day long. So I guess it depends on how your gonna use your system. If you gonna chill out turn off the motor and listen to music and you want it to sound as clean and accurate as it can then 6.5's are a great choice. But if you like to rock it 6X9's are a good choice. BTW the JL 7inc speakers that come stock in MC's Bang, They sound great check them out if your stuck on a round seprate type of speaker, get ready to shell out $400
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-10-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses so far. Grant is right in his last post. In asking the question from the original post, I had no intentions of forking out $400 for one component set, although it is good to know what to look for when I am ready. My original question originated from my desire to change the 4 kicker dx693s in my tower box, with better 6x9s, and use the dx693 to replace my current interior 6.5s, which I am dissatisfied with. I am still contemplating whether this is worth doing. Ideally, I would like to be able to hear my 6x9s a little better while riding, and at the same time, make the interior speakers sound better. Any recommendations for the replacement 6x9s? Thanks
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-10-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
I like the Pioneer 6x9's. But recently heard a set of audiobahn marine 6x9's and thought they sounded good too. On the interior speakers Pioneer makes a 8 inch if you have the room, that is excellent. It is the TS-MR2040 and it will produce great sound.

(Message edited by sea_ray_dave on November 10, 2006)
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-10-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
David: do you know how the Pioneer and Audiobahn 6x9s you mentioned compare to the Polk MOMOs or Kicker K series?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Might want to consider the Infinity Kappa's too. Not bad for the price. Although my money would go to Polk db series, real good bang for the buck. I like them just a smidge better than the Pioneers.
Old    stevie211            11-10-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
remember you get what you pay for !!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-10-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
i would have to agree with grant to a certain point...a 6x9 will do better in "some" regards than a 6.5" (hey more cone area) but installation and fidelity plays a part here (ie can a 6x9 fit and how does it sound?)..a nice 6x9 or 6x9 seperates cost $$$ (i cant fit a 6x9 in my boat...i guess if you can, go for it..it is a good best bang for the buck)..

if you dont mind experimenting....would highly suggest b&c /beyma /phl/selenium 6.5 woofers and morel semi horn loaded tweeters( the b&c/beyma are high fidelity pro audio drivers that are very high efficency and can get very, very, very, very, loud (heck get the b&c 8" coaxial- nothing will touch it..)

btw, i have run alot of different seperates and have had the tweeters got hot and have the crossovers go into protection mode (the mb's were pretty good as were the id chamelon's)

well, to make a long story short, the amps were overheating and and putting out less power (thats what they are designed to do..) i moved to massive overkill on the amps(ie one amp per component set or very big stereo ie minimum 250 to 350 rms of zapco reference series vs 100 stereo and have never had a tweeter crossover shutdown again)....not to mention it sounded a heck of a whole lot better...imo, most systems are underpowered starting at the deck straining the input stage of the amp(thats a different topic all together)

i really cant reccomend the id gear any higher...if you want a 6.5" set that can go coaxial or serparate and are reasonably priced for $125 - $200 on ebay (hey i get lucky every once in a while)- they are really magical with a healthy zapco or an arc amp.

also, mike suggested the polks... very good bang for the buck...
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-11-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I had the polks (MMC6500) components and dumped them for the Pioneers. At high power, the pioneers just sounded better (fuller and clearer). Mikeski brought up the Infinity Kappas, I like those too, they will take power and sound good too. Can't help much on the Kicker K series other than the separate component tweeters and I went with JBL over those. I do use Kicker for my bass (CVX 12's) and they are excellent tied to a class d 1200 watt amp.

I should add that the Polk db series is a cheaper set of speakers than the ones I mentioned, but they do sound good. Be careful with Polk because of their cut out size. Use the 6.75 for a 6.5 hole. Their 6.5 is a little short on fitting correctly compared to other brands.

(Message edited by sea_ray_dave on November 11, 2006)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-11-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
I like the pioneer 6x9's. Pionneer's are very bright sounding wich is what I want. Two on the tower and two inside.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-11-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
I like the pioneer 6x9's. Pionneer's are very bright sounding wich is what I want. Two on the tower and two inside.

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       11-11-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
I looked around at different 6x9's people used and then solicited some info from people on here. The pioneers won overall. Most rave reviews, and cheap cheap price. (about $70pair) Its tough to get people to agree on speakers, but I have been really happy.

Would I have paid an additional $100 per pair for a better speaker. No, these work just fine and my jacked hearing can't tell the difference anyway.

I am making a tower box now, and will be putting those same pioneers into it again.

We rocked it for 8hrs straight at Berryessa, and had no problems, tons of compliments on sound level with those pioneers.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-14-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Has anyone else had the problem with the fitting on the polks that Dave mentioned?