Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (bigairbrady)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2007, 11:52 PM Reply   
about a month ago, i got an 07 x-30. on the test run, someone ran over a rock beneath the surface. i made the sales guy take the boat out so we could assess...the prop was damaged, the blades were bent, he says not to worry, that they'll replace the prop first thing in the morning. claiming he didn't have keys to take the boat back to the lot, he had me do the paper work there, drive the boat/trailer to my house for the night & bring it back to the shop the next am. basically, didn't he just sell me a damaged boat? (but that's not the heart of the issue)
prop was replaced & next day we put it in the water. speedometer read about 5 mi. fast. the gauges weren't consistant (ballast, gas), there was a noticeable vibration in the drive shaft, & (this is the clincher) if you let go of the wheel at anything above 12-1500rpm, the boat hooks to the left--enough to practically make a u-turn!
take boat out & bring to service dept. according to them: there was a coupler loose that caused the vibration & the steering was found to be off-center, so they fixed that & all gauges were working fine on the lot. swell.
put boat back in the water. steering was better at first, then the left u-turn thing happened again. also, when i turned to the right to fetch my boarder, the steering "locked up" halfway thru the turn. the ballast & gas gauge was like watching a ping-pong game...i felt like i was driving a bumper boat.

any thoughts?
spare me the rude comments, what i need is some truly worthwhile input, please. thanks, guys!
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-01-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
If your dealer doesn't take care of these issues i'd be talking to corporate Mastercraft in Vonore TN.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-01-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
I take it yrou a new boat owner, especially to the inboard market. The mastercraft ballast guages have had a know problem of not reading right...I've never been on a mastercraft ( 3 from 05-07 that have had them work correctly). the left U-turn thing is because of the offset of the rudder....they used to do this to help keep the baot straight in a slaom course. Many manufactureres got away from it but I guess MC is still using it. The rudder is ofset against the rotation of the prop. No big deal. It's not a car. The lock up your noticing is b/c of you, learn how to drive that big bus of a boat. Dont; expect an x-30 to turn on a dime and not lock in tight turns. Try this...decrease the throttle headign into a sharp turn let the "stern" sink for a splti second then get back on the throttl out of ht turn...the rider will never be able to tell the difference, except the fact you just made a turn inside yrou own wake.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-01-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
you should be idling to pick up your rider unless it's a an emergency.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
First, this isn't bashing MC- my comments would be the same no matter which mfgr.

Sorry Sam, but that seems like a lot of excuses for a boat that someone just spent $60-70k on. A that's just the way it is won't cut it for most buyers. But wasn't there a test ride long before the final run and signing papers. Were these problems on this boat or the one you test drove? If they are common problems to X-30, that should be easily compared. Any other owners?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-01-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
paul those are not excuses...those are why he is having his so called "problems". This sounds like the typical first time boat buyer to me.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
The speedo reading fast is really nothing. You can adjust your speedo by pushing the button on the dash that says speedo, it will move the needle up or down. The offset rutter is for two things one is like Sam said to counter the rotation of the prop, the other is when or if you need to pull the drive shaft you don't have to remove the rudder.
The steering wheel is going to be off center at different speeds, you cant really center it.
I dont know if he sold you a damaged boat or if you bought a damaged boat. The dealer held true and fixed the prop, so I dont think anyone was out to get you.
Gas gauge moves with the angle of the boat, your most accurate reading is when your sitting still(level).
The ballast gauges, well they just stink, mine does it, I just fill them until they overflow, they are either full or empty, and thats all I really pay attention to.
I really think your boat is fine, Welcome to the world of boating. I would get to be friends with your dealer, cuz in the boating world no matter what brand or style you have there will always be little issues.
Old     (corporalkickass)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
do you know that they replaced it with the right prop?
you could always trade it in--sure, ya lose a heap of $$--but then you could get an air nautique 220 or something that handles like a champ!
Old     (corporalkickass)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
besides, isn't the x30 discontinued after this year?! what's so great about the x30 anyway?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Yeah you even get a folding lawn chair for a bench seat in the 220 along with a bow the size of 17ft Bayliner.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-01-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
and a rough water ride that will jar your teeth out of your head
Old     (bigairbrady)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
actually, it's my 3rd boat--true, it's the 1st BIG ASS boat i've had (the other was a 25' cobalt long ago, but that thing drove like a caddy), so i'm not a complete rookie...
the gas gauge was reading inconsistantly on start-up, not just when in motion; each time would read a different level.
what i couldn't figure out is why there aren't any skags beneath the boat--and sales guy didn't have any kind of an answer...
any other tips you guys can offer (thanks will & billy) would be appreciated.
and sam, not to get personal, but at least i can spell.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-02-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
yes, my spelling is atrocious. It more a result of my horrible typing skills. I transpose alot of letters...spell check is on now
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-02-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
The fins are retractable on the X30. There is a lever next to the hull drain plug. Just push it to the left to lower the tracking fins. Its a great feature if you get in shallow water.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-02-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   

J/K
Old     (bigairbrady)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
wow, you're flippin hilarious
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Did you believe it? just for a second?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Your mistake was taking delivery before you test drove it after the repair.

"They didn't have the keys" .....Yeah right, I am sure the keys magically appeared after you signed the papers.