Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
I know the 409 is great on fuel consumption per hour. It has been measured around 3-3.55 gallons a hour for a week straight doing all tow sports and cruising in Lake Powell. Just wondering how much more the 450 would consume per hour doing the same thing?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-12-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
409 as in cubic inches? 3.5 GPH is mind blowing! My 454 is around 6-7 GPH by my estimation which is pretty typical I suppose. I've heard of guys running SN2001 with 351w and getting under 5 GPH, but they're small light boats with small engines. I'd be interested in what boat (and how much ballast) this fuel economy is measured and what cam, timing curve, and injection system is used.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
2009 SANTE 230 with factory ballast, people and gear. 3 gallons a hour for a week straight. They did have a house boat though. Another 2009 SANTE 230 that got 3.55 ealier that year. The factory ballast was 791 total. Wakeboarding, surfing, skiing and cruising. I don't know about tubing?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-12-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
My Indmar 8.1 with the X45 would run about 10 gallons per engine hour depending on what we were doing. Ballasted wakeboarding and hardly ever crashing would run 12 or more, same with cruising 34 MPH with a full load of people. Tubing unballasted and such would be a little less. On a very busy day, we would rack up 6 hours on the meter, between lunch stops, swimming and shutting off to change riders.

I can't imagine that the PCM would be all that much different.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2011, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
It has been measured around 3-3.55 gallons a hour for a week straight doing all tow sports and cruising in Lake Powell.
Thats amazing if its true but to me it doesn't sound reasonable. I haven't heard anyone mentioning numbers like that, usually in the 6-8 range.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
ZR6 running for 1 1/2 hrs pulling skiers @ 30 to 36 mph start and stop in the course and I run through about 4 gals of gas. I do this about this about 4 times a week all summer long. So its pretty accurate for my motor and boat. 2004 PCM ZR6. No ballast two peeps in the boat and one on the line. I usually have only about 10 gallons of gas on board at any given time.

If you want more numbers on PCMs go to www.planetnautique.com