Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-20-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
I'm looking to upgrade my Ballast in my XLV. has stock Ballast right now. ( 275 v-sacs and 600+ center bag.)
What have you guys done to upgrade aside from ordering the GG bags from dealer. ( Lowest quote I got was $900 for the GG bags). That is too much for my blood.

I also want to know if any of you would be willing to part with your Center ballast bag???

I may use those in the rear lockers and order just the GG center bag.

Another option I have been mulling over is to get the Fly-High V-drive bags ( 400+ ) and put them in the back and add about 200-300 lbs in lead bags so I can move around when I want. That should give me about 1700lbs of ballast.
I am leaning at the above option right now.

Any and all opinions will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Our boats have very similar wake shapes and foot print on the water.

I was running 550's in the rear of my boat along with the 1000lb CG bag in the front locker. The wake wanted to roll below 22.5 so I swapped out the back bags with Fly High's. I have a little more transition now, but the wake is still very firm and the slower riders are able to enjoy the wake as well.

Now if you want a monster wake! This last weekend we ran the above ballast along with an additional 450lbs of lead in the rear. We had to have everyone stand towards the front of the boat in order to plane out, and the wake was absolutely enormous! The only downside with that much weight is you need to be able to ride at 23mph or higher to enjoy the wakes potential.

(Message edited by SEATTLE on March 20, 2006)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-20-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
there ia a place on e-bay that will customize any size of bag for 149bucks -- have two of them made -- would search for you--but can't access the bay from here --sorry..
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-20-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
Josh I saw that on e-bay as well.
Thanks for the info.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-20-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
I too own an 05 XLV and I went with the Flyhigh pro -bags but I got the 750lbs X 2= 1500lbs. I paid around $225 for the two bags from buywake.com. I do the 40F/60R filling and I throw a wake larger than needed. I was told I use the old grey bags in the seat locker for more weight in the middle for wakesurfing. I thought the center bag was 650lbs...anyway I was told the GG bags held less weight than the bags I have.
Good luck and thanks for the offer on the speakers.

Aquaholic out
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-20-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
I have an 05 SSV and did the exact same thing aquaholic did. added lead in front and 750 bags in front works great. Forget the overpriced GG bags. You can do all this for around $250 get the lead from a local tire shop. most cases they will give it to you.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
im in the same boat with my XLV, i need the bigger bags, do the flyhigh ones have the current fittings so the stock hoses snap right in?
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-20-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
i am getting my 24ssv in a couple of weeks and i ordered the gravity 3 system but i think i need more esp. for wakesurfing i know it comes with 1950lbs stock but what is the configuration and any recomendations for huge wakesurf wake let me know
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-20-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
what do i search under to find those custom ballast
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-20-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
entrust,
The fly high bags have the same threaded fittings. All you have to do is swap bags. You may have to lengthen the hoses though!!
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
A new option for this year is the new Elevate line of complete automatic ballast systems. Elevate systems include Fly High bags and the same Attwood pumps that Fly High offers and includes a pickup, manifold, large diameter 1 1/8 inch tubing, clamps, factory switches, professional wiring harness, fittings - everything needed to install a OEM factory level integrated ballast system with complete instructions for installation.

Wakeside.com is now offering the Elevate systems. I believe if someone already has one or more Fly High bags, Wakeside will offer a discount to buy the Elevate systems minus one or more of the normally included bags.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_boat_ballast_systems

Mike
http://www.wakeside.com
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
A shameless plug for wakeside!!!!!

But i only need 2 bags.

anybody else???
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
If the Pro-X sacs will fit, I'd go with those. They are very well made and the fittings will match your stock hoses. That is the easist way.

I have an '04 22SSV and like you, I wanted to upgrade the stock sacs. The Pro-X 750's were too long for my rear compartment and there was not a front locker sac large enough for what I wanted. I wanted the GG sac set up, but there was no way I was going to pay $750 + to get them.

Instead, I went to Boarder's Paradise and ordered custom sacs. I've been using them for about a year and I have ZERO complaints. I have 2200-2400 lbs at the flip of a switch. The custom sacs from BP are not as thick as the Pro-X or GG sacs. However, they are the same thickness as any other after market sac (Fat Boy, Launch Pad, etc).

The other negative about them is that the fittings will not match the fittings currently in your boat. The sacs from BP have the standard threaded valve that takes a waterbed adapter. There are a couple of options for plumbing these sacs into your system. You can use a waterbed adapter that will screw onto your current hose. The problem here is that these adapters tend to leak. Or, you can get a little creative and find some fittings in your local hardware store's plumbing department and rig something that will work.

That's what I did. I found some fittings that fit very snugly INSIDE the sac valve as opposed to screwing over it. I use a stainless steel hose clamp to keep it in place. The clamps is then covered with a rubber sleeve to keep it from puncturing the sac. The fitting I'm using then screws onto the hose fittings in my boat. Therefore, I still have the quick connect/disconnet feature. I have ZERO leaks with this set up.

Here's the best part..... I ordered all three sacs to the same dimensions as the GG sacs and all three sacs cost a total of $296 shipped! Like I said, these sacs may not be a thick as the GG or Pro-X sacs, but since they are safely tucked away in lockers where no one will be stepping on them, it doesn't really matter.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Richard,
Thanks for the info. I will look into that.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Yes my Pro X sacs are a little long, but they will not overflow due to the port locations on the side. The back compartment on an SSV is 42inches and the Pro X bags are 50 inches. THEY WILL WORK FINE. I have used them for a year now. The bags swap out in about 20 secs and they are CHEAP. Would do it again. Buy a new board or two for the money you save over the GG Bags.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-21-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Wakeside Design has been working closely with Elevate for over two years to develop their custom automatic ballast systems. Many of Wakeside's customers have been asking for this type of solution.

We are working on a press release and an email to our customers to announce the Elevate line.

Our goal is simply to help our customers. For the DIY'ers (do it yourselfers) we plan to carry a full line of the components to build your own. This component category is still under development:
http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_boat_ballast_fittings_hose

We see boat ballast systems as important as the wakeboard tower and tower accessories so we plan to really expand this category to make ballast systems easy for the person wanting a complete automatic system or DIY'er who wants easy access to the wiring harnesses, switches, manifolds, fittings, tubing, pumps, etc.

Stay tuned.

Mike
http://www.wakeside.com
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Mike,
If you can hook me up with a little discount code I would buy the Pro X sacs right now from Wakeside!!! I am going to get the V-Drive sacs from somebody soon.
Old     (spm)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-21-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Call Eric at Buywake and I'm sure he'll hook you up with a coupon code. BW is the best in the business.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
I dont have the boat at my house right now so I can not measure the compartments.

Does anyone have the dimentions of the rear compartments on the XLV?
Thanks