Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
My wife is wanting to make a move, and we did a survey on Findyourspot.com and alot of the places are in NC and SC. I saw that there are tons of lakes but are the freezing most of the time?

Some of the other places were in TN and VA. I would love to move to FL but my wife isn't thrilled with that area for some reason..
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-26-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Are you serious?

Even though I currently live in Texas, I grew up in NC and I can tell you that temperture should not be a problem except from November to March.

My lake in Texas right now is 93 degrees! That's too damn hot. It's like being in a bath tub.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
I live in Upstate(Clemson) SC and we ride Lake Keowee. The water is great! We have 3 wonderful lakes close by Hartwell(pleasant), Keowee(can be chilly later in the year), and Jocassee(cold). I think no matter where you choose, there will be some adjustment to the new conditions.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
Cold water? Unless you move to FL, TX, or the desert the water won't get much better. It gets cool in October and Novemeber thru March is cold. Buy you have 7 pretty decent months to ride. March if you are hard core. Taking off a few months is good to do any way.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-27-2006, 5:07 AM Reply   
We have a couple of heated lakes, Hyco & Belews. That definately will extend the season. There are 2 gatherings a year @ Hyco (Easter @ Hyco & Halloween @ Hyco) kind of a kick off to the season & end of season event. At Halloween the water temps are mid seventies for most of the lake. Last year my gauge read 98 at the discharge area for the powerplant, that feels great when the air is mid sixties!
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
We rode through October last year in Kerr and Gaston lakes in NC. Did have to get out the wetsuit for the last part of the month.

I am planning to go to the Hyco event this year to see a new lake and the heat is going to be nice i bet.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-27-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
We ride late March to early/mid November up here in PA with drysuits, I would imagine you could at least ride early March to early December down there, but I have no clue what water temps are like in the winter. Both states are pretty big and obviously the further south you go the warmer. I think if I lived in South Carolina I'd be attempting to ride all year round though.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Pretty much the same as Big E, start late March-April and ride through October. I would ride year round, but its easier to just winterize/store the boat and wait until spring.....draining the block/heater/etc after every ride is a PITA. Besides, gives me lots of time for boat mods b/c I hate doing them when I could be riding.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-27-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Sweet! Thanks, I don't know much about that part of the country. I currently live in Phoenix Arizona. Looking to move somewhere up there...Greenville SC, Charlotte, Asheville NC, Hickory NC, RTP, are some of the spots that came up to check out. I am in the IT industry so probably somewhere near RTP or a major metropolitan area.
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-27-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Hey. I live in asheville north carolina. The best lake around is lake keowee. About an hour and 20 minute drive so itsn ot to bad. The lake stays warm till early november late october. Asheville is a really nice little city. It all depends what you are into. If you are into outdoor things it would be a very nice place to live. you can live on the outskirts and its just like country and in 5 minutes you can be in downtown. Its all up to what you are looking for but i would keep asheville open.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Greenville,SC is not bad at all. Will be about 40 minutes to Lake Keowee. Will not have problems finding work in IT industry either.
UploadLate evening photo on Keowee.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-28-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
Raleigh area. there are 3 rideable lakes withing 30 minutes and you won't find better people to hang out with.
Check out this website. Alot of people from NC and VA and a few from SC are on it. http://www.endofropegang.com
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
Try riding in Ohio in March. Its freakin cold. I dont want to here how cold the water is in NC. Come to ohio then NC will be warm. Not trying to pic just saying NC water cant get that cold.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-28-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
I'm in Chattanooga, TN. This year we rode in every month. Water temps in Jan and Feb are in the mid to high 40's, depending on the weather. Boat must be protected from freezing either winterizing, heaters, or inside storage. That is true until you get pretty far south in Georgia, Alabama, or along the far south coast of South Carolina. Riding here in winter months takes a tough person and good breaks with the weather on your days off.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-28-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Junkie.....I'm a native SC resident, and what the guys above said is pretty much on.....I ride from late March through late November with only a wetsuit for the cooler weeks. The only reason I stop in Novemember is because I usually get a pretty bad cold and/or pneumonia as a result of getting wet, cold, then warm over and over. So I stop and start snowboarding, which is only a couple hours drive to our condo in the NC High Country, and skateboarding.
Overall, if you're a boarder, you'd be happy anywhere here. I live just South of Charlotte, so we frequent, Wateree, Wylie the most but I have ridden on Marion, Murray, and Keowee. We're hoping to go to that Hyco Halloween deal too.

There are a lot of "small lake" developments going up here now too. Mostly fishing lakes in the past that are now being turned into small recreation lakes. Those deals are everywhere now, so be careful what you inguire on....big water is the way most of the time.
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-28-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Junkie, I ride year round but i Live outside of Charleston, SC. December, January, and Febuary are chili, Low '50 water temp. With a good wetsuit its not to bad.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! Probably fly out soon and check out the area, see if thats where the wife really wants to move.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       08-28-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
I'm originally from the Greenville, SC area...the water is HOT compared to Spokane. This will be my second winter here and we started riding in Mar the first year, Apr the second. I've only ended 1 season here so far and that was last Oct. So to answer your question...I would ride 12 months out of the year if I lived there. The coldest water of the year there is still warmer than Apr water here!
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
Never fear cold water! I ride from April to November in Wisconsin... once the water hits 50 you can easily wear a shorty wetsuit, 58 and you can trunk it with ease! Before that, drysuit will keep you warm from 40-50 degree water.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
I rode on Hartwell last Christmas eve. The water was 50. I got some wierd stares from the fisherman all bundled up tight. But it did help the winter blues. You can ride March to November without a wetsuit. Not as good as florida but close