Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 10:16 AM Reply   
What are you guys wearing? want s/e. Not sure on the fit of jetpilot A10. Have a Oneill gooru in L. would they be close?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-01-2017, 10:19 AM Reply   
i really like the jet pilot stuff. i am using a daniel powers vest. freaking rocks.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2017, 10:30 AM Reply   
The A-10 will not float you. I'm really shocked that JP still makes it. Quite a few years ago a rider drowned after getting knocked out while wearing an A-10. Not knocking on JP though. They make many other great vests.

Many of the other comp vests still provide decent (enough) flotation.

I just got a Body Glove comp vest that I like quite a bit.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 10:37 AM Reply   
yea I'm not looking into an A10. not enough floatation. Had a JP baller I think back in the day that was the perfect mix of floatation and comfort/flexibility. found HL Webb Baller that looks good
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 10:42 AM Reply   
this one's really caught my eye. solid price too.

HL webb I'm thinking about
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-01-2017, 10:47 AM Reply   
I've never worn a vest from a wakeboard manufacturer that I actually liked. They fall apart quickly and they never fit well. Constantly roll up on falls. So I always stay away from anything made by a board manufacturer.

Jet Pilot
Follow
Body Glove
Oneill
RideEngine (A friend of mine has one and really likes it)

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-01-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 10:56 AM Reply   
that was my concern. my oneill has held up for several years, may go with another if I can't find a JP. will check out body glove too

Last edited by denverd1; 06-01-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-01-2017, 2:16 PM Reply   
I really like my Oneill Outlaw vest. Great flotation for a NCGA vest, durable and really comfortable.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2017, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I've never worn a vest from a wakeboard manufacturer that I actually liked. They fall apart quickly and they never fit well. Constantly roll up on falls. So I always stay away from anything made by a board manufacturer.

Jet Pilot
Follow
Body Glove
Oneill
RideEngine (A friend of mine has one and really likes it)
Aren't they all made by the same factories in China?
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-01-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
Man I am looking for a new vest, I have been rocking the A10 for a couple years. What are you thoughts on the Outlaw flotation?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2017, 11:29 PM Reply   
Spoiler alert! Guess I'll be the jerk and remind you fools that all it takes is ONE TIME and you're done. Only one bad wipeout where you get the wind knocked out of you bad enough. I guess it's a Darwin thing. Sorry to be the wet blanket of reality. I had a near-death experience back in the day where I almost didn't make it after a crash and burn when I was wearing a non-CGA vest plus a wetsuit. I figured the wetsuit would mitigate the outlaw vest. Before that, I thought the whole CGA thing was a racket. I was wrong. Scared the crap outa me and I threw it in the trash afterwards.

Being upside down with my board on the surface and my head six feet under with the wind knocked out of me, without a vest that forced me to the surface quickly, was something I'll never forget.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2017, 11:29 PM Reply   
Spoiler alert! Guess I'll be the jerk and remind you fools that all it takes is ONE TIME and you're done. Only one bad wipeout where you get the wind knocked out of you bad enough. I guess it's a Darwin thing. Sorry to be the wet blanket of reality. I had a near-death experience back in the day where I almost didn't make it after a crash and burn when I was wearing a non-CGA vest plus a wetsuit. I figured the wetsuit would mitigate the outlaw vest. Before that, I thought the whole CGA thing was a racket. I was wrong. Scared the crap outa me and I threw it in the trash afterwards.

Being upside down with my board on the surface and my head six feet under with the wind knocked out of me, without a vest that forced me to the surface quickly, was something I'll never forget.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2017, 11:30 PM Reply   
Sorry for the double post. It didn't go through the first time.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-02-2017, 5:15 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding is not a sport for the overly cautious, but common sense can go a long way. CGA is a Floatation/Time calculation. Unless you are wakeboarding by yourself in the middle of the ocean--floating for several hours is not a big deal. That said, non-CGA vest have no requirement to float at all. They pulled a guy wearing an A-10 vest that we sold off the bottom of a Louisiana river once... Only wear a vest that will float you. I have a Rip-Curl E-bomb that works great, but I have friends that are riding vests that are a joke and I would ride an orange brick-vest before taking a set in a vest that won't float. One fun-fact that I always like to add to the vest discussion is that all vests lose floatation over time. A vest that floated you perfectly 3 years ago may just barely float you today and that vest needs to be replaced by next year even if it appears to be in good shape. This is the time of year to check your gear.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-02-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
My Jet Pilot actually has decent flotation. But obviously not all comp vests are the same so the buyer should take that into account. Heck I know people that have unstitched their vests and removed flotation. At a certain point, makes the vest worthless.

To each their own, but I'm confident that my vest will keep my body on top of the water long enough for my crew to assist me, god forbid I can't move or I'm unconscious.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2017, 6:07 AM Reply   
I scooped a follow vest last year and its awesome. Similar fit and floatto a jet pilot non cga
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-02-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post

knew some ass hat would pop up with that. If you don't want to talk which non CGA vest you like or recommend, then troll elsewhere.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-02-2017, 8:43 AM Reply   
looking hard at JP Hellcat. anybody worn one?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2017, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
knew some ass hat would pop up with that. If you don't want to talk which non CGA vest you like or recommend, then troll elsewhere.
Lol! Trolling? Come on! Go ahead and keep risking your life then. You're invincible right?

Knock knock. Who's there?..... Darwin...

Btw, trolling would be me saying, "you drive a POS Sanger" That ain't what I did.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2017, 9:29 AM Reply   
Here, now I'll troll a bit and say if you suck so bad at wakeboarding that you have to wear an outlaw vest just to complete your moves without error, you should probably pick another sport, you lame as$. There... THAT'S trolling. Have a nice day, tard.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-02-2017, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Here, now I'll troll a bit and say if you suck so bad at wakeboarding that you have to wear an outlaw vest just to complete your moves without error, you should probably pick another sport, you lame as$. There... THAT'S trolling. Have a nice day, tard.
LOL thx. move along
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2017, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
I had a near-death experience back in the day where I almost didn't make it after a crash and burn when I was wearing a non-CGA vest plus a wetsuit. I figured the wetsuit would mitigate the outlaw vest. Before that, I thought the whole CGA thing was a racket. I was wrong. Scared the crap outa me and I threw it in the trash afterwards.

This happened to me once too. It was also the very last time I put on a non cga vest. It convinced another guy I was riding with to toss his too. He was driving for me and it pretty much gave him a heart attack. I think for a few long seconds, he didn't think he was going to get to me in time.

To each his own, but for the life of me, I can't understand a non cga vest. When I bought the one I had, I didn't understand the difference. I bought it because it was cool and I didn't fully understand that it could completely come off of me (the zipper busted on impact) and leave me with my head 6 feet under water.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2017, 8:59 PM Reply   
I think it's like Justin said... it's a calculated risk, but if you're going non-CGA you should at least get something that will provide decent floatation.

With a CGA vest there is a standard to follow, hence the "A" in CGA standing for Approved. All CGA vests will float you about the same, basically to the minimum requirement allowed by the Coast Guard to pass the certification.

With non CGA vests, they really run the gamut. I've had some that I though floated almost as well as a CGA vest. I also once bought a Jet Pilot A10 and shipped it right back after I tried it on thinking there is no way in hell this will work. You have to find something that works for you and your comfort level.

Personally, I always have one of each. I pick a non-CGA that floats me as well as it can. I'm looking for something new currently but have always liked the LF basic Comp vest. I don't even know if they make it anymore.

For CGA I have an Oneill Assault which I've found to be the most comfortable, least restrictive CGA vest. I also like the Hyperlite Hatch, but the colors have been awful the last couple years.

Anyways, I probably ride the CGA 50% and the non CGA 50%.
If I'm trying something risky where I might get knocked out or the wind knocked out of me, I'm always rocking the Oneill.
If I'm sticking to a pretty standard trick set or just working on another 180 to a spin or different grabs, I might opt for the non-CGA for comfort.

I've always kinda stuck with the mentality (right or wrong) with non-CGA vests that you have to have the trifecta of a wreck to be in real trouble.
The trifecta being...
1) Knocked out
2) Wind knocked out of you
3) Come out of your board

If any 2 of these happen (with at least a respectable floatation non-CGA vest), you should be able to get yourself to the surface or you at least won't sink.
If all three happen and your in no vest or a Jet Pilot A-10 type vest, good chance you're on the bottom of the lake.

Just my $.02 and my analysis of calculated risk...
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2017, 9:08 PM Reply   
To PLR's comment about not understanding the difference on CGA vs. non-GCA.

Another misconception that I've run across is a lot of people assume CGA means "will float you on your back with head out of the water".

There are CGA vests that do that, but not watersports vests. There are Type I, II, and III vests, I forget which way the scale goes... but wakeboard vests only promise to keep your body at the surface, they will not float you face up. Regardless of vest type, a driver and crew needs to be very aware when a rider goes down from a hard fall and be prepared to get back quick if needed and help the rider out.

I am going out tomorrow morning just me and one other guy (legal in MO). I think about this all the time... what if I get knocked out? Will my driver be able to recognize the problem, get back to me quick enough, and get me out of the water (I outweigh him by a good 80 lbs or more).

I have ran into several people that assume a CGA wake vest will float you face up - not the case.

Regardless of safety equipment, there is still some risk in this sport if you intend to make yourself a good rider.

Basic water safety course is a good idea for any riding crew. I have never done it, with any of the groups I ride with....
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-05-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
But even a vest designed to float you face up will not necessarily do so if you have a wakeboard strapped to your feet and you're already face down in the water. No vest will flip you over.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-05-2017, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
looking hard at JP Hellcat. anybody worn one?
It looks good, but I DO prefer vests with a single buckle. Helps it to not ride up.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2017, 10:51 AM Reply   
JP Hellcat! anybody?!?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2017, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
It looks good, but I DO prefer vests with a single buckle. Helps it to not ride up.
I do too. it has an athletic cut, was thinking that might keep it in place
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-05-2017, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
I do too. it has an athletic cut, was thinking that might keep it in place
yeah it definitely will
Old     (lipslide08)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-25-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
O neill gooru gets my vote. I am not going to bash the other brands but i have had durability issues to put it kindly with one particular brand and the others have held up well but are not as comfortable, not as good at absorbing impact, and dont float as well. The o neill gooru is in another league all together than all the others i have worn.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-26-2017, 1:49 PM Reply   
The Gooru is a good, I have had two and currently wear one. Its a good vest no doubt but it doesn't float as good as some others. I wore a checkmate this weekend and loved it. Super floaty and comfortable. I'm actually looking at some of the follow vest right now actually. Anyone have a follow vest?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2017, 8:17 AM Reply   
I recently found a CGA vest by BoardCo that is pretty thin in the chest. No reason to use non-CGA and risk it.

http://www.boardco.com/boardco-indy-cga-vest-special
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
Gooru is a good one, still wear one on occassion.

went with JP Hellcat. better buoyancy than gooru with similar fit. No buckles, so lumbar support will flip up on falls occasionally, but not a big deal. solid vest
Old     (lipslide08)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-27-2017, 5:15 PM Reply   
That looks like a very nice vest.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-28-2017, 7:37 PM Reply   
I got a Liquid Force F4 Watson. Floats well and has held up really well. Good support and does not ride up easily, course I surf a lot more than wakeboard