Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-04-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
Here is my dilemma - I want/need to buy an RV (Class C) or a travel trailer (bumper pull). Sometimes I think it is a no brainer, other times I talk myself out of both. I am going to be in Portland for 4+ months starting in August and am thinking about staying in one or the other (just myself). Let me get into the pro's and con's of each:

RV Pro's
I could pull the boat - huge pro if I use it enough. Our family could ride all together and move around a little - less cooped up.

RV Con's
Costs - gas, maintenance. Less out there - want a Class C because it has the upper bunk for the kids (I know I could just stick them in the couch and dining table, but it would be nice if we didn't have to continually make up those in the mornings)

Trailer Pro's
I would have my truck to move around in when we got to a campsite. Cheaper than an RV - relative (much more bang for my buck with a trailer purchase - newer, bigger). Less maintenance than an RV

Trailer Con's
Can't pull the boat (thought about going doubles with a fifth wheel but would need a CDL with doubles endorsement in California - not worth the trouble). Can't ride in it - more cooped up in the truck travels.

With either, I am not sure we would use them enough. My fear is that we would buy either and then it would sit in a storage place and rot. I thought if I get the Class C that I could pull the boat on the weekends up to the lake, but I can already accomplish that with my truck. I have three lakes less than an hour away, would I actually stay at the lakes overnight or during the whole weekend when I am so close to home? I would like to travel to California lakes, but how much would I do this and is it worth the cost? We already rent an RV/Trailer about once to twice a year to travel around - this is much cheaper than buying and storing and maintaining, not to mention insurance costs.

I guess my questions to the forum is what would you suggest - whether you own or not? Like I said, some days I think it is an easy answer, other days I think about either item sitting in a storage lot.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-04-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySki View Post
RV or Trailer or Neither?
Neither. This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEnd9F8RDA
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-04-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
I hope I don't hijack my own thread - if I was made of money...

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/w...boat-adventure
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-04-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
If you add up the cost yearly on a motor home including cost, storage, maintenance and etc.. it's probably cheaper to rent one a few times a year as you've been doing.

I'm sure at first you would be excited and use it a lot but that would probably wear off quick.

You're already questioning it so unless you have money to blow might as well just keep renting a couple times a year like you've been doing?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
I have a 42' motorhome.There is NO WAY you will ever be able to justify the cost.I just enjoy the freedom to go wherever i want and stay in my own 2nd home.It will be very expensive to insure and maintain.Renting is a excellent option if you only take 2 to 3 trips a year.
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-04-2013, 7:57 PM Reply   
We have two tow vehicles. I tow the toyhauler with the dually and my wife tows the boat with her Tahoe. We don't go real far, maybe 100 miles or so and it works for us...
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-05-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
I would say trailer, my family always go on vacation with camper and a boat, we have a hybrid travel trailer that has 3 pop out beds. The hardest part is setting up the beds which consists of dropping the bed, setting up a pole on the inside, then the beds can be as simple as some blankets and sleeping bags. These trailers are also pretty light for towing.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-05-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Definately rent first to see what works for you. Otherwise the trailer would definately be the cheapest option as long as your accompanied by a tow vehicle for the boat. TT's can be had dirt cheap compared to a comparable class C. Of course your offsetting any fuel savings over a class C by having two vehicles, and the one towing the TT won't get much better mileage than a class C either. We have a 37' DP class A and for local lakes we alsways just bring up the boat behind the P/U as it's just plain easier to deal with. Not to mention you have a gopher vehicle if camping for awhile, it's big pain to break down a rv for travel just for a gallon of milk!
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2013, 11:14 AM Reply   
My family has had RV's througout my life and into adulthood. (now 35) We have had just about every class and configuration you can think of. They now have a 40 foot diesel pusher with quad slides. My wife and I have just begun talking about buying our own RV or even a truck camper. We are stuck in between the two because we always bring the boat with us and enjoy traveling together.

We used to have a 2 slide class c rv at 32 feet I think. It was great once you arrive at your destination but traveling in it can be a problem for some. If anyone is likely to be carsick it is not possible to look forward to see the horizon from anywhere but the driver and passenger seats. Additionally, it is generally louder in the front so communication with your other passengers is difficult.

Dropping the boat after getting to our destination has not been a problem, we either ask the local marina to do it or find a friendly camper and offer some beers or cash for them to do it. I have looked into dropping with the rv and just not comfortable doing it.

Though I pay my family for depreciation and maintenance when I borrow the rv it is cerrtainly not covering all of the expenses I would be incurring. I dont know you can justify them just like you cant with a wakeboat. That said, the freedom to leave quickly with little notice, minimal set up once you are at camp and the ability for everyone to be together makes it all worthwhile.
Old     (bmcgorrin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-05-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
I just wrote a nice long detailed reply and got logged out. Here"s my short version:

I was in your shoes, decided on a Class A so we could bring the boat with us when we camp. We usuall have friends with us to help launch the boat so we don't have to use the RV

I looked at the cost of renting and figured for a two we rental I could pay a years worth of payments on the RV (bought it used at a repo auction so I got a great deal). Now I use it on at least one two week trip a year, and several shorter trips (one week, 3 and 4 day weekends). I leave all my equipment in it so all I have to do is buy groceries and maybe take a few clothes (I keep some clothes in there, along with fully stocked bathroom, non-perishable food and drinks). Turn the fridge on 24 hours before I leave, load the groceries, hitch up the boat and go. When we come back I take out the perishables, towels, sheets excetera that need washing, clean it out and bring it back to the storage lot so it is ready to go for next time.

If you rent, you have to do all this and load your stuff before you leave, then unload it, clean it and bring it back so you don't get hit with a late fee, etc.

If it come down to a Class C vs a Trailer, go with the Class C. A little more expensive to own and operate, but WAY more flexible. The first time you go camping in a trailer, after the novelty of having an RV wears off, you will miss the boat. The key is to get help from family, friends etc keeping them clean. Maintaining two toys by yourself s time consuming and NO fun.

Whatever you decide, choose wisely. It's much cheaper to buy the right RV the FIRST time, instead of having to sell/trade one in later because you bought the wrong one for your needs.
Old    kx250frider617            06-06-2013, 11:23 PM Reply   
From what I have experienced, camping and boating don't mix to well for me. We stayed at a campsite in Parker, Az. We had our friends tow our toy hauler trailer and we towed the boat. Let's just say, that week was 125 degrees and AC in trailers SUCK. So do the small bathrooms and the lack of space. Im usually exhausted after a day on the lake and a camper is not the best place to relax. But if your somewhere cooler, it may be perfect.

My fam has owned all types. Class A diesel pusher, Toy hauler, and Lance Camper. For the boat trips, the Lance camper was ideal. We had the 11'2" with a pop out on a ford dually/ diesel. It towed just like a Class C yet you still had a truck if you needed it. The space inside is surprisingly big for a in-bed camper. I would compare it to a 19' toy hauler.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
I grew up with a motor home as well.(class a) We just rented a class c over memorial day since it was to cold to tent camp with a 21 month old. I towed and launched the boat with ease. it was a 28 ft. i was actually suprised on how well it did. My wife and I are also contemplating an rv. The class C i actually like better than my parents class A since you get the extra bed over top. The one we rented was a little tight wioh another couple but if you had slide outs it would be a non issue. The ramp at the lake we went to was prolly like 100 ft wide and at the end of a dead end parking lot so I was a little worried I would not make it in and out. I had no issues maneuvering it.
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-07-2013, 9:05 PM Reply   
What size of class C do you feel comfortable towing s boat? We are contemplating a Class Zc too
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-07-2013, 9:06 PM Reply   
Class C .... Sorry
Old     (Bcloutier)      Join Date: May 2013       06-07-2013, 9:56 PM Reply   
We used to have a trailer and the boat, but it was a pain to drive the trailer out and drop it then drive back, pick up the boat and go back to the campsite. It turned a 2 hour drive into a 6-7 hour day. Not much fun.

A couple years ago we upgraded to an Eagle Cap truck camper. It's an 8' 6" model with a slide, but there is still lots of room inside for two easily. Some campers (Adventurer) have bunks if you want for the kids. The camper sits on a diesel F350 dually, and with the 9" hitch extension, the boat tows easily. I can launch the boat with the camper on no problem, get into regular parking stalls with the camper still on, or take the camper off and have a truck all day. Campers aren't the easiest to put on and off quickly, but with power jacks and wireless remotes, it's getting much easier.

I'd recommend taking a look at truck campers if you're comfortable upgrading your truck. Any camper over 9' and I'd recommend a dually for stability. We had our 8' 6" camper on a lifted single rear wheel truck and it wasn't as easy to drive. The dually is very stable. Air bags are a great addition, too.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-08-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have been looking at 31 foot class c motor homes and 32-34 foot trailers. I have a 2500 duramax so I can pull just about anything. We looked at campers but with the kids and price they just won't work for us. I can get 3x the room from a class c and 5x the room from the trailer vs. the camper. I would love it if it worked for us as it would be the easiest to move around.

I am still looking at my options. I had a guy from Craigslist screw me over a little. We were talking for two weeks about his class c because he was out of town. The day before I was supposed to go look at it, he calls and says it is still in the shop getting the step motor replaced. No problem, I wait a few days, contact him to see if I could go look at it again, he says it is getting the rear end repaired. He says after he pays for that he might just keep it or raise the price. I reply "F**k You", but without the **.
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-11-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
A large tent.