Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    kaehler            07-28-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Time for new batteries, any recomendations for a decently priced, good quality battery. I dont have aftermarket speakers or lights. There going on a Centurion cyclone. The Optima's look awsome but are way pricey
Thanks in advance
Old    bigrich            07-28-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Optima makes an awesome battery. Vibration resistance and spillproof. Well worth the extra dough in my book.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-28-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
If you are just using the battery for starting the engine just about anything would work fine. Shop around, get the best price. I have been buying my batteries from Costco.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
If you don't have any aftermarket power demands. Then I'd go with a basic ol' Marine starting battery. I'd buy that and some type of Smart Trickle Charger/Floater. You'd get 5 years out of the battery with a trickle/float charger. For that combo you'd still be far less than an Optima.

I'm not so sold on the optimas.

Blue top: 55AH @ $150 ($2.72 per Amp Hour)
Pair of Golf Cart Batts: 220AH @ $180 ($.81 per Amp Hour)

Yes, I know, Blue tops are maint free, more vibration resistance, and they don't leak. Maybe that's worth the price increase of %335 to some people?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-28-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
There are very, very few internal differences in batteries.

1. Deep cycle batteries have different plates than starting batteries.
2. Optima batteries (gel) are different than wet cell (normal batteries).
3. A few marine batteries have extra supports for the plates for vibration resistance - those are very high priced.

If you are looking for a starting battery, there is no real difference other than rating. Even then, some are identical with different ratings depending upon what label is stuck on the outside - sometimes as much as 200cca.

I use the Optima. I have been in the factories that produce the batteries and saw virtually all makes and labels on the same production line - the only difference the case and or label. The mfg engineer confirmed what I just wrote.
Old    bigrich            07-28-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Craig definetely not trying to stir anything but yes the price difference is worth it to me. What is the price tag to have a more reliable battery that wont spill acid on your big buck$ boat???
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-28-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Wallmart yellow MAX. its a marine deep cycle rv starting batt. walmart has the best return policy and I have been using them for years at about $110.00 aprox a pair I have never been let down BUT.... I do have to say IF I could afford the extra bling bling for the blue top I would just because they can be mounted in any direction in any location and they are a better batt. how much better??? who knows.
JJ
Old    ilovetrains            07-28-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
I bought an Intersate brand Marine battery a few years ago. Was around 65 bucks. Was the hybrid deep cycle/starting battery. Used it for about 3 years in my old boat, drained it dead a couple times and it charged back to full, was the best Marine battery I have owned.

That said, when the two I have now go out, I will most likely go to Optima, although I wioll wait until I can get a group buy. I run a yellow top in my Jeep's group buy was around 65 each.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-28-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Matt, I agree an interstate battery is hard to beat. This is what I run in my boat and I do have all the aftermarket accessories. I don't have any issues with them. Just remember when buying two batteries you want to get two of the same and make sure they were manufactured in the same month.
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-28-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I just purchased a Costco Marine battery with 600 CC amps for 76.00 CND, the next up is 675 CC amps for 79.00 CDN(they were out of stock on that one). They work great and have never let me down. Great return policy as well, 3 year pro-rated warranty. It's installed into a 1980 Ski Nautique with a 351 PCM, cranks and starts great.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-28-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
Karl:

Optima batteries are AGM, not gel.

You definately don't want a gel battery for this application.
Old    kaehler            07-30-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input, ended up getting Optima blue tops from Costco
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Optima is 55 amp hrs
The battery in the back ground is a Sea Volt
92 amp hrs. Its just a bit bigger and its almost twice the amp hrs
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
Rod - you are correct. Optima uses a paste technology different from gel - similar in physical properties, better in electrical properties. Sorry about the semantics.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
there are several diffrent types of batterys the 3 I know of are

#1 Traditional flooded batterys (golf cart's)
#2 Gell batterys
#3 AGM (absorbed glass matt)
#4 Spiral wound absorbed glass matt (Optimas)
same as regular AGM batterys but the AGM matt's are linded up like a 6 pack insted of them in a row like a traditional battery
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Ken- why is it important to buy them made in the same month?