Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-17-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=663082

It happened on Grand Lake in Oklahoma. Too young, and very sad. I have friends that knew both of them but I did not personally know them. Everyone stay safe this season and keep an extra eye out. You can't ever be too careful on the water.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-17-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
Pic of the boat
Attached Images

Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-17-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
So two drunk a holes killed themselves and almost others by drinking and driving in a boat. The sad part would have been if these drunks had killed someone else before they managed to kill themselves. Don't ever ask me to feel sorry for drunks who kill themselves by driving afterwards. The message here is clear. Don't get stupid drunk and drive your boat. Is that harsh enough for you? At least there wasn't anyone on that house boat that got killed because they were standing in the wrong spot.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-17-2013, 1:45 PM Reply   
Ya luckily nobody else got hit it in the process. It says alcohol "may" have been involved. I usually have alcohol on my boat, but that doesn't mean me as a driver is drinking and driving. It just happened so ill wait for some actual facts to come out before drawing any conclusions or making "harsh" assumptions. Be safe.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-17-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Just because somebody was doing something really stupid (which we dont know they were absolutely) doesnt mean it isnt sad. stay safe
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-17-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
Another article stated that the two who died were in the bow.
When they first aired it, the news said the ones un-injured jumped out of the boat before it collided with the houseboat.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-17-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Thats awful
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-18-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
Thoughts and prayers for the people and families involved. Alcohol was probably involved but i have to blame it mostly on inexperience in boating. The driver was 21.
Old    Hydrodynetahoe            05-18-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
Also by looking at the picture i can see that the boat the guys where driving was a Cobalt 200
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
Loss of life is loss of life. Whether it was an accident Or Distracted driving Or driving under the influence.
What I think is strange. Is how society Doesn't Frown If it's deemed an accident. Example The two-lane undivided highway Hwy 4 How's at least two or three fatal head-on collisions Each year Because someone accidentally Crosses Double yellow. Most of the time it some older person that can't keep control of their car and takes out some young person. Yett it's deemed an accident everything's fine! Meanwhile innocent people are dead.

Last year a local woman up here was distracted adjusting her car radio and killed a 27-year-old jogger. It was deemed an accident and it Hardly Made the news. People take out cyclists and kill them every day. It's deemed an accident and it's no big deal.

A drunken idiot takes out a person And it's it's like people or more upset. Any time someone dies Unnecessarily We should all be Equally outraged.

Here is the link to the woman that took out the jogger.

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Lo...-per-officials
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-18-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
she is 23 and is now responsible for atleast 2 deaths and 2 different occasions of killing someone while distracted. sad. we really do give much less thought to an "accident"
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-19-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
she is 23 and is now responsible for atleast 2 deaths and 2 different occasions of killing someone while distracted. sad. we really do give much less thought to an "accident"
From what i read on a different article, she wasnt driving. Another guy was that was 21. She was just part of the crew.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-19-2013, 10:26 AM Reply   
That's what I have read. The two that were killed were sitting in the bow. I also read where at least one person jumped from the boat before the accident.

I was out on the water yesterday and came across plenty of inexperienced (some maybe just rusty from the off season) boaters at the ramp. Whether these folks are just learning, a little rusty, etc, its still up to me to keep an extra eye out and make sure everyone on my boat is out of harms way. One guy was just sitting sideways in his Fountain blocking 2 launch lanes for about 5 minutes..I finally had to yell over the annoying sound of his exhaust to tell him to move. And all he needed to do was drop someone off at the dock. Keep your eyes peeled out there..
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-19-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?stor...0&catId=112042
Here's a few of the 911 tapes.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-20-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
Sorry Jay, but while the guy driving the Fountain at your ramp may have been a Wally, the sound coming from his exhaust was music to many, including me. Just saying! ;-)
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-20-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
Oh I love the rumble of a mean exhaust just as much as the next guy, but...

After waiting in line for 20 minutes, waiting on one guy who launched his boat without starting it, couldn't start it, and paddled to the dock blocking my way, and after he finally moved, the guy in the Fountain pulled up and just sat there...blocking my way...and blocking several other people, yes, it was annoying. I had to yell at the top of my lungs and wave my arms around before I finally got his attention. He could have been in a G25 offering free pulls and I still would have been annoyed, just a little bit less. A Wally for sure.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-20-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
That happened in Duck Creek. That part of the lake is notorious... I have heard the spot right there in front of Arrowhead between Arrowhead and Cherokee yacht clubs referred to as "The Kill Zone"

There have been lots of high-speed crashes and accidents there over the years.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-20-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
Phil,
Is this not located in a no wake zone? Seeing the marina with docked houseboats and knowing that it is in front of Arrowhead, just made me assume that this area is no wake only. Apparently, someone who witnessed the accident said there may have been another boat involved and that the two boats were racing each other...
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-20-2013, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayManAR View Post
Phil,
Is this not located in a no wake zone? Seeing the marina with docked houseboats and knowing that it is in front of Arrowhead, just made me assume that this area is no wake only. Apparently, someone who witnessed the accident said there may have been another boat involved and that the two boats were racing each other...
There are buoys to separate north bound and south-bound traffic, but no, it is not a full-width no-wake zone, not that I am aware of. I seem to recall outside of the north and south-bound lanes that there are also narrrow bands of no-wake zones closer to shore on both sides, but in the middle it is definitely not restricted. There seems to be a courteous speed that is routinely followed in there, but I have also seen some boats flying by there at ridiculous rates of speed.

I say ridiculous with a grain of salt. I have been a go-fast guy, even while at the same time being a sailboat sailor. There is a safe way to go fast... I am not sure that Duck Creek is the place to do it though.... I consider Duck Creek narow enough to not have many "outs" when at speed. Any time I have ever been close to 60 or beyond, I was also constantly planning 3 or 4 different scenarios to safely avoid having two boats sharing the same space. I have not been on that part of Grand very much, but if I was wanting to go fast, I would pick a different place.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-23-2013, 3:25 AM Reply   
Here is an update on the story. The driver has 10 beers, a tequila shot, and took an anti-depressant.

http://www.newson6.com/story/2239934...-the-influence
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-23-2013, 6:44 AM Reply   
I have been guilty in the past for having some beers on the water, much more so in college. That is a hell of a lot of booze and drugs to be driving.