Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-03-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
If you were to buy a complete liquid force setup for an intermediate rider what board and binding combo would you go with? 2009 stuff
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       06-03-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
If your thinking some boards are too good for an intermediate rider, then I would say your wrong. It seems to me that even beginners can ride pro-level boards with no problem. I think they make them this way on purpose. So you could get any board you want. I like the Shane. However, if your looking for an intermediate board for price savings reasons, then I would go with the substance with transits.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
shane board w/ shane limited edition bindings
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
lyman with the shanes are pretty dope
Old    dperizzolo            06-03-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
The PS3 is a really user friendly board
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
the watson is also pretty tight. pretty much anything you buy youll be fine on. whats your ridng style though? what do you like in a board?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
David, thats the difference between pro boards and intermdiate boards.
Pro boards are for a specific riding style while intermediate boards are designed for someone that is still trying to find or develope their riding style and preference.

Jason, the Trip or PS3 packages are great
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-03-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Trip for sure!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
true mitch, i started on an intermediate board, but it was even looser then my lyman, so i just got used to that feeling, which is one reason i wanted the lyman. i wasnt sure if jason knew what he liked or not yet, and i havnt ridden the ps3, but im not a big fan of the trip. TONS of people love it, but its not for me
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-03-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
Benny G's board is pretty forgiving from what I've noticed.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
I'm with AMO, the witness is awesome!
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
I just recently went from a 05 LF team board to the new Benny G (Witness) board and I love it, it was an easy transition from one board to the other. I rock transits and really like them, but thinking about switching to closed toe. The Lyman is really fun also
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 4:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses. I actually don't know exactly what I want in a board yet. I am a sponsored snowboarder, but just started to wakeboard last year. I have maybe 10 sets under my belt on some junk piece I borrowed from a friend that he purchased at dicks. I can get up easily and carve around but jumping is proving to be a little challenging.

Anyway, through my snowboard sponsorship I am getting a very good deal through LF. I just dont want to get something I am going to progress through very quick.
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-04-2009, 5:08 AM Reply   
I ride the trip and I love it.

Benny G is my favorite rider, but the Witness over the last couple years has had some pretty bad art in my opinion. So after a lot of research and review i went with the trip that was a little more appealing to the eyes
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
Well I think I have made up my mind. I think I am going to go with the Watson 142 and the transit boot. Any thoughts
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-04-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Well, I love my Watson board indiscriminately, so good choice there. I don't know much about the transit binding though.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-04-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
You'd be better off with the Trip at this point. Much more forgiving than a big three stage board like the Watson or Lyman. I love the Trip as well. Change out the stock center fin for the smallest one LF has, or ride it finless and it's a great ride.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
if your going to get the watson, its really hard to do surface tricks on. its an amazing board without the center fin. and its got GREAT pop
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
David, surface tricks as in?? and what makes them hard on this board
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
when i say surface tricks, i mean stuff like boat slides, lipslides, surface 180's and surface 360's
the watson has 3 fins on each end. one in the center which is removable and 2 on the outside that are molded in. the molded in fins are about an inch deep and probably a foot long? give or take a little, and the center fin is pretty deep as well. the benefit of the molded in fins being that long, is you can cut really really hard. ive n ever ridden a board that cuts harder then the watson. which helps going W2W it makes it easier to cut all the way through the wake. but if you dont pay attention your going to cut way harder then you plan to. my dad rides the watson, and he used to ride with the center fin in, and the thing was really hard to board and lip slide, he took the the fin out. and without the center fin the board is amazing. its easy to slide, but stays locked into the water during a cut and while landing, and it has tons of pop. i get way more pop with it then i do with my lyman. going w2w on it the landings arnt harsh at all. but taking it into the flats doesnt feel to good on this board.
but if you do buy this board, id ride it with the fin, then try it without. you will most likely hate it for about 2 minutes without the fin, then you will fall in love with it. that was the case for me.
its a great board, its supper fun to ride, you really cant go wrong with it. just with the fin. its a killer
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Yea I was planning on not even starting with the fin. The piece of junk I used last year had a fin and then I removed it and it was like sliding on glass but there was no molded fins so nothing to grab with.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
so you rode your old board with nothing at all? completely flat on the bottom? thats nuts. haha
if you like a really loose board you might like the lyman as well.
can you clear the wake?
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Nope cant w2w. not sure that I really like a loose board I was just experimenting. My first day I tried and tried to get up, when I couldnt I gave up and we headed back to the dock. when we we got there some guys were putting a malibu in, so I asked them what the "secret" to getting up was. Well they took me under their wing for a little bit and let me use one of thier boards. I think it was a ronix but I remembered it didnt have the center fin but it had molded fins on the side. That gave me the idea to remove them from the junk board not realizing it didnt have molded fins. But thier board felt really comfortable. I know I have alot of work to do with bringing the rope to my waist and things like that to w2w and it is def not all board haha
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
o okay, i get what your saying. w2w is alot of the rider, but im not going to lie, its alot easier on some boards then others. since you dont really know what you like yet, if you want to go straight to a pro model i would recomend the watson, because pretty much anyone can ride the watson, and the lyman is either a love it or hate it board, also, how much do you weigh? if you weigh anything under 180, i wouldnt recomend the 142
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Nope I am a big guy 220 but loosing weight, i am hoping to be around 190-200 soon. I stand 6'5"
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
o okay, i would go with the 142 then, i weigh 190 ish. and the 142 doest feel awkward at all. but my friend weighs like 175, and he hates the 142. he says it feels huge and bulky. but from what you have told me, i would defiantly recommend the Watson. you will love it. also, have you tried on any bindings? i would go to a pro shop and just try on a bunch, and find some that feel comfortable.
i think the shanes are the most comfortable bindings ever, my dad is about the same size as you, and he cant wear them, they hurt his feet. i know a few people (including him) that love the alpha bindings, it cant hurt trying a few pairs on
Old     (liv2board)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Ok thanks for all your help I will be updating my status this year. I am definatly addicted now as much as snowboarding (if only I was as good at wake as I am snow)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
no problem. im glad i could help. alot of the guys on wake world are pretty tight, always here to help.
and ive never snowboarded, but ive heard from people that ride snow and wake, that wake is alot more fun.
Old     (jacob23)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-11-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
thats so true. i do alot more snowboarding than i do wakeboarding but i could have a pick to only be able to do one it would be wakeboarding. oh and the watson board has way too much traction
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
jacob, its because the watson you rode was to big for you.
Old     (jacob23)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-11-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
oh ya thats true
Old    thebiggmann            06-11-2009, 11:00 PM Reply   
I'm really a fan of my Lyman. Great board and I feel like I'm really progressing on it. I would LOVE to ride a Watson though for comparison sake, too bad no one around me has one and no shops demo. I absolutely love my shanes tho. The only other bindings I think I would try would be some vantages. They're '07s tho, so don't know how much has changed in '09. I don't think a lot changed from '07 to '08 tho if you were interested in '08s. Overall i'm very happy with the setup, guess i'm one of the "love it" guys.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-12-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
I bought the PS3 for my first board and love it. I think it is very friendly and forgiving. Has anyone tried riding the PS3 without the middle fin???
Old     (skelley19)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-12-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
The PS3 tracks great without the middle fin. I actually never even tried putting the fins on because I like a looser board that releases quickly off the wake. I don't know what level you ride at but you should definitely take the fins off and give it a try. If you are still learning the basics then it might feel a little squirrely at first but it will make you learn to edge correctly and you will be much better off in the long run.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
SLINGSHOT!!!

sorry, had to do it.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-13-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
The witness is great for beginners to pros imo.
Cuts hard & fast if ya want it to but will still butter slide very easily for learning 180s n stuff.
If you have the money start on a pro model board,beginner boards are usually just old pro model boards selling at a cheaper price to entice newbies to buy there first board.