Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-02-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=hill/100202

interesting article regarding the commercial that is going to run during the SB on sunday. agree with the man or not, you gotta love someone who actually does practice what he preaches. Perhaps Kurt Warner is going to be staying in the NFL, only with a different name now.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-02-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
Good for him...

That is a pretty hefty price tag for them to pay to get that 30 seconds.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-03-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utcxpuHF7jg

Tebow's mom had and made a choice - here's hoping another generation of women continue to have that right.
Old    bigdtx            02-03-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
I guess that's one way for him to end his football career. I guess he'll be another one of these jesus freaks running for congress in a couple of years.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
The other way he can ruin his carer is to suck in front of the NFL scouts. Wait, he did that already.

He and the 2009 Gator program were ridiculously over-hyped.

About his commercial.. I'm all for being passionate about your beliefs but don't try to pressure me into them.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
does he cry in it?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
"I'm all for being passionate about your beliefs but don't try to pressure me into them."

I say that about McDonalds all the time, but that does not stop them from running commercials all day long. gimme a break. that is what commercials are for.

I dont think he was destined to be a great QB in the NFL, but at least he has the stones to say what he believes on national tv. I am not even religious and I wish more pro athletes acted like this guy.
Old    deltahoosier            02-03-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
Because someone makes a commercial about his mother not killing him, he has ruined his football career? Sounds pretty hateful if you ask me. That's right, it is only pro-choice if you decided to be pressured into killing your kid so the male doesn't have to pay. Oh well. Here is to another 52 million kids killed.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-03-2010, 11:58 PM Reply   
Never really thought of it that way Delta...why are you guys so hateful of people who want to KEEP their kids? Drew Brees was no prize before playing with the Saints, hell, he was even told he was unfit to play for the Dolphins, but look what he has aspired to? Ryan Leaf...biggest hype (and waste of time) for a quarterback....no tearing him up here. So why all the hatred and bad wishes for Tim Tebow? because he believes in something you dont? All you peaceniks dont complain about F18's flying over Stadiums before big games, or advertising Lockheed Martin, Drug companies...etc. Sonds pretty hypocritic to me.
Old    bigdtx            02-04-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
I didn't say it would ruin his football career. I'm saying he has no future in the NFL - except maybe at tight end. He's doing the commercial now because he's still mildly relevant, next year this time he will be long forgotten.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Dont count on it.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-05-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
Wickedwakes...In 2004, playing for the Chargers, Brees finished the season with a passer rating of 104.8, named NFL's Comeback Player of the Year, and selected to the ProBowl. The only time he had a passer rating that high for the Saints was this season (109.6).

Brees was selected as the Number 2 QB in the 2001 Draft, with Vick being the only QB selected before him. He was projected as a first-rounder, but slipped into the second round.

Tebow, by almost every analyst, is a third rounder, at best, with most anticipating a fourth or fifth round selection, considering his poor performance at the Senior Bowl. Can he improve, of course, with an exceptional performance at the combine. But I don't think it is fitting to compare him to Drew Brees just yet.

Tebow's mechanics are the issue of concern. Dropping back, the ball is held below his waist, screaming to be knocked out by blitzing defenders. He is also not comfortable taking snaps from under center, hence the poor performance in the Senior Bowl. This was also a concern with Vince Young, but VY is not a pocket passer, and does most damage rolling out. Tebow will not be as much a concern in the NFL as his speed is nowhere near VY. Speed also dimisses the idea of using Tebow in a wildcat formation.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Don't count on low draft ranking as being a sign of him failing in the NFL. If I remember correctly, Tom Brady was taken in the last round of the draft. We all know how he turned out...
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
6th round. Brady is the man!
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-06-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
See posts below mine Jeremy. 'Nuff said.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-06-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, but count the number of late round drafted QBs and research where they are. For every one still on a roster, you'll find 20 pursuing other ventures. Again, a fair comparison is Brady to Henne, traditional pocket passers.

'Nuff said, and don't get butt hurt over Tebow criticism.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-06-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Say what you want about Tebow, but that guy is a competitor and a winner. He may not play at QB, but he is a good enough athlete to will his way into playing any position if he wanted to.

As far as the commercial i think its great. He has a great story and is telling it. You may not believe the same way he does but how can you be against someone that stands for good strong morals and helps to better society. Would you rather him be acting like a thug and being a negative influence on society. It is crazy when someone in the spotlight everyone wants to find something wrong with them instead of building them up. If you do any research on this this guy, his team has so much respect for him that they actually protect him from temptation (weather they are relegious or not). That in itself says alot.

As far as him crying. The guy is very passionate about football. If you have ever poured your heart and soul into something it is hard not to wear your heart on your sleeve.

All this being said, I am an Alabama fan. Much respect for this guy in football and the way he lives his life.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I wonder if Tebow's thoughts as he was crying were "man I hope joe umali doesn't see this and make fun of me on wakeworld"
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2010, 11:36 PM Reply   
He's a great athlete, but I got tired of hearing about him long ago. When I can't even watch a MWC game without hearing about him for a while, it's gone to far. Hope he does well in life, but the NFL is not a place for him.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-07-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
thanks for getting the point of the thread jdub!
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-07-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Atleast he didnt shoot himself in the leg or start a dog-fighting ring.

Im not for or against his commercial. I say whatever.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-07-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Just saw it. it's not in your face at all. Although I think he is a massive toolshed, the commercial was done very well.
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-07-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
it was a good commercial just more people making a big deal about nothing.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-07-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
It wasn't in your face at all. I thought it was terribly corny though.