Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-11-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
I am looking to add some speakers to my tower. Without spending a lot of money, I would like to get the best set-up I can.

I found some Polk Audio speakers with double cans on E-bay. I found both the DB651 and MM651 series speakers.

Any recommendations or warnings on these speakers? I have read some posts were people say they aren't loud enough when boarding and others say they are great??

I will also need an amp. Any recommendations here? I am not sure how the double can speakers connect - if there is just one connection for both speakers or two?? So I don't know how to spec out the amp.

I will eventually add a sub and would like to run the boat speakers through an amp as well. Am I better off to get more than 1 amp?

Thanks
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I have heard people say the db651's sound good as in boat speakers but don't work well on the tower. Not sure from experience though.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-12-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
brett is correct... I have db651's in my boat and they sound great.

I also have them on the tower and pushing more then the recommended power to each one. If you want to hear them riding, you would be better off going with something else. The MM series may be louder.

There are many ways to set up the amps... I have three, one for the sub, one for the tower and one for the cabin speakers. This was easiest for me.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-12-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
FJK,

Whether your pods have single or independent connectors, you’ll have four total conductors run up the tower and two channels of amplification running the four tower speakers.

We use a ton of Polk DB651s. They’re brighter and more efficient than the Polk MM series (used frequently also) which are a little smoother, warmer, handle more power but take more power to run. This makes the DB series a better fit for tower speakers while the MM series are really an upgrade ‘in’ the boat. The Polk DBs are great used in multiples if you want quality sound when you’re at rest or beached and without the competing engine noise and wind. And, they’re decent for the rider. But, one pair of proaxial-type tower speakers (WetSounds PRO 80s or Bullet 770 HollowPoints for example) will clearly project better at 80 feet when competing against exhaust and wind. The only qualification would be that proaxials are properly powered. So you will invest a little more in both the speakers and amplification.

Your amplifier choices should be dictated by your final choice of tower speakers and subwoofer. A JL Audio G4500 would be a good place to start to drive two pair of Polk DBs on the tower and a single 4-ohm and relatively efficient sub. There are bigger and better amplifiers but this gives you balance and value. And, if you opted for proaxial tower speakers you would select a more powerful amplifier.

Hope this helps.

David E.M.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice.

I like the price on the DB651's and they seem to have great reviews but I am concerned that they aren't the best tower speaker - hearing them can be tough.

We have a very quiet boat and are only using about 70 foot of rope, is this enough to make a difference?

What would be a better (but reasonably priced speaker) to put on the tower?

I was thinking if I got the DB651's (or the MM651's) and they weren't enough for a tower speaker I could (eventually) use these in the boat in place of the stock speakers. Then upgrade the tower speakers to something better but I don't know if I can use the same cans? Does this make sense? Could I do this?

Thanks!!
Old    murphy8166            11-12-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
What about putting some of the wetsounds XS 650's in the tower cans. IMO they sound much more robust than the Polk's and they are built solid. This would not be a pro audio but I think it would be the nest bang for your buck in what you are trying to accomplish.

You would be looking at about $200 for a pair of speakers.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
That is a good idea.

If I am not happy with the DB651's them I could move them in the boat and pick up 2 sets of XS 650's for the cans.

How would (4) XS 650's compare to (2) Pro 60's on the tower? ( I really don't want to spend the money on Pro 60's)

Would the XS 650's mount in the cans the same as the DB651's?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-12-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Call Shane at Signature Motor Design in the Seattle area. I think he has pro-60's for sale. His website is sigmodes.com
Old    murphy8166            11-12-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
I have Pro 60's on my tower with a set of MB8's (wetsounds double up setup) and XS 650's in the boat. The Pro 60's, properly powered, will blow away the XS 650's. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

If you can afford pro audio such as the Pro 60's or 80's then you should go that route.

If you don't want to spend the money on pro audio, then give the XS650's a try.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
If you want good sound at low cost... what is so wrong with a pair of Evid Pro Audio with an Alpine Expert Series Amp... all for $300 + shipping.

I know someone who has this to sell!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-12-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Another option would be the Kicker KTM6 tower speakers and ZX450.2 amp. Great sounding setup, best bang for the buck, and can be heard at the end of the line.

Bazooka offers a 6.5" and 8" compression horn tower speaker setups. I personally have not heard them, but thinking about ordering a set to demo.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-12-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
i was just waiting for someone to mention ktm6s they have my vote
http://www.cartronixplus.com/templates/detailnf_price.cfm?zq=91307245&uas=N&globaldesc=na &rnumb=1479&wherefrom=SEARCH&whichord=770754&depar tment=ALL&class=N&special=R&sold=N&nextrow=Kicker% 20Marine%20KMT6kmt6&prevrow=Kicker%20Marine%20KMT6 kmt6&nextprev=0&subclass=ALL&subname=na&pagename=O nline%20Store%20%3E%20%20ALL%20%3E

good thread about them
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/603182.html?1218334093
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Well my bid on E-bay won me the DB651 double can tower speakers so I guess my speaker quest is temporarily over. Now I need to focus on the amp and maybe a sub.

First a couple of rookie questions:

1) Is there a way to control the in-boat speaker volume separately from the tower speakers? If I need to blast the tower speakers so the rider can hear it, I don't want to get a headache while driving the boat. But if we are floating and hanging out I would like the volume to control everything together.

2) I am not planning on changing the stock receiver right now. It is an older Clarion unit but it has a set of RCA inputs. I assume these are for adding a CD player?? I have tried to connect an IPod to it but haven't got it to work. We are using a converter that goes into the tape deck now to hook it up. Is there some way to connect the Ipod directly into the amp or a better way to do this? What am I doing wrong that I can't use the aux inputs on the deck (I am switching to aux)

I would like to run the in-boat speakers, the tower speakers and a sub all through an amp (or amps). What would be a good choice for an amp(s)? What about a sub?

David E.M. recommended the JL Audio 4500 amp, any others?

Thanks