Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
Hey guys.. I am looking for some help with my HS w2w jumps.

I've been wakeboarding for a couple of months now and I still cannot clear the second wake. I've seen the critique you've give other riders and I am looking for the same. I try to keep my edge up to the wake but sometimes I chicken out. Any help is appreciated!

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4EkfyTwnQ
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Ok a few things you can fix. First off you need to understand what a progressive edge is. You progressively start edging harder until you are edging your hardest at the top of the wake. You also need to make your edge a little bit harder. And the last and most important thing is standing tall at the wake. In the video you are absorbing the wake with your knees by bending them when u get to the wake.

You want to edge in with your knees bent and then stand tall at the very top of the wake.
Do all of that while maintaining your progressive edge through the wake
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Pottsy.

I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
love the last 5 seconds!!

id say from that vid you should really just work on your edging/balance/comfort. u could easily clear that wake if u just straightend your legs at the wake and didnt absorb it, like pottsy said. but the point is to develop a solid base to learn more/have more fun. buy the 1st and 2nd disk of "The Book". the "2 minute drill" it teaches will do wonders for your riding.

you just don't look comfortable out there. carve hard on both sides of the wake. edge in hard just to cross the wake, absorb it, dont try to jump. progressive edge is key. you need to find it and learn to do it without thinking about it.

start with a slight lean/edge and progressively lean back on the line more and more, digging more of your board into the water. this will put intense pressure on the line and when u hit the top of the wake it will send u into the air, as long as u dont take all the pressure away by bending your knees.

so carve around alot, have fun with that. get comfortable. turn that into a progressive edge towards BOTH SIDES of the wake, then learn to "pop" (straighten your legs/body) at the top of the wake and you'll be landing in the flats in just a couple of sessions.

HAVE FUN MAN!
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Thanks charman!

I ordered "The Book" box set. I am waiting for it to arrive. You're right -- I do need to get more comfortable out there. I will try carving around hard as you suggested.