Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    mendo247            04-15-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
well another rainy day in norcal.. walt called me up this morning and wanted to melt down some lead tire weights he picked up... he had about 2 5 gal buckets full.. i added some that i had laying around and he ended up with 2 55 pound sbc valve cover size bricks, 3 45 pound bread pan size bricks and 2 30 pound bread pan size bricks.. for a total of just over 300 pounds... nick was nice enough to leave his supplies at my house.. we used an old pot, metal spoon with holes in it and an old camp stove... i definetly wouldnt recomend this unless your doing it with someone who has some experience! this can be very dangerous if handled incorectly!!! ive done this quite a few times and have done lots of research..

metling weights
Upload
Upload
scoping steel clips and other impurities that float to the surface
Upload
clean lead(liquid chrome) lol
Upload
time to pour
Upload
Upload
the final product
Upload
next ill take them to work and coat them with a bedliner material...
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-15-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
How long did it take to melt each batch down?
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-15-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Man that melted lead looks sweet pouring into your casts. How long does it take to cool? Is it easy to pop out?

(Message edited by depoint50ae on April 15, 2006)
Old    mendo247            04-15-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
aprox a half hour per brick, it hardens really fast but stays hot for a very long time, once it cools a bit it pops right put..
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-15-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Who took the pictures? LOL
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-15-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
hey richard
you think if i can get some lead you could melt it down for me? i really need to get some weight
Old    mendo247            04-15-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
walt was taking photos, no sweat johnny just let me know...
Old    walt            04-15-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Your the man Richard ! Thanks for killing your Saturday for Me.

I have plans for you next weekend too (tower install) if it's not raining.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-16-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
Walt,
Have you posted pics of your new boat? I must have missed it. What did you get?
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-16-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I used reclaimed shot from the Rod and gun club.
They mine the fields and sell it really cheap.
Used my side burner on my outside Bar B Q grill.
Heated up real fast.
Poured the beebees into a brownie pan. heated it up and turned it off.
No pouring, no smelling fumes, no filtering out bad S%$#@.
Later Jim
Old    bocephus            04-16-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
I had a shop teacher in high school pour hot lead down the side of his jeans and into his shoe on accident. He ended up losing three toes to third degree burns.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-16-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hey Richard,

You mentioned that you will coat them with bedliner material. I have several bricks similar to yours and would also like to cover them somehow.

Can you please explain how you go about this? Are they totally sealed afterwards? Many thanks for the info.

Cheers
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-16-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
What kind of respirator inserts are you using there?
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Holy crap!!...I hope you aren't giving ideas to some teenagers on this board!! I understand that you did your homework, but I think you need to put a big disclaimer on your post.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME UNLESS YOU TRULY KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING!!!

For those that don't know, fumes from melting lead will mess you up! You can never get lead out of your body...ever. Major risk of liver and kidney malfunction, as well as a host of other medical problems as you age.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-16-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Druffel, I think he covered that in his initial post.
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
Yes, it was the seventh sentence of the post. By the time a lot of people read that far they've already skipped ahead to the cool pictures of molten lead.

My point is be careful what ideas you may be putting into peoples' heads, without giving plenty of warning of the dangers involved.

Old    mendo247            04-16-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
"i definetly wouldnt recomend this unless your doing it with someone who has some experience! this can be very dangerous if done incorrectly"

maybe i should have highlighted it in my first post.. IM VERY SORRY...it was not my goal for some teenager to run out and try this! 99.99 percent of the fumes that come off the pot are dirt and grime found on the tire weights.. the lower the temp you keep the lead the less chance of vaporization..hence the use of a camp stove..i fully understand the risk.. ..here is some info ive found..

High levels of lead in the body have been associated with serious health problems. There is disagreement within the scientific community about at what level exposure to lead is hazardous, but there is no disagreement that high levels of lead absorbed into the body is harmful. Lead poisoning is an accumulative effect caused by taking in more lead into the body than it can expel. Most adult exposure to lead has been through airborne emissions from auto fuel, through lead glazed china ware, and through drinking water carried through leaded pipes. Steps have been taken to reduce exposure through these means. The hobbyist tackle maker has minor exposure to lead hazards, but care must be exercised when working with lead just the same. Be sure to melt lead only in a well-ventilated area. Molten lead in minute amounts can vaporize and could be inhaled and in turn absorbed into the body. Air movement that is sufficient to carry away the smoke from an extinguished match is considered adequate ventilation. Run an exhaust fan or open a window to vent lead vapors to the outside. Wash hands after handling lead and raw lead products and before eating or smoking. Lead could be absorbed into the body through food handled with unwashed hands. Always observe these simple precautions when handling or melting lead. PERSPECTIVE: Several industrial hygiene tests have been performed to determine how melting and molding lead in sinker and bullet casting rated with the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) permissible exposure levels for lead in the workplace. The results were well within the permissible OSHA standards, in fact the presence of airborne lead could not be detected in these tests. Conditions can and do vary. The risks associated with molding lead objects is left for you to determine. We make no warranty or other representations with respect to your safety in doing so.

(Message edited by mendo247 on April 16, 2006)
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
Richard, sorry for coming across like a father wagging his finger. I hate sounding like that!!

Like I said, I could just see some kid getting his hands on some lead and going into his mom's kitchen to do some lead melting...crap I'm starting to refer to people as "kids"...I'm getting old!

And by the way, nice job with the lead-work.

(Message edited by dedicatedwse on April 16, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-16-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
So...Before Druffel freaked out I had asked a question I was interested in knowing an answer to..

What inserts are in your respirator?

I already know about the temperature details when it comes to melting lead. What I'm wondering is, if that's simply a dust mask... then why bother wearing one at all?

One the other hand, since you've done extensive research, you can inform us what the appropriate respirator insert is to minimize potential exposure to the lead fumes? I would assume it's a carbon filter, but I do not know.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-16-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
hi-jack on...

I have some 60lb lead bricks that I used in my old boat that I no longer use (about 6). If anybody wants to trade some bags of lead/steel shot let me know. I just need a couple bags of shot to balance the boat side to side that are a little more toe friendly than the bricks.

Mike
mikeskiw@gmail.com

hi-jack off...
Old    walt            04-16-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Rod,

I bought a 2000 Sanger V210 but I havn't posted any pics yet. I'll try to post a few when I get the tower on and it's in the water.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-16-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Walt.
No pictures from you is a bit odd. I was thinking I missed something. Congratulations on the new ride.
Old    mendo247            04-16-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
druffel no sweat man! i dont see it much different than the thread with the guy doing a wake jump over another boat.. just because i saw him do it doesnt mean im gonna try it..

Craig- that is a 3m carbon filter behind a pre-filter, i definetly wouldnt say ive done extensive research on this, but i have done enough to feel comfortable doing it... we were doing this in a carport with a pretty good fan pushing the smoke out... i usually prefer to do it out in the open air but it was misty out(molten lead + h20= boom)..its definetly not for everyone i just thought there might be a few people who would like to see how its done...

Paul- ill post some pics and list materials when i decide exactly what type of coating to put on the this time.. last time i used a product from the WURTH company.. a sprayable rocker schutz(kinda like undercoating) its held up fairly well but will chip if hit.. id like to find something a little more durable which shouldnt be hard.. ill let you know..
Old    bocephus            04-16-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
I hate to tell you all but if you kid or any kid is reading this on anything but on a sheet of paper you have way more to worry about than someone posting molten lead. Everything from the recipe for Ricen Gas, to building a bomb is available here on the internet. You shouldn't have to post a disclaimer with everything that you post... but if you all feel it's necessary feel free to steal mine.

Internet Disclaimer
NOTICE: Although the information and recommendations at this Internet Web site (hereinafter "Information") are presented in good faith and believed to be correct, The Dumbass Who Posted It makes no representations or warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of Information.

Information is supplied upon the condition that the persons receiving same will make their own determination as to its suitability for their purposes prior to use. In no event will Dumbass Who Posted It be responsible for damages of any nature whatsoever resulting from the use of or reliance upon Information or the product to which Information refers.

Nothing contained herein is to be construed as a recommendation to use any product, process, equipment or formulation in conflict with any patent, and The Dumbass Who Posted It makes no representation or warranty, express or implied, that the use thereof will not infringe any patent.

NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR OF ANY OTHER NATURE ARE MADE HEREUNDER WITH RESPECT TO INFORMATION OR THE PRODUCT TO WHICH INFORMATION REFERS.

The Dumbass Who Posted It makes no commitment to update or correct any information that appears on the Internet or on this World-Wide Web server.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
Hey Richard good thread. Bocephus said it perfectly! As parents our kids shouldn't be playing on line without us looking over there shoulder to see what there are reading!