Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-01-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
I am planning my stereo install to begin in a couple weeks.

The only thing I am undecided on is what subwoofer to use and need some expert advice please.

what I know is:
planning on building a sealed box under the helm for a 12" Sub
power will be from a Syn 2 bridged 700W @ 4 Ohms.
dont really have a budget looking more for value, efficiency, and a good match for the Syn-2

ideas?

Thanks
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-01-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
I'd just pair that amp us with the Wet Sounds XS-12 sub. It will pound pretty hard.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-01-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
first you need to determine what volume of box the space can accomodate

If you only have 1 cubic foot or less you will be stuck with a sealed box configuration

If you have space for 1.5 to 3 cubic feet you will probably be better off with a ported box

Once you know your volume limitations you can start shopping for subs. The XS-12 does quite well in a 1 cubic foot sealed box. I also like the Alpine type R sub for very small boxes, I had one in a 0.8 cubic foot box that did pretty well. I am currently running a Boston SPG 555 in a 1.5 cubic slot ported box designed at the midpoint between the SQ and SPL parameters on the Boston spec sheet. I am quite happy with the result from a sound standpoint. I am pushing mine with about 1000 watts and have the power to cook the voice coil to the point it starts stinking up the boat. I have not fried the VC on the sub yet but I have a spare ready to go when I do. The Syn 2 would be a good amount of power to the Boston sub. Keep efficiency in mind. If you can find an efficient sub like the Boston or XS12 you will conserve your batteries and charging systems making your life easier. If you choose a hog like a JLW7 it is an endless spiral of upgrades trying to satisfy the appetite of that power hungry sub.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
I 100% agree with Mikeski. He actually gave you an explanation as opposed to saying "oh get this, it's what I have"

Look for subs with an SPL/Sens rating around 90. This rating amongst other factors gives you an idea of how loud your sub will get on X amount of power. For example, you can give 500w to an efficient sub and it could be louder than giving 1000w to an inefficient sub.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
And as for recommendations on Subs, I like Sundown. An Sundown SA-12 can be had for $200 and will give you a lot of SPL with good SQ. They're underated at 600w RMS, but do great on 1000w daily
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-02-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
Be careful with subwoofer sensitivity ratings. First of all they are unqualified as to the frequency. So the one watt/one meter rating could be a peak dB level at a frequency that is well out of the sub's usable bandwidth and oftentimes is.
Without fail a higher sensitivity subwoofer will not be as effective in deep bass extension in a small sealed enclosure. In no way is "sensitivity" a representation of the actual 30/35/40 Hz "efficiency" once loaded into an enclosure. Two very different issues. So you have to decide what kind of sound you are looking to achieve...more obvious output with more energy over a narrower bandwidth or a more linear woofer with deeper bass extension in a small sealed enclosure.
I'm not advocating either choice necessarily but just pointing out the distinctions.

David
Earmark Marine