Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-29-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Okay, I swear I didn't hit anything or drive the boat over 30 with the wedge down. It has always been a pain to reach thru that small hole in the swim platform and push those pins together and pull up at the same time, but it got to the point that once it is down it is almost impossible to get up without pounding the pins in individually with 2 or three people in the water. What a pain. This is a 2005 Malibu LSV Sunscape with about 100 hours on it. I took a good look at it out of the water and the side support on the right appears to be just slightly bent. Can't tell if this is new or it was always like that. In any case when you put the wedge down the pins don't accurately line up with the holes, offset by about 3/16th of an inch. So you can torque it and get it to lock down but i t is a real pain to get it up. I talked to the dealer where I bought the boat, Tahoe City, and where I get most of the service (same company different name) in Rohnert Park and they both said this doesn't happen, in fact they've never had it happen, and they called the Malibu tech service at the factory while I was standing there and got the same story. Even though there isn't a mark on it anywhere it looks like they might not cover it under warranty (three year warranty and I've had it less than a year) because if it worked better before I must've hit something. I don't think so, but who knows. Anybody else have anything like this with the wedge??
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Let me know if it goes unresloved and I'll see if I can help. They have had issues with the wedge, but none on the '05 that I am aware of. Stick with your dealer and get to a manager to see how they can help.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-29-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
in all likelyhood you probably hit something, probably nothing big, but enough to bend it slightly. I'd say just get a new strut piece for it to replace the bent one. $120 or so and maybe an hour to replace it and no more worries.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-30-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hey Danny, that's not been my experience with Malibu. I love that boat. It is big, smooth, fast and quiet. The service at both shops has always been friendly and responsive. If I had it to do over again I'd have gotten the Wakesetter fully tricked out, but who knew in less that a year I'd have a family that went from occasional wakeboarding between the wakes and tubing to 5 rabid wake hogs "we need more ballast, Scotty" Love my boat, but problems will come up.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Tee it up for Danny, his boat is by FAR better than any Malibu...just ask him!
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-30-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Jason, thanks for the offer. I'm thinking I might take my burr grinder and just widen the hole a little to make it easier to put down. Otherwise it is going to be a lot of getting cold in Lake Tahoe next week fighting with the thing. If it was up to me I wouldn't use it. I like the fat sacks much better and enjoy a rampy wake more than the wall the wedge puts up. Also, I don't think the boat handles that well with the wedge down.