Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
this last friday at midwest wakefest i was trying a roll 2 revert, came down on my board a little shy of 180 bounced and took an otherwise normal (or what should have been) crash. As soon as I hit the water i felt my rib break under the pressure of my vest buckle. I ride the oneil outlaw which is basically cardboard, and had it strapped pretty tight with the buckle to the left right under that rib. Anyone else had this happen?

Anyone else with a broken rib how long were you off the water? I think I could handle riding with pain in a few weeks if it was just the broken rib, but doc says I also seperated my rib from the cartilage and im worried that will be easily reinjured....

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Chris Stack had the same injury last year for the same reason.

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
nobody could believe that it was my vest that did it but when i fell i just knew thats what it was, almost makes the case for one of those more cushy cg approved vests huh?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-17-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a vest that protects the ribs and is coast guard approved.

anybody know of a really good one??
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
I did something like a couple of seasons ago. I still have two ribs that move around, get used to it.

What I did while the healed up enough, is used a Gul impact vest under a regular neo vest. Gul makes vests for Kiteboarders and their impact vest worked really well for me. I would not ride with just the impact vest, it doesn't provide much floatation.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-17-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
Did that same thing last summer with a CGA vest.
Took about a good 3 weeks before I rode well again, pain free that is.
I switched to the A-10 jet pilot vest with side impact protection. SO far so good.
Old     (hypo303)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-17-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
same problem here was doing a 360 and came up short, and I believe the vest buckle encouraged the cracked rib ...was off the water 2-3 weeks
take lots of advil...thats what i get for buying a vest at sams club ...anyone have any good input on a lightweight uscg approved vest
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
3 weeks sounds inspiring to me, but mine is not cracked its broken and seperated, im thinking ill be lucky to ride in six weeks......
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-17-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
I landed on my side in a CGA neo vest with buckles in the front, broke my ribs on the side, and did something to the cartilage in the front. I couldn't ride for a couple of months (could hardly sit up for a couple of weeks) and I still feel the cartilage in the front now, 1.5 years later. The cartilage also sticks out a little. Obviously, the buckle wasn't the problem.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
Not sure if you guys realize but we arn't playing golf here. The things we are doing are going to cause us to Crash every once in a while. Some are riding at 26 mph. Not to put bad thoughts in anybodys head but if you want to play, play hard but know that unless you are extremly lucky you will get banged up know and then but it's usually always going to be worth trying that new trick. Only thing I can suggest is when things break take care of your self and get healhty so you can get back on the water soon, and try to learn from your crash so you don't fall like that again. i.e. next time roll to your back or dive in what ever.
Moral of the story "It's not the jacket that's going to hurt or protect you"
Hope you all get better soon.
al
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-18-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
allen, i guarantee you if my belt buckle had been moved over an inch my rib would not be broken, but your right about playing hard......I was on my 9th set in 24 hours. But that is how wakefest rolls.......
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
Now that's what we like too hear Hittin it hard. Try a jacket w/out buckles (vapor). that's what I ride maybe that's why I don't see how a jacket could do that.
any how heal up fast
Late