Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Are you supposed to do something besides remove the prop nut to get a propeller off?
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-28-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
i think you have to have a puller to get it off. there is an article about this on wakesiderides.com it is in the how-to section.
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-28-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
http://www.wakesiderides.com/viewArticle.php?id=163

there the link to the article
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Pay extra attention to the area in that article about leaving the nut on the shaft when pulling the prop. Mine was a bear to get off and I was thankful the nut "caught" it when it came flying off the shaft. Good luck
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
The article mentions a $15 puller...I'd sure like to know where they found that. Ultimate Water Sports in Cordelia is quoting me $80 for the one they've got.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-30-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
You get what you pay for.....

The article referenced shows what I consider to be a cheap puller. A collar that goes behind the prop, another on the front and three long bolts to connect the two. They work, but they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes as you need to assemble on the prop.

The puller that I prefer looks like this:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=29762&fcat=

It looks more like a "C" clamp and just slips on in one piece.

My advice to everyone is to buy a puller and a spare prop and keep them handy. There will come a day when you need them, and having it in advance can save your vacation
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have been using the Acme Harmonic Puller. I don't use the C-clamp style anymore. All prop pullers work with vibration. Most people assume that you simply crank down on the nut and the prop is "pulled" off. Most of the time you have to crawl under the boat and strike the heel of the puller with a hammer to get enough vibration to cause the prop to "pull" off. Very rarely does a prop simply pop off with just a few turns.

The Harmonic Puller is a big prop nut. It threads on in place of your prop nut. You then stand behind the boat and give a hard wack with a hammer straight up the shaft - striking the harmonic puller squarely. The prop vibrates off - typically on the first or second blow. You have to have a good hit on it for it to work. Don't worry about your boat - it is designed to take 300+ hp and prop strikes without damage.

Like Rod recommended, a kit with a spare prop and all the tools and parts to change a prop on the ramp is essential. The one I sell is the Acme Weekend Saver Kit for $110. You can get it locally or at many other outlets. Most of the time I sell them as part of a replacement prop kit on Mondays.

Your weekend - your call.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-30-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Steve,

I have a nice puller you can use. I'm in the east bay area though. Let me know if you make it down this way.
Old    wingnut337            05-30-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I have also had to put some heat on it a map gas torch from wal-mart for $10 works wonders.
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm assuming with the Harmonic Puller kit you have to remove the rudder in order to get a square blow on the prop shaft?
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Go figure, I got home and started to put on a cheap $5 puller I got at ACE hardware and as I was installing it, the prop fell right off.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-30-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
I also use the Harmonic puller and no u don't have to remove rudder, just tapping the puller usually is enough, no hard hitting has ever been required. I paid like $25-30 for mine. Always lube threads with anti-seize or grease to keep it easy to remove ect... Works great.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-31-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
Before you use any puller, tap the hub with a hammer and then pull on the prop by hand. It may come right off. Most of the time, it will be on hard.
Old    grud8            06-07-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Who needs a prop puller, a piece of firewood worked just fine on Memorial Weekend ;-)