Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-25-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
Hey there guys, been a lurker here forever and finally joined the forums. Anyways, I'm looking for a CGA vest that is very minimal and not bulky at all or at least as much as would still qualify it as CGA.

Currently I have the O'Brien Team EVA vest, which doesn't fit me the best and is bulky as ****.

I heard most people like the Helium Swat vest or Helium Chrome. I've also heard people recommend Jet Pilot's Murray or O'Neil's Law? Anyways, I was coming here to find the bare minimal bulk jacket that remains CGA.

I'd go the comp vest route, but I'm a big guy, and frankly my lake is pretty busy so if I ever got knocked out, it's not exactly easy to get back to me sometimes with traffic, etc.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-25-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   
No help on this?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-25-2011, 11:10 PM Reply   
Be patient. It's 2am on the east coast
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-25-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
My hyperlite side entry vest is not bulky and is a great fit and im about 220. 79$ on evo. Or at least it was.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-26-2011, 4:42 AM Reply   
Have you tried searching the site? There have been a lot of threads on this, in the past, although nothing recent. I think the general consensus is a Jet Pilot Murray.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-26-2011, 6:15 AM Reply   
If your tall the Murray is no good. Bottom of it was up by my nipples.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-26-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
Damn Mark, you must be really tall....!!! JK..
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-26-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
+1 for the Murray. He is a write-up I did on my thoughts about the vest. http://wakeboardstl.com/?p=147 and I still wear it to this day.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
Check out the Jet Pilot Shane too. I bought both the '11 jet pilot Murray and Shane CGA vests online. After trying them both out on land, I liked the fit/feel of the Shane better. It's super light and not bulky and I feel like I have great range of motion in it.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-26-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Ok only 6ft 1 almost 2. I think if your sub 5'10" the murray would be awesome.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-26-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
I ride a Liquid Force Hinge... Love it!! Came from a Helium SWAT and after a couple scary crashes. Decided to go full on CGA... The Hinge is the best I tried on for my build. 6 ft. 160.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2011, 1:45 PM Reply   
Helium Swat comes in a CGA version too. I have been using it and it is pretty nice. It is longer than most by an inch or two. it is side zip entry, but the zip and the buckles are slightly to the front which i like so that if you bend sideways the buckles are not jabbing your ribs. the zipper is not sewn on the very edge of the fabric so that the zipper is not directly next to your skin... or basically there is a little extra neoprene flap that protects it if that makes sense. there is a SNAP (instead of velcro) at the top to keep the zipper up and it works wonders. I do tuble turns every time i go out and the back of the vest shows no wear. the straps have never had problems with twisting either which I LOVE LOVE LOVE, because i just hate strap twisting, especially if the twists are hidden under the neoprene and i cant get to them.
... now the negative. many people say it is like a comp vest, but i think it is about as thick as any other vest. it has no defined segments for bending, but it still bends despite. it is not the lightest vest IMO.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2011, 10:19 PM Reply   
Helium is the best in my opinion
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-27-2011, 1:25 AM Reply   
i think the lightest vest i have ever experienced is the Body glove eco vest. also i would say it was the softest vest too. That ecoprene and eco friendly foam and everything else makes that vest so light. BUT it totally stretched out on me and feels like it went up a whole size or more. not sure if the newer ones are better in this regard i have only experienced the first generation eco vest. ... maybe the fact it was so "soft" made it more stretchy too.

the next lightest vest i would say is the Hyperlite side entry vest. a budy of mine has one that is a size or two larger than my Helium swat i have and it weighs about the same if not slightly lighter. i would also say it is thinner. But i like the zipper better on mine and the zipper snap.

the new Capella vest by ronix is pretty dang kool too (from in-store experience only). most different design in a while, especially for front zips. tons of sectioning for mobility.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-27-2011, 4:25 AM Reply   
Check out the Oneill Revenge. It comes in both USCG and a Comp Vest. It's spendy but it's pretty rad.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-27-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Ok only 6ft 1 almost 2. I think if your sub 5'10" the murray would be awesome.
A friend of mine wears the Murray, he's 6'1", and the vest ends about an inch from his boardshorts (which don't show any crack, for the naysayers out there). Which seems to me like it fits.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-28-2011, 4:31 AM Reply   
O'Neill Law, super light and CGA. Just got one and it is the smallest CGA I have ever owned.
Old     (Delt725)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-28-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
+1 for the Oneill Revenge CGA. Great vest
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-28-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
+1 for the oneill revenge cga. floats well and is super slim.
Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
I have a XXXL Jet Pilot Murray 2009 Model that was worn twice but I am smaller now and its too big if interested let me know and I can send you a pic or two of it.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-28-2011, 10:15 PM Reply   
Ive worn about 10 different vests minimum and CGA by far the most movement and comfortable is the Law by oneill. I have had helium, three or four oneills, Ronix (when I rode them), hyperlite, jet pilot, jobe, LF, and I still turn back to Oneill every time. I know it must sound like I'm reppin them or somethin but really is the best (I currently rock the checkmate).

Oh and some cables like mccormicks require no questions asked a CGA
Old     (aBoMoFo)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-29-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
Another +1 for the Oneill Revenge CGA. I have an older one and aside for it's weight when wet I have no complaints. It does drain fairly quickly and they might have improved since mine though.