Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
With more and more people riding and learning to ride cables, we should gather some info on common practices/courtesy points that might not be that obvious, but will help out everyone. These aren't rules, just suggestions to make everyone's experience better.

#1) If you are not hitting any obstacles, it is better for the other riders if you cut towards or in the vicinity of the obstacles rather than ride down the middle, so that your waves are not hitting the obstacle at the same time as the person behind you is. This is as simple as cutting at it early and just cruising by, spraying it, or whatever. This just helps out the next person who may want to hit the obstacle.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-21-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
#1 perfect!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-21-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
+1 on #1. There isn't much more irritating than riding a set behind a guy that goes right down the middle and put a roller in front of every obstacle.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
#2 If you fall on a obstacle swim clear of the obstacle and then remove your gear.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-21-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
#3 Remove any teeth, skin or blood from the obstacle you just crashed on.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-21-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
#4 If you call something an 'obstacle' instead of a 'rail' or whatever it is stay away from it.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-21-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
#5 If you fail on an obstacle in any stage, it revokes your chance to become Ninja Warrior
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-21-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
#6 don't do anything on par with or above anything I can do so I look good!
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-21-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
#7 Don't try to hold on when you fall. When people try to drag out of a failed trick it consequently yanks the riders on other carriers
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-22-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
#8 If you are a wakeskater you still have to wait in line.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-22-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
#8 NO so annoying...wakeskaters always cutting. Their boring to watch anyway.
Old     (johny_malibu)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-22-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
^^^^
^^^^
AMEN!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-22-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
#9 NO SLAYSHING on the cable. If you are going to load the line and yank the cable all to hell, at least try your trick.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
I've only been to the cable a few times, but #8 I saw not being followed at all!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-22-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
How do they get to cut? When I went to OWC a few times (several years ago) there wouldn't be an opportunity for them to cut, as the line moved efficiently and there was always people on each rope. If you on deck or in the hole, you would have your board on and ready to go, and then just hop on down to the starting spot.

Do they have separate lines for them now? Are they buddies with the operator?
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-22-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
The wakeskaters at KCW do a good job of waiting in line instead of cutting. Well some do, some don't. Now if the wakeboarder in front of them are up and they are putting their bindings on right before they go I say its okay for them to go due to the fact that the wakeboarder is holding up the line.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
At TSR the wakeskaters just walked up to the front of the line. I'm not sure why they were allowed to do this.
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I've ridden cable all over and never see any "cutting" problems because of wakeskaters.

The 3% of people that think someone is cutting in front of them are the same ones whining about it on a forum because they didn't have the nerve to speak their mind when they were standing in line.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
^ I've seen it.

and you're right, I said nothing.... why pick a fight over something so stupid?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-22-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
so true Clint!
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
here is a link to good CABLE ETIQUITTE,
http://www.cablewakeboard.com/pages/first_trip/

If wakeskaters are cutting at TSR I haven't seen it unless the person in line is not ready yet and someone moves up a spot or two to keep the line moving if there is an open carrier. Their new line doesn't allow cutting under the deck, or at least it is very obvious if they do! Let an operator know!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
As for number two... I've found it much, MUCH quicker to pop the board off before I swim away than to try to swim with it attached. I mean it's lace down, lace down, one foot out, other foot out, swimming away quickly versus swimming swimming swimming, ten minutes later out from behind obstacle. If you can't have your feet out of the bindings before the second person behind you (not the one directly behind you), then you need bindings that are easier to get off for the cable.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
I thought the same thing Nick, but have actually found you can quickly swim out of the landing area pretty quickly for the next person in most circumstances. Then take it off.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
As a wakeskater, I think it's stupid to wait for somebody who is having trouble with their bindings. I've seen four carriers pass waiting on someone to get their bindings on. Whoever is closest to the front AND ready should get to go. It moves the line faster.

And Wakeskating is beast to watch if the person you're watching knows what they are doing.
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2009, 12:14 AM Reply   
http://www.cablewakeboard.com/pages/first_trip/

These are pretty OK except rule no. 3 and giving priority of obstacles over air tricks. Trick off the kicker shake the cable the same way as air tricks and on most of the cables there are places to do sliders and kickers and places to do air tricks, so you simply need to ask (or just watch what others do) where these places are and try to keep the line. The same way you should try not to make rollers over kickers and sliders for the rider behind you, you should try to not make rollers on places where air tricks are being done by simply keeping the line. I do understand why most riders prefer kickers and sliders, but I still enjoy air tricks pretty much, so don't spoil my ride, please!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-23-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Caleb, it's not fair when there are 4 guys lined up with their bindings on already and the wakeskater comes running down and goes after the first wakeboarder, and that is the case all of the time.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-23-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
I haven't really noticed that happening at OWC. Before they set it up so that it was obvious there are two lines people might have thought that. But now it's divided and clear that two lines form.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-23-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
rule number 1 is legit... ive always tried to keep in close if i am not hitting an obstacle so the person behind can sesh