Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-14-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
So I have been wakebaording for about 8 years now,however every year i get on the water no more than a hangfull of times. Also the only boat i have ever ridden behing was an 18' I/O with no weight/ no tower or pylon. I have found someone on my lake with an 02 X-Star that i am going to be riding with this Sunday.

Am I going to be in for a suprise when I cut into that wake for the first time? Anyone ever make a transition like that?

Thanks
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
I made a transition from a waverunner to a wakesetter LSV with full ballast. It was scary at first. Since your coming at least from a boat it should be easier, but you will notice a huge difference in size of the wake.
Old     (txadam)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-14-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
Yep, I ride behind an I/O normally but get out with some friends of mine every now & then (BU's, MC's, Nautiques) & it takes some getting used to the big wake at first. Behind the I/O I have to really rely on my technique and progressive edge and if I do the same behind the big wakeboats I'll get booted! I have to slow down a bit at first until I get used to the larger wake.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-14-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
Nah...there is no real difference. It is all a lie created by the boat manufacturers to sell their boats.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-14-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
hell yea you're in for a suprise!! you'll be suprised you never got booted like that!! just get comfy with it, take your time, then nail it.

you'll have so much fun.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-14-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
You will love it. I remember my first time out on an inboard, and it was a Malibu direct drive with a tower and the wedge, but I thought the wake was HUGE compared to our 17' I/O.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-14-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Derek, one of the biggest difference you will feel is how much stronger and a harder feel the wake is. I have an I/o that I ride behind and like Adam I get out behind my friends boats every once in a while and the size of the wake is different but for me, the bigger difference is how solid the wake feels
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-14-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
^agreed
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-19-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
I was defanitly suprised. It was so easy to go wake to wake. I was going pretty big for my first time behind a real boat. It was fully weighted too. I also attempted my first double up...and hit it (all luck) I didn't think i was ever going to come down. Thanks all, and to Jeff and Shiela for taking me out.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-19-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Once I get the pics I will put them up.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-19-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yeah , it kinda makes it hard to ride behind the I/O again , but it beats not riding at all !!!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Reading this makes me jealous. These boats sound awesome!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Jeremy, and its alot easier on the checking account.. it almost balances out the weight
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
I hope you don't have to go back to your old I/0... Oh never mind I see that you did indeed have to go back to the dark side. Bummer dude I knew that would be harsh...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I went from a fishing boat to a malibu response. Although the response wake with just the wedge is kind of small, it was a huge jump for someone used to a washy wake. Just take it easy behind the xstar. Just do a few 1 wake jumps and progress to 2 wakes. It can be scary at first, but after a few outings you will fall in love with that wake.